All reviews sticky wicket pub great location night life liquor store basic room yogurt third floor heart of downtown inner harbor ferry douglas museum parliament
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Room was very clean and nice new hardwood floors. Good location for walking to sites, museum and shops. Parking is a bit of a walk and the breakfast was good but not many healthy choices. Still would recommend this hotel.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Joel C, Director of Sales at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

MauraDee. Thank you for the review. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We got a "deluxe queen suite" and were quite thrilled with the location of the hotel, but the amenities left something to be desired. No coffee maker although it had a small refrigerator. Although the room had a separate sitting area, the entire room was very small. We had a room on 3rd floor facing the street which was noisy even with window closed. Only one window opened 4" for fresh air. No A/C, just a small fan on side table. Continental bkfst was mediocre (waffles were popup toaster style, but toasters barely warmed them up). Not much selection for fruit, however, lots of coffee/tea/juice. I appreciated the hard boiled eggs though. Overall, it was an ok place to stay a night or two.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Sandy, Thank you for taking time to write this review. I hope you enjoyed our beautiful city.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I had originally reserved a room with two queens but arrived as a single so felt the hotel would have an easier time renting the two queens and advised I would be fine with a single queen. It took a while but I was finally given a single. The room was on the first floor facing the front of thr hotel right on Douglas. I was meeting with our group so did not check the room carefully. When I returned for bedtime I tried to sleep but the noise from outside was terrible, people going outside for a smoke sounded as if they were in the room, cars, motorcycles and buses went up and down the street all night so no sleep. Requested a change to a quiet room acros the hall (inside room) next morning, but was moved to an upper floor facing the side street. Quieter but still a little noisy. As I had only the one more night I just used it to sleep and left the next morning.
Hotel amenities were fine, Internet restaurants. Buffet breakfast was also pretty good with good coffee. Staff were okay but after releasing the double queen room I should not have been given the worst room in the hotel ! Would not stay here again. Do not recommend this hitel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing front of hotel very noisy, side street a little better.
Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends

Atlaflyer, I will stop by the Hotel front desk today a speak with the Front Desk Manager regarding this experience. I do appreciate you gave up a larger room but the trade was defiantly not in your favor.

Reviewed 7 September 2018

The Strathcona Hotel is in a great location for everything in Victoria..close to the harbor, shops, restaurants and bars; and has many restaurants/bars to choose from onsite as well... but the customer service could definitely be improved upon.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Joel C, Director of Sales at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2018

Scott, Thank you for your review. The Hotel frond desk manager also reviews TripAdvisor comments and I will personally stop by and speak to her.

Reviewed 7 September 2018

What hotel does not have air conditioning in this day and age, in Canada? Better yet, during an air advisory due to forest fires. No other way to get air circulation except through opening the window and letting in smokey air. How is that even acceptable. There was no desk or chair in my room, which under normal circumstances would be okay, but I was on business travel and needed it. I was told this was an upgrade. Finally we had reserved their <<boardroom>> to host guests for a 3 day meeting. Their boardroom is a sectioned off portion of their pub, with a bar, where guests are required to sit on high stools. Incomprehensible for 3 days straight. We obviously cancelled our reservation after the first day and found another venue. I do not recommend to anyone!

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business