“One of our favourite pubs in Victoria.”

The Penny Farthing Olde English Pub
Ranked #119 of 1,285 Restaurants in Victoria
Price range: US$8 - US$15
Cuisines: Irish, Pub
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hampshire and Monterey
Transit: There are regular scheduled buses that travel down Oak Bay Ave.
Reviewed 24 June 2018

The Penny Farthing is set in the middle of Oak Bay Village, and the whole area is well worth a visit (or many). The pub has comfortable booths or small tables, and an upstairs area that makes it able to handle a lot of people. Food is good; the menu is fairly typical for a pub, but there is usually a special that's a little different. Lots of beers on tap, reasonable prices, and a pleasant atmosphere. Service is excellent and friendly.

Reviewed 23 June 2018

I've eaten twice in the past couple of months and each time has been very good. The food was cooked exactly the way I liked it. The service was attentive without being smothering.

Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

Went early on a Thursday evening, was busy with a good atmosphere. Staff were friendly and service was quick. Food and beer were good.

Reviewed 1 June 2018

I work from home and when I want to be a part of the community I like to go to a pub or restaurant to work from instead. My favourite place to do this is the Penny Farthing Pub. Not only is the food fast and delicious, but the service is personable and genuine.
I ordered a Spanish coffee, I was told it would be a few minutes while they make fresh whip cream. I appreciated that the server let me know and I was impressed with the quality of the fresh whipped cream!

When I go out it is important for me to feel appreciated and comfortable, The Penny Farthing does that.

1  Thank victoriagirls
Nancy S, General Manager at The Penny Farthing Olde English Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

Thank you for your kind review, we take pride in our service and I am happy you can make the Penny your home away from home.

Cheers
Nancy

Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

I have been coming to the Penny Farthing pub with my family and friends since it opened many years ago. I have seen many ups and downs, with great meals and terrible ones, but overall it has maintained a decent menu and good staff. However, after my meal yesterday, I will not be coming back to the pub and will be recommending the same to my friends and family.

First: they have changed the menu again and not updated it on their website, with higher prices and a more limited menu.

Second: I went at an off-peak hour, so not many people were there. It took a long time to have service, which has not very welcoming, and slow. The waitress kept disappearing and didn’t know anything about the menu. When we finally got our food, there was no cutlery or napkins, which took quite a while to arrive. Also, one of our dishes took longer to arrive and the rest was cold by then.
In the meantime, the background noise right next to our table was a server drying cutlery and continuously and violently throwing them into the drawer. It was not a pleasant eating environment.

Third: nothing was as described in the menu. One person ordered the garden burger. For $16 it was completely different to the menu’s description online and a dollar more. The burger itself didn’t have the feta cheese that was on the menu, and the side salad was the same garnish as the burger in a tiny cup with three cherry tomato halves. For the money, it was not worth it. It was not a side salad, and most of the burger was the arugula garnish.
I ordered the side Caesar with the Welsh rarebit. The salad came first. It was a gloppy, over-dressed pile with massive, uncut pieces of lettuce, oily croutons, and way too much cheese (it looked like someone emptied a tub of Parmesan in my salad). I have had this salad at the pub many times in the past, and it never looked or tasted like this. The Welsh Rarebit wasn’t. I am British, and I know rarebit. Can you imagine three small pieces of a baguette, with a tiny sliver of cheese melted on top, a separate spoonful of Dijon mustard as a side, and a haphazard pile of salad as a garnish served askew on a piece of paper over a board, that dropped salad both on the floor and table when it was finally served to me. When I asked if the rarebit was enough for one person, I was told that the side salad was too small which is why I ordered the other salad. It was a completely unnecessary purchase and the salad on the rarebit was more than enough. Due to this, I ended up with a horrible salad that I didn’t need to buy, and another salad that had fallen everywhere and was unappetizingly served. I also didn’t get and had to ask to be served the pickled onions, which weren’t traditional small pickled onions as should be, but were thin slivers of white onion in vinegar. Rarebit should be a cheesy sauce which was what the menu stated. Whoever the chef is, they either cannot cook traditional English fare, or they need to read the menu and learn how to cook what is promised.

In the end: my meal was unappetizing, frustrating, expensive, unpleasant, and we left feeling cheated and disappointed. The last straw was when we asked for the rest to be packed up, and were eventually given take out boxes at the table and made to do it ourselves, which is not acceptable in a restaurant charging these kinds of prices. I have given this pub many chances over the years and we have weathered many chefs and menu changes together. This was the last time and the last chance. For such a beautiful venue and atmosphere it deserves better, and so do I.

Nancy S, General Manager at The Penny Farthing Olde English Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2018

Good evening,
I am so sorry about your experience the other evening at the Penny Farthing Pub. It seems very out of character and I apologise. I have passed on the feedback to our chef regarding the Welsh rarebit. She mentioned that you are correct it is not a traditional rarebit but that was her intention to do something different. She spent a lot of time in London and it seems to be a new way of presenting the rarebit.
I understand your frustration with the website. I have contacted our web company and the menu page had flipped back to an old page. it has been corrected now.
I appreciate your feedback as we really take it to heart. We want the pub to be a welcoming place for everyone. I hope we can change your mind about the Penny. Please message me personally at nstewart@vicpubco.ca. I would like to discuss this further and offer my apologies.