“Mediocre and overpriced ”

Ithaka Greek Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 1,270 Restaurants in Victoria
Price range: US$8 - US$19
Cuisines: Greek, Canadian, Grill
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Fernwood
Description: Ithaka Greek Restaurant is a family-owned business that celebrates culinary and cultural traditions through authentic, healthy and lovingly-prepared food. Be our guest!
Reviewed 13 July 2018 via mobile

While on an overnight stay in Victoria, BC, we visited Ithaka Greek restaurant. We have a couple of favorite Greek restaurants in the states and we were hoping to add another to our list in Victoria. Unfortunately, Ithaka was a disappointment. Very overpriced for the quality of food. A charge for six small triangles of pita with hummus—really?? Lamb and chicken souvlaki were just ok—salmon appeared to be previously frozen. When we questioned the server about whether or not the salmon was fresh or previously frozen, she said they get it once a week and it is just refrigerated—not so sure. On a positive note the service was friendly and attentive.

1  Thank randee66
Dimitri A, Owner at Ithaka Greek Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2018

Hello randee66,

We are pleased to have had you be our guests at Ithaka, my families Greek restaurant during your brief stay in Victoria. Your appetizer is something your ordered so I am not sure why you would not pay for it? (Please note there is however a pita bread cut in 8 piece, not six.)
When one is used to certain types of ethnic food, and they try ethnic food when visiting a different city one of three things likely happens. #1 they can love the food in the place they are visiting more than back home. #2 they can think that back home is way better than the place they are visiting. #3 they can think that it is pretty much the same. It's all relative.

We are among the few family owned and operated Greek restaurants in Victoria. We are blessed that the overwhelming majority of locals in Victoria love Ithaka. Also we are fortunate that many visitors from all over the world enjoy our food and what we do. Can we please everyone, no. It is impossible not only for us, but any restaurant or business to ensure that every single person will be a fan. Maybe people from Victoria visit some of your favourite Greek restaurants in the united states and they are "disappointed". Would that mean you are a poor judge of Greek food? No, the reason being is that everyone is different, people see things different, and often times like what they are used to. People like different things and are creatures of habit.

As for the salmon it is fresh wild salmon, NEVER frozen delivered weekly.

It is nice to hear that there was a positive note regarding the friendly and attentive service.

On behalf of my family and the Ithaka team thanks for your review.

Dimitri Adamopoulos

Write a ReviewReviews (1,147)

Reviewed 12 July 2018

This was our second visit to Ithaka. On our first visit the maitre d was very rude since we used the wrong entrance to the restaurant, which was off Yates St. which is the main street. How were we supposed to know the entrance was at the back. Anyway the food was quite good then and not bad this time. We eat at a lot of Greek restaurants and this would be middle to lower end in terms of quality. The rice was OK, chicken slouvaki a bit dry. What we didn't like was the price, which was much too high for the quality and 2nd rate ambiance. You felt you were being nickled and dimed with extra charges for a Greek Salad. The server then tried to justify it by saying its what the customers wanted. Really? All in all an average experience. So it doesn't get too negative the server was very nice.

1  Thank Rocketrod22
Dimitri A, Owner at Ithaka Greek Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2018

Hello Rocketrod22,

The front entrance to our restaurant is on cook street, right before the cook and yates intersection. The Yates street side is our emergency exit. As tables are situated on either side of the emergency door, it is not ideal to have guests open the door interrupting guests dinner. As I am not sure of the circumstances this may have been a reason the team member had concern. Perhaps this may have led to some confusion. As there is a 8.5 " x 11" sign at eye level stating "Please use main entrance door around the corner", sometimes people still try and open the door. Whatever the case may be, I do apologize on behalf of the team member for what to me seems a simple misunderstanding.

I have a little bit of difficulty getting an understanding of your review. "the food was quite good then, and not bad this time". "The rice was OK". Reading this is a little confusing. What I did hear you mention is that you didn't like the price. Every one is different, every place is different, not everyone likes the same thing.

What I can tell you is that we prepare our homemade Greek food fresh everyday. We are among the few Greek family owned and operated Greek restaurants. We offer really good Greek food, with fantastic friendly service, in a relaxed atmosphere.

We have received the trip advisor certificate of excellence 5 years in a row (Every year we have had Ithaka). We are currently rated number #1 family restaurant in Victoria on trip advisor. We were awarded best Greek in the city by the people in Victoria.

It is wonderful to have had all of these guests visit Ithaka, appreciate all we do. We work really hard to give our best to every single guest a great experience that walks through our door. However, no business can please every single guest. What pleases us is that the overwhelming majority do in fact like what we are about, and what we offer.

Reflecting on your review, overall it was quite negative, (with an insult to Mama Maria's decor) but that is ok. As one of the owners, I would be more than happy to hear your concerns with our food, pricing, etc. Please call Ithaka and ask for Dimitri, and I will be happy to answer your questions. I am pleased you were happy with your server.

On behalf of our family and the entire Ithaka team, thank you for your review.

Reviewed 11 July 2018 via mobile

Our male waiter was delightful and that’s where the positives end. Spanakopita should not be over cooked, but at least it was filled with healthy spinach. The menu was not the best for my husband who is vegetarian. My chicken Alfredo was heavy with cream and lacked flavor. It is a welcoming, popular restaurant, but we were really disappointed. I recommend the chef travels to Tacoma Wa in October during the St. Nicholas Greek festival and see what delicious Greek food should taste like. Their chicken or lamb dishes and desserts are amazing.

1  Thank Ciao49

Hello Ciao49,

I am glad that you thought your server was delightful. It's unfortunate during the quality check, you neglected to inform your server that your spanakopita was over cooked. This would have been taken care easily, and we would have prepared another spanakopita for you without hesitation. There are in fact two positives in your review, as you did note that the spanakopita was filled with healthy spinach. Your husband who is vegetarian could have order one of our salads (Greek,or Mama Maria's salad), veggie dolmades with lemon dill or vegetarian tomato sauce, gigandes (Greek giant butter beans), a falafel or veggie wrap, vegetarian baked lasagna, vegetarian spaghetti, duo dips, fassolada (Greek bean soup) and the vegetarian platter is a favourite to name some of our vegetarian menu items. Unfortunately I am not able to send Mama Maria to Tacoma washington during their ST. Nicholas Greek festival. I am aware of the festival, and Greek festivals across North America are known to have fantastic Greek food, dancing, etc. It's like when I go to visit relatives in Greece, I know better than to advertise which aunt is a better cook or is my preference. Everyone is different, not everyone likes the same things all the time. The east coast flavours differ from the west coat flavours, different places, different cities, different countries. But what we know here at Ithaka that the overwhelming majority of our guests really like what we do. Maybe if someone opened a Greek restaurant from Tacoma, for whatever reason it was not a hit. I would be pleased to hear in greater detail your unfortunate experience, feel free to call Ithaka and ask for Dimitri Adamopoulos. It seems so disappointing, I am quite surprised that you failed to inform your delightful server that you were unhappy. Please give Father Seraphim at Saint Nicholas greetings and warm hello on behalf my family and me.

Thank you for your input.On behalf of my family and the entire Ithaka team enjoy your time in our beautiful city of Victoria.

Sincerely

Reviewed 10 July 2018

Live just around the corner and have eaten here many times.
Excellent food both pizza and greek food is good. Hardest part is selecting off the menu with so many good choices. Reasonable prices top it off.

Hey Glen,

Thank you for your positive vibes, and support as a local neighbour. We do have an extensive menu full of lots of great choices. Have you ever tried one of our platters to share?

on behalf of my big fat Greek family, and the entire Ithaka team thank you for your review.

p.s we don't do pizza

Reviewed 9 July 2018

Food was good, but this place nickels and dimes you! You pay extra for feta on your Greek wrap. Have been to many many Greek restaurants and this is the only place that does not offer a starter Greek salad with a $26.00 souvlaki meal nor do you get pita, our meals came with rye bread. We spent well over $100 for 3 dinners. Disappointed to say the least. Tried another place a few days later and we were not diappointed, the food was great, the cost about the same but we started our meals with Greek salad and meal also came with pita.

1  Thank homer065
Dimitri A, Owner at Ithaka Greek Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2018

Hello homer065,

I am glad that you thought the food was good. Adding feta to a pita wrap is an option, however there is a charge for that as you mention. Someone can choose if they would like feta on the wrap or not. Many restaurants offer items that include certain things...but it is not unusual for restaurants to charge for add ons even on things such as gravy, mushrooms, etc for example. There are many Greek restaurants in Canada and all over the world. That does not mean that every Greek restaurant is or should be the same. How many Greek restaurants regularly perform Zorba's dance? I cannot expect every japanese restaurant to make the exact same food or have the same sushi, etc. Every place is different, every guest is different, and everyone likes different things. Perhaps you were disappointed because other places you go have everything you like on a plate, that could be at restaurant or a mall food court. There are really few family owned and operated Greek restaurants in Victoria left, Ithaka is proud to be one of them. I wanted to let you know that our homemade bread is wholewheat blend and is made fresh daily in our kitchen, it is not rye bread as you mentioned. We do try our best to prepare high quality, homemade, Greek food with authentic Greek flavours. Our family and Ithaka team work very hard to make our guests visit to Ithaka a great experience. This last week we just received the award for best Greek in the city for the 3rd year in a row. The trip advisor site you reviewed us on has just awarded us with "the Hall of Fame Award" for receiving the certificate of excellence for 5 years in a row. Not every single guest will love any restaurant, however we are extremely pleased that the overwhelming majority of our guests like what we do here at Ithaka. In the future, at any restaurant of note it is always helpful to let management be aware of any issues/concerns/problems etc. A properly managed restaurant will look at options to hear your concerns and you would be surprised what could happen. Having a bad experience, being bothered by it, then going online and venting doesn't really do anyone much good. Like I said, places that are managed well, and care about their guests, always look to find good solutions. The quickly disappearing "human element" of listening, understanding, & seeing all sides is sadly replaced by the screen, and the keyboard warriors.