“Owner is Loving and Kind !!!!”
Review of Victoria Bug Zoo

Vancouver to Victoria and Butchart Gardens Tour by Bus
Ranked #13 of 184 things to do in Victoria
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Victoria Bug Zoo opened its doors in 1997 and has been showing visitors of downtown Victoria our awe-inspiring bugs ever since. A visit to this must-see mini zoo offers an excellent opportunity to view and experience live tropical bugs from around the world. All the animals are alive and in tanks. Discover roughly 50 fascinating species including giant walking sticks, beautiful praying mantis, glow-in-the-dark scorpions, hairy tarantulas, and Canada’s largest ant colony. Knowledgeable tour guides will introduce you to the wonderful world of bugs, give a wealth of information about the animals on display, and provide a safe bug handling experience for the more adventurous. You can choose the level of interaction you have with our friendly animals. Don’t forget your camera to document this unique experience! The displays are ever changing so come in and be amazed by the extensive collection of invertebrates from around the world any time of the year. This stop is sure to thrill everyone; from children, adults, bug-lovers to even the more skeptical visitors! Tours always in progress, so no matter when you come, you are always right on time. Don’t miss this unforgettable, hands-on adventure while in Victoria, BC!
Victoria, Canada
“Owner is Loving and Kind !!!!”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I just wanted to write to those of you who are saying bad things about the owner of the Bug Zoo. I appreciate that you had a bad experience but I hope you can cut her some slack. I have known the owner for a few years now as I met her because I was hired to watch her pets for her. From the time I met her and all her animals I knew I met a women who’s animals are her very life and they get nothing but the best care and love. She is devoted to them. I also do animal rescue and she has time and again donated time, and money to our organization as she is also dedicated to helping those animals who are less fortunate than her own. I realize you had a bad experience and that is unfortunate. But please don’t judge her as a person and her entire business because of one incident that is clearly being told to the public by one side only. None of us truly know what really happened that day as the dogs I know are loving and friendly. As well the women who owns the store is kind, caring and loving … Please try not to judge, and hate .. we all do the best we can and she goes above and beyond helping others in her community. She is not the person you are portraying her to be … The picture you paint is inaccurate and not the women I have known and who has given her heart to so many …

Visited March 2012

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Rude owner who is not child friendly”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Owner is just after money at all cost no matter how ridiculous. Refused to go in and get me when my infant son who was in the lobby with my husband awoke and needed nursing. Instead told my husband to go in and she charged him full price to go in for 10 seconds to tell me the baby needed to be fed. (my cell phone had died) Refused to refund the money because he had set foot in the doors. Rude and insensitive. Also overheard her making a rude comment about another customer in the store area. She has no customer service skills. Very small inside and crowded. Overpriced. Owner needs to sell it to someone with people skills

Visited March 2012
9 Thank P C
BugZoo, Owner at Victoria Bug Zoo, responded to this review, 10 March 2012
Experience has taught us over the years that to run a busy first rate facility open to the general public, certain policies need to be in place. We want all visitors to enjoy their experience, and the “entrance policy” is necessary to help achieve this mission. In order to minimize disruption to our ongoing guided tours, we cannot allow people to just come and go in order to make plans or check on friends and family—for all the various reasons that people have for wanting to do this; unfortunately, it is not an uncommon request. These kinds of disruptions make it extremely difficult for the tour guides who are working very hard to educate and entertain a diverse group of people. And, of course, the front desk person cannot leave the desk and the cash register unattended in order to go find a friend or family member for someone who has chosen to not go into the zoo. We hope that families and groups of people, who are splitting up, for whatever reason, will make clear arrangements for meeting up later. And the front desk person often attempts to help ensure this when they see families separating by saying to those not going in to the zoo that they won’t be able to go in later just to check on their family (if they come back looking for them). Most people are very understanding of this. It is not unlike asking to go into a movie theatre to find a friend: most of us just would not ask. Sometimes—perhaps just because the Bug Zoo is such a friendly place?—people don’t immediately understand that asking to do this at the Bug Zoo is equally disruptive. Thanks for the space to respond to this comment.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Not a child friendly experience”
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I am 30 years old and have lived in Victoria all of my life. My husband's cousin and his 4 year old daughter were visiting from Ireland last week, and really wanted to go to the bug zoo. My husband and I have a 6 month old so we thought it would be a fun family thing to do.
When we arrived at the bug zoo I was told I could not bring my stroller in, but could leave it in the gift shop area. This was fine with me as I thought it would be fairly safe there. We went in to the bug area, the 4 year old loved it, and the employee giving the tour was very knowledgable. I left the bug area earlier then the others as the baby was getting fussy. I went to sit with the stroller and found my child's toy had been taken off of the stroller by a dog that was running around the shop (I am assuming this was the owner's dog). The dog definitely belonged to the lady behind the counter. There were a couple of dogs that were running around in the gift shop area. I have two large dogs so I am very tolerant of dogs, and the things that they get into. The thing that really bothered me was that when the 4 year old with us came out of the bug area, one of the little dogs growled, and snapped right in her face when she reached to pet it. Of course she then started crying and we left. The woman behind the counter didn't seem to care at all that her dog snapped at a child. She instead told us that the dog "is not good with children" after the fact that it had growled, and snapped at a child. Why would you bring a dog that is not good with kids to a "family friendly place"? Seriously?! I would NEVER go back! I think its only fair to share our experience with others. I would hate for this dog to actually hurt a child.

Visited February 2012
13 Thank L C
BugZoo, Owner at Victoria Bug Zoo, responded to this review, 4 March 2012
As the owner and manager of the Bug Zoo, I would like to thank the writer of this review for letting us know about her difficult experience with my dog, and for the chance it gives me to think again about how Maggie, Ginger, Josephine and Angelo (my dogs) interact, especially, with younger visitors to the Bug Zoo. Most people who meet them agree that they are adorable small dogs (6 to 20lbs). They are a Havanese Poodle cross, two with "top knots" and Josephine literally smiles at people who approach her with affection! The dogs are generally very comfortable with all of our visitors. They are very well behaved and obedient. I do not let them roam freely, and they are never allowed in the exhibit area. I monitor their whereabouts quite closely when they are in the giftshop. Mostly, they are either in the back office or behind the front desk with me when I am there. I know from many experiences that they add to the friendly welcome our guests receive. So—and I’m afraid I can’t actually recall the incident described—it’s very unlikely I would have said that any of them aren’t good with children, unless in some context that the writer has omitted. Sometimes a very young child will, quite naturally, make a sudden movement or noise that alarms one of the dogs, and I wonder if that’s what happened in this case? The Zoo is often very busy, with many children of all ages, and of course, we must rely on the parent or caregiver to closely supervise the youngest ones, including their interaction with the dogs. I often ask parents of young children if they want me to put the dogs away if a child is showing fear. But when someone asks me if they can pet one of the dogs I try to help ensure that it is a positive experience for everyone. Angelo and Josephine are just puppies so I want any interaction that they have with people to be positive because I don’t want them to learn to be afraid of anyone, quite the opposite. If a toddler wants to have contact with the dogs I often ask the parents to help. I want everyone to love ALL animals. I want my dogs to love all humans. I would never want anyone to have a bad experience with my dogs. So I’ll just finish by saying that I’m sorry that this writer was upset by her experience with one of my dogs, that I too am horrified by the thought of any harm happening, and that I will continue to do my best to make sure that all interactions with my dogs are positive for everyone.
I’ve posted a couple of pictures to show you the two puppies….Angelo and Josephine.
Lake Cowichan
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“This place really Bugs me!!!!!”
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Really neat place to get up close and personal with a wide oray of bugs and creepy crawlys

19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“If you have kids or just like the critters, this place is for you!”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Im 24 and still love this place, you can handle some bugs, learn lots about them, their place in the eco system and what they do. Its tons of fun for kids!

Visited February 2012