“Family dinner”

Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Harris Green
Reviewed 27 July 2015 via mobile

More than one person recommended this restaurant. It was amazing! We had the chef's choice family menu and it did not disappoint! 2 courses and 6 different food options! One of the best meals ever! If you are in Victoria you must go to this restaurant. The staff makes you feel relaxed and at home!

Reviewed 26 July 2015

I originally wanted to go to Brasserie L’ecole but they had at least an hour wait. I had difficultly finding another top TripAdvisor top rated restaurant, so I eventually found Cafe Brio. We went in there without a reservation so we were a little worried. However, the person who greeted us (who seemed like he was the proprietor) assured us that we would have a table in 5 minutes. Unfortunately, it was more than 15 minutes. That wasn't too bad though, and we were seated.

The place is a bit easy to miss as in has a somewhat nondescript front. Parking is probably also a bit difficult, but we found a parking space in front of a bank located a few doors down. The restaurant seemed to be jumping that night even though it was a weeknight.

Service was quite poor. Although the proprietor was friendly, the waiter (who seemed like he was possibly a relative of the proprietor) was quite rushed throughout the evening and took a long time to get our order. And once we ordered, it took a long, long time for the food to get back to us. It looked like there were more "regular" patrons in there that he spent more time with, so we were quite disappointed by the service and lack of attention.

The food itself was disappointing. We ordered the brio prosciutto, a half order of the pan roasted king salmon, a full order of the roast duck breast, and creme brulee. The prosciutto was ok, but it seemed on par with the quality I would get at Trader Joe's. The sides to the prosciutto (which was seemingly a wasabi/mustard type sauce) was also forgettable. The king salmon was not done very well. The roast duck breast was mediocre, with a somewhat forgettable sauce. The creme brulee didn't seem like it was freshly made. At the very least, it was extremely average in taste and presentation.

I like to support family owned restaurants, but this experience was sorely disappointing from the ho hum food to the relatively poor service.

3  Thank lsli88
Reviewed 24 July 2015

I have dined here many times over the years, being a Victoria resident, and each time it surpasses the previous. Had being looking at the menu and was hooked on trying the maple grilled quail and the poached duck egg on vegetable ragout. Flavours are outstanding, and the portion sizes are perfect. We also had our server Matt, surprise us with a selection of the housemade salumi and cheeses to start and they were superb. There is always a featured local bc wine and I always tend to try them, great value and fantastic wine.
As always, friendly service, lively atmosphere and ambiance but you can still have a great conversation amongst your table.
Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed 24 July 2015

Dinner at Cafe Brio was superb. I started with a salad (large enough to share with my husband) and followed that with a half-portion of rockfish (plenty enough food for me). The fish was cooked to perfection - not dry and so full of flavor. The owner came by to visit our table often. He's a great character and the restaurant has a great ambiance. People are happy to be eating there, you can tell. The food and overall experience was so good, we went back two nights later for a drink and to chat with the owner again at the bar. Don't miss this restaurant or you'll be missing out!

Reviewed 23 July 2015

Our hotel recommended this restaurant. Once we found it, we were thrilled. (It's at least a 15 minute walk from the waterfront, and we missed it at first and ended up walking back toward the water, then back toward the restaurant. We finally grabbed a cab!) The restaurant has a nightly chef's special - a five course meal served family style that the chef decides upon at the last minute. A family sitting next to us had that and appeared to be thrilled with their selection. I would have ordered it, but my husband and I just weren't that hungry. I had a Caesar salad and the halibut. My husband had a pasta dish and duck. We were both happy campers. We had a chocolate & pistachio dessert, along with a cherries and cream dessert. I was not too impressed with the first, but would definitely recommend the latter. My husband wanted to have a glass of grappa after dinner and asked the waiter about this liquor. The waiter ended up bringing five different bottles to our table and did a great job of educating us about the origin of the liquor and the differences among the different bottles.