“Slow service, good food, kids' menu available”
Review of Heron Rock Bistro

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: James Bay
Reviewed 8 July 2018

We came here due to the great reviews on TA, made reservations to dine before 6pm on a Sunday evening with the family. It wasn't busy but we waited for a long time to order and then to receive our food -- definitely over an hour from the time we walked in -- not great for hungry kids. Prices were reasonable from the kids' menu ($8 pasta; $7 cheeseburger, which included drinks). The food was good (chicken avocado salad/ gnocchi) but not all my mussels were cooked to completion. I wanted to like this place as there were definitely locals dining here and it's a nice, relaxed atmosphere but servers didn't seem concerned about us sitting there with no food to eat for that length of time. Disappointed.

1  Thank Canucksontheloose

Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

The food was delicious, and the service excellent. My seared albacore tuna was cooked to perfection. The Reuben sandwich also got rave reviews, as did the chicken and dumplings. Other meals were just as good. The bread pudding lived up to the recommendation from an earlier visitor.
It is a bit tucked away, but well worth the hunt.

1  Thank Elizabeth R
Reviewed 13 June 2018

This place is kind of hidden in a strip mall sort of store front in a neighborhood, but the ambiance inside, food and service are all outstanding. I enjoyed the lamb shank so much for dinner that I went back the next morning for breakfast.

1  Thank Jim R
Reviewed 14 May 2018

The food was the only thing I can say about my experience that wasn't horrible! The waitress decided to pick a fight with me for no reason. Rude condescending attitude from all the staff who seem to think self entitlement is good customer service. Management are ineffectual and can't take criticism of any kind, no accountability to customers who feel discriminated and abused by the staff.

1  Thank ell11112018
Reviewed 4 May 2018 via mobile

5 adults dined at the Heron Rock and were all impressed with their meals, but my burger was the best I’ve ever eaten!
The patty was tasty and the bun was home made and so delicious. A chipotle onion relish on burger made it taste so amazing that I ordered it again the second time we dined there. Friends had the vegetarian Po Boy, crab cakes and moules and all were declared delicious. Live music and people from the neighbourhood add to the ambience of the Heron Rock Bistro.

1  Thank Kathy M