All reviews front desk staff portage place close to the hotel mts centre legislative building within walking distance decent size stayed here for nights short drive parking garage would definitely stay here again comfortable stay jets game enjoyed my stay bed was very comfortable hot tub university
Reviewed 19 July 2018

We arrived at this hotel after a long day of travel and were
'greeted' by a surly receptionist, Sarah. The entire check-in process ruined our experience and her robotic, impersonal approach to us was exacerbated by her threats to cancel our booking when we told her how displeased we were. There were lots of vagrants and suspicious looking people in the area around the hotel and the parking situation is less than desirable. You have to park in an adjacent parking lot and then take two elevators (one was being repaired). The area the hotel is in is very noisy which can be heard in the rooms. We heard sirens all night. The shower in the bathroom was badly cracked and had been repaired with glue which looked unsightly. The bathroom door didn't close properly either. Worst Holiday Inn experience ever and the worst experience of a 3-week road trip across Canada. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank WanderlustSR
Kyne H, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Winnipeg Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am sorry to hear your experience here was not to the standard expected. We will surly use this information to train were we may have fell short. I have shared your comments with the team to address the issues mentioned. For guests whom do find the downtown hotel to be noisy due to the busy nature of the area, we do offer ear plugs as a possible solution. Additional, our IHG app does offer a white noise option to assist in a good night’s sleep. We have shared your comments in regards to parking with the parking lot ownership and they are replacing the elevator at the moment and have assured us the new, state of the art elevator will be a great additional to our guests whom use this space during their visits. Once again, thank you for sharing and I hope you give us another chance to show you this was the exception during your stay.

Reviewed 10 July 2018

Pros - location to Winnipeg Art Gallery, Portage Place and the Bay
-clean
-great checkin/out process
-front desk was helpful in getting us a taxi

Cons - sooooooo noisy outside, it was hard to sleep. Sirens going, cars revving up and down Portage Avenue.
-The restaurant serving breakfast was horrible. Service was snail pace slow. Breakfast was burnt. No followup if we needed anything else. Some people just left, restaurant was not busy while we were there. Stellas across the street was a great breakfast place.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for commenting on your stay. We are happy our location was convenience for your stay. We apologize that your experience in our restaurant was not up to par. We will use this as a training opportunity for some of our new staff that are maybe falling short to our standards. We hope you have a chance to stay with us again in the future to see this was not our usual experience for our guests.

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

Booked it for two nights through third party and got the perfect rate for Canada.Hotel is right across the Hudson Bay Company building in beautiful downtown Winnipeg.Very clean and nice place.We got a standart double queen room.Spacious enough with pretty fast wifi which was surprising compare to most places.The front desk staff was very polite and helpful giving us advice on what places to visit and where to eat.Also providing us with a free downtown map with all the places listed.There was no breakfast but who needs it since there is Tim Hortons across the street.:)))The only downside is if you are coming with a car like us - the hotel does not have it's own parking.There is a level parking lot with few spaces reserved for Holiday inn guests and if they are all ocupied you'll need to go above to the ramp parking lot.Maybe I didn't pay attention but was surprised when charged $30 for two days of parking.That's the only downside of our stay.Otherwise it's a perfect and nice place for everybody at reasonable price right in the heart of downtown Winnipeg.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to Winnipeg. As with all major downtown hotels, we do not own the parking and as such do have to charge for parking, however this partnership does allow for in and out access to the attached parkade during your stay and currently is priced lower than most downtown hotels. We are happy to hear our location worked for your visit and you experienced our true hospitality from our team. We hope you have a chance to visit again soon!

Reviewed 7 June 2018 via mobile

Location good, but the hotel facilities real tired, like back to 80’s.

I’ve reserved two twin bed rooms 3 months in advance, eventually only got 1 twin room available upon check-in, I’m not happy with that particularly when I’m exhausted after a long trip on the day, but the first message from reception staff was to remind me that “you’ve booked just a standard room, means you have no choice on the bedding”. I understand base on hotel’s terms and conditions, room bedding is subject on availability however, I don’t feel it is the proper manner on dealing with the request of your guest.

For service recovery, hotel offered us complimentary breakfasts on next day, indeed I don’t think it could help much to compensate the bad impression.

For the breakfast on the next day, right when I just sit down, the first thing I heard from the staff is “I couldn’t promise it will be a quick one, you gotta to wait 20-30 min for the food”, again, it sounds like we are not welcome to be here. I understand they might be busy by short of staffs, I heard that there was only one chef on duty, but then it’s never be your customers’ issue. Perhaps the staffs realized I’m not happy by I’ve been told, the lady staff, think she is a senior stuff, then try to chitchat with us and showcase they’re care and follow our order and I’d say she was doing quite well on that. End up the food came in 30 min, like exactly what I’ve been told in the beginning. I wouldn’t say anything bout the food quality as it’s not a fine dining you wouldn’t expect much, but honestly, I guess 30 min waiting for breakfast is quite not make sense for me.

I’m not saying the staffs here are bad, in fact they quite nice and keep smiling, but then I just felt the hotel standard is low, and the staffs are lack of training.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Kyne H, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Winnipeg Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2018

Thank you for sharing your comments. As an employee of IHG, I am sure you are aware that the management of the hotel is always available to discuss concerns as well you are also aware of the restrictions and conditions to using the employee program and that room types are based on a availability at time of check. I am happy we were able to accommodate a room move for you the next day even though the hotel was sold out. We will share your comments with the staff and management in the restaurant.

Reviewed 25 May 2018 via mobile

If you come on your own vehicule beware this place has no private parking lot and its share with the university of winnipeg.
First of all i made clear of early check in because i came with my baby.
The early check in was not possible.
I paid for the parking service something like $15 and got the yellow receipt for my windshield. Multiple times i told the girl exactly where my car was parked to which she responded that the was no problem as soon as i had the yellow hotel receipt. What a surprise when at evening my car had a PARKING TICKET FROM THE CITY OF WINNIPEG FOR PARKING IN THE WRONG SPOT.
Are you kidding me?. I dont know how the beds are because i prefer to go home than staying there. Other than that my baby enjoyed the pool. But not staying here again.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Kyne H, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Winnipeg Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2018

We apologize if you experienced an inconvenience in regards to parking. As with most downtown hotels, we do not own the parking although there is ample parking for 300 plus vehicles in the multi-level parking or surface lot beside the hotel. We do apologize if the signs were not clear in regards to where to park for hotel assigned guests in the spots labelled 24 hour reserved Holiday Inn hotel guest only parking. As these are IMPARK managed parking lots, we are unsure how you may have received a ticket from the City of Winnipeg. Again, we do apologize for the inconvenience and are happy to hear your baby had time to enjoy the pool area.