US$148
US$125
  • Restaurant
US$134
US$70
MainStay Suites Winnipeg(Winnipeg)(Great Value!)
US$108
Priceline
US$72
US$57
US$50
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 August 2016

I stayed at this hostel for 4 nights in Winnipeg. This seems to be the only hostel in Winnipeg. It's located about 20-30 min walk to downtown (the Exchange district, Via Rail station, the forks farmer's market, etc.). The location is decent because it is relatively close to restaurants, grocery stores, etc. (Try Stella's if you stay here). I was a bit worried because of the one negative review on here but in my opinion, it's not as sketchy as that guy made it sound. Yes, the closest liquor store had barred windows...so just don't go there and find a better one. As a solo female traveller I felt safe walking around in this neighbourhood during the day. At night, I'd recommend walking with others or taking a bus if possible. Similar to any city, it's safer to walk alone at night when you don't know the city.

This hostel is basically an old house that has it's room converted into hostel rooms. It's got mismatched furniture but in a way, it adds to it's character. At first, the layout is a bit odd because the showers are on the main floor and basement, although there is a washroom with a bath on the 2nd floor. The kitchen is well stocked with spices, plates, pots, pans, etc. There is also a good amount of food storage space.

It's a hostel, so don't expect luxury. The staff and other travellers I met were friendly, but the hostel is kind of outdated (could use some renos) and not as clean as it could be as my rating reflects. Overall, I'd stay here again because it is the cheapest option out there and it is close to downtown.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
3  Thank Michelle L
Reviewed 10 August 2015 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed one night here during a road trip out west. This was the best priced place we found in Winnipeg, and we had a comfortable stay. It is very much a hostel, decorated like a cross between an eclectic cottage and a university students house. It won't be for everyone, but worked for us!

Room: We had a private room on the 2nd floor. Bed was comfortable, sheets were clean, and it was quiet for sleeping. Lots of outlets, wifi ok, seating and tables to put your luggage. Like the rest of the house, it had a hodgepodge of decor and mismatched furniture, but who cares when you are sleeping with your eyes closed :) Carpet was stained, so we didn't walk around barefoot.

Bathroom: Nice bathroom on the second floor, right by our bedroom. The showers we used were in the basement. They are TINY, so my 6'2" boyfriend had trouble showering without smacking his limbs on the walls, but they will get you clean.

Common areas: We did some dishes in the kitchen, seemed like it had everything you would need if you wanted to prepare some food. There's a fridge where you can store stuff as well. A group of people were watching soccer in the living room, which looked comfortable, although we didn't stay long enough to spend time hanging out.

Location: We had a car so this was very easy for us to find, and easy to get around. Street parking right in front of the hostel was very convenient. Nice restaurants nearby (use the hostel provided map - great recommendations).

Overall we would recommend this place to anyone on a budget, or anyone looking for a traditional hostel with a relaxed social atmosphere.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emily P
Reviewed 27 May 2015

The Guest House is a big house right downtown and we really enjoyed our stay. Since it is a hostel they offer shared rooms but we booked a private room and checking in was easy. People working were friendly and helpful and the host Bill is genuine and down to earth making us feel welcomed. We travel a lot and restaurant and fast food just doesn’t cut it so we liked being able to use the kitchen to make meals. They try to keep it clean and organized. Many of the guests are from around the world traveling and most agree that the “House has a good vibe.”

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled on business
2  Thank hungrybears
Reviewed 21 February 2015

I stayed here for a night when I was passing through Winnipeg at the real end of the travellers' season. In fact the hostel was closed for the season, but ...

A quiet location (it was December) and there was street parking available. The location was great for me as I had a medical appointment at the local hospital the next morning. Bill (the host) is a fountain of knowledge of the area and the city

Room Tip: This is a hostel with dorm rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank tmac100
Reviewed 4 October 2014

I started hosteling in 1977 in rural Ireland, a time when everything was worn yet comforting. So it is at Winnipeg's Guest House International, not a place for modern amenities as much as a refuge from them. This hostel is for individuals who crave an atmosphere dominated by simplicity, humility, and the brother/sisterhood of shared space, random conversations, and simple kindnesses. Not for everyone, sure, but for me it was a sanctuary from the world of "customer service, value, and complimentary wi-fi." The Guest House is an easy bus ride from the airport (off at Sherbrook and Sara) and a comfortable walking distance to downtown Winnipeg. It's a place of quiet welcome, hot tea, pot luck dinners, and a living example of authentic hosteling.

Room Tip: I was in Winnipeg to deliver a presentation at a conference so I needed some extra quiet at night to work. The private room on the second floor was perfect. Feel asleep at night to the rain outside my open window. Again, a place for people with very simple tastes. There was wifi, it worked most the time. Late night soaks in the old tub upstairs were a special treat.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled on business