This hotel was low priced and we were just staying one night. It is a little disconcerting to drive up to -- looks like an old motel - BUT the rooms are newly remodeled, very clean and very nicely appointed, I would recommend them. The lobby also is a car rental agency lobby and that is what it looks like not warm and inviting. And our room in the back, while quiet, looked over the parking for the agency's rental trucks. The person that checked us in was very friendly and helpful -- definitely an employee that I would recommend that they hang on to. Also, while not being right in the downtown area this is very close in and driving to the waterfront, etc is very close.
While the lobby left much to be desired, the hallways are bright and cheerful and very clean. Everything passed the "smell" test. The room was very small as was the bathroom. The furniture, carpets, bedding and mattresses appeared new and it was was very nicely presented. It had a mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker. The things that could have been better: The air conditioner/fan unit did not work and the room was intolerably stuffy. In the morning I realized the windows opened but it was an uncomfortable night to say the least. There were no washcloths in the bathroom and the towels (while new) are small and thin. The sink has a rubber plug but the plug did not fit. I thought maybe it was for the bathtub but it had its own and they were different sizes. I wear hard contacts and need to plug the sink so that I don't lose the contact so this was something I really needed. Also, the times that we entered the lobby someone was almost always outside smoking right by the front door so we had to walk through the smoke to get in the door. I did appreciate that the whole motel is non-smoking.
As I said the clerk that checked us in goes beyond expectations -- giving us directions and restaurant ideas, etc. The clerk that checked us out did a good job but wasn't as warm and friendly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Arbutus Inn is located in Victoria, British Columbia and offers 52 guest rooms. All guest rooms are non smoking and have private bath, air conditioning and in room coffee/tea. Free parking and free hotel WiFi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia and HotelQuickly so you can book your Arbutus Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Arbutus Hotel Victoria
- Travellers Hotel Victoria
- Travellers Hotel Central
- Arbutus Inn Victoria, Canada - Vancouver Island