“Great stay overall - poor free breakfast”

The Listel Hotel Whistler
Ranked #19 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Room was clean/comfy and staff was very friendly. The free breakfast left a lot to be desired - warm milk for cereal - warm OJ from the machine - nasty pre-made waffles... but it was free and enough other stuff that tasted good to tide me over. Excellent location - was to the lifts in 5 minutes from our door (bike park runs)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 September 2012

I cannot stress enough how bad our "short" stay at this hotel was. This hotel is not worth even the really cheap rate I paid for it. I thought I was getting a wicked deal on Hotwire when I booked this hotel but the moment we walked in, I knew it was a huge mistake.
Okay, first let's discuss appearance. The place was dirty, dark and dingy...and this was the lobby/entrance...we haven't even gotten to the rooms yet. Upon arrival on a bright beautiful day, the place looked old, tired and smelled funny. I thought I was being fussy, so I hid these feelings and went up to the reception to check in (this was after 3pm). A very rude lady informed me that check in is only at 4 pm. Considering it was 3:20pm and I had two children (one baby) with me, I was taken aback by her inability to accommodate me 40 minutes early. Shrugging that off, we decided to go grab a cup of coffee and wait it out. We asked the receptionist for her opinion on a good place to grab a quick bit and coffee and she was so indifferent to us. She gave us a map of Whistler and looked disinterested in giving us any more information. We felt uneasy about this place and considered looking for a different hotel but decided to try and tough it out.
Okay, checked in after 4 pm...got upstairs and were shocked at the fact that our room that was now ready looked absolutely filthy. The sheets were dirty, the pillow covers had a yellowish stain on them and the sink in the tiny washroom was dirty. We didnt even put our bags down...we just called the Four Seasons Hotel and got ourselves a room and went downstairs to check out.
We get to the reception to check out and there's a guy there now. We tell him we don't want to stay and are checking out. This guy didn't even take enough pride in the hotel to ask us what happened and why we were checking out 15 minutes after checking in. He disinterestedly checked us out and the had the gall to ask us to pay f one days parking. That was it.....I had stayed even tempered all through this miserable experience but at that point I let him have it. I told him that in my life I had never experienced a hotel where the staff are this disinterested in their guests and so lackadaisical about their jobs. Not once have I checked out of a hotel and not even been asked how my stay was or in this case, why I was checking out so quickly. I made it clear that we were not paying for parking when we had not stayed the night nor even used their parking for more than half an hour. He quickly agreed sensing I was not in the mood to have anyone argue with me. We left and I can assure you, we will never be coming back to this hotel. Honestly, I don't think anyone should!!! Whistler is overflowing with beautiful hotels for every budget....take my advice and find a good one. There are plenty...and if you're in the mood to splurge or find a good deal, stay at the Four Seasons...so worth it!!! Had a blast the rest of our holiday in Whistler.

Room Tip: We chose a "deluxe suite" and that was terrible, so I can only imagine how horrid the regu...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank AjSara
JoeMckinnon, Front Office Manager at The Listel Hotel Whistler, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

The message seems to be that this guest was not happy with their hotel choice through Hotwire and felt the Four Seasons was better equipped to deliver the experience they were looking for. We are a smallish independent hotel with, I believe a fantastic location, a welcoming and friendly staff, nice rooms, interesting art and a great restaurant! But we're not everyone's "cup of tea".

With regards to the more specific comments, I am a surprised by this guest’s impression of our property. Our Lobby has recently been renovated and generally speaking garners positive feedback.
Our guaranteed check in time is 4:00pm which is consistent with most hotels in the resort. If an early check in request is made we do our best to accommodate based on availability, however, if we are unable to accommodate we are always happy to offer parking and baggage storage for guests convenience.
Many guests prefer large chain hotels’ to small independent hotels’. I think it's important to know the kind of experience you're looking for in a hotel... there are definitely up-sides to both experiences and it really depends on the individual traveler as to which is the right choice. Regardless, as a guest if you have concerns with the service or product provided, ask to speak with the manager on duty. I guarantee he/she wants you to be happy.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

We were happily surprised at what a great hotel this was, especially for the price. It was by far the cheapest we found in Whistler Village so we had some trepidation.
Location: middle of Whistler Village.
Cleanliness: Very clean throughout the property and room.
Staff: Very friendly and helpful.
Room: Small, A/C, fridge, coffee maker. The beds were very good - firm and comfortable. The only bad thing was the A/C was noisy and there was a bit of outdoor noise at night.
Cost: $70/night (in late August), parking was expensive ($18/day), free continental breakfast.
Would we go again? Definitely! It was much better than we expected and the bed was probably the best hotel-bed I've experienced.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a non-pet room (if you have no pets)
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank magrail
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Would we stay at the Listel Whistler again? Yes.

When you think about what you want in a hotel and how it rates it really does depend on what you are spending right? Rosie and I had a short stay here on our way to other places. The Listel ticked all the boxes for us. It's a short walk to anywhere from the Listel. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The room was clean. Complementary breakfast. All in all it's not five star and silver service but then it does not claim to be. The standard equals the price. There are places in the hotel that could use a facelift but be fair what's more important? Some scuffed floor tiles or a good bed?

We were two hours early having just arrived from Australia. We were able to park the car and get sorted out. On the car parking, on the surface $18.00 seems expensive but have a think about that. It's a secure car park. Other parking is limited. I put the car in about 1.30 in the afternoon and took it out the next day near 3.30 pm. From what I could see parking infringements are easy to acquire in Whislter. You be the judge on value for money.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike W
Reviewed 28 August 2012

The hotel feels like it's in need of a renovation. It was comparatively cheap and had complimentary breakfast. And we were 'upgraded' to a junior suite. But the room still was old and stuffy. 18$ parking per day is just too much IMO.
I would probably look for a different place to stay next time I am there.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family