“Feels like Paris”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Gastown
Reviewed 14 October 2017

This bistro is in an older building, small and intimate, with a kitchen you walk past to get into the dining room and whose meaty, garlicky smells pervade every corner. I just love that!

The menu is more about French classics than innovation, and that's not a bad thing. Escargot, moules frites, steak frites, pates, French onion soup, duck confit, etc--they're all there, along with dishes featuring chicken and salmon and a la carte sides like creamed spinach and buttermilk mashed potatoes.

We were disappointed that the 'frites' appeared to be from food service supply frozen vs. fresh, but everything else was terrific. Would give a special mention to the outstanding Alsatian tart/flatbread (often called pissaladiere, but not here), wherein the onions were augmented with rich blue cheese and bacon instead of the traditional gruyere and anchovies.

Desserts were good, too. Especially appreciated a refreshing plate of fresh oranges with herb (basil? mint?) and topped with a single scoop of orange sorbet.

1  Thank UnrepentantFoodie

Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

My wife had the Rib eye steak with frites and a Cosmopolitan. She enjoyed very much. I had the salmon with mashed potatoes and a garnish of olive tapenade and capers. Quite good. I had a Moscow Mule cocktail. We both had the salad and dessert. My wife had the lemon tart and sorbet and I had the chocolate espresso cake. Both were a perfect ending.

Reviewed 20 September 2017

Came across this restaurant by accident on our last night in Vancouver and so glad we did.
It may be a little more expensive than some others but worth every penny or dollar as they say in BC.
I had the Homemade country style pate with grape chutney which was excellent and my wife had the French onion soup which she said was the best ever. For main we both opted for the 8oz steak offered with half fries and half salad, a nice touch. Although we probably did not need dessert we simply had to sample something so I went for the Roasted pineapple with gingerbread ice cream and star anise syrup. This may sound like a strange combination but it was incredible. My wife had the Chocolate terrine with coffee cream sauce and once again it was delicious.
The staff were helpful, attentive and suggested various options and wine to accompany the meal. Wine is expensive but that is standard compared to U.K. prices.
Overall a meal to remember and a suitable venue for a pleasant evening out or a special occasion.

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

We made reservations and were glad we did as this is a more intimate restaurant. While some prep work is done ahead of time on their food everything we had was delicious. Great wine list and desserts that really finish a meal.

Reviewed 9 September 2017

It's an elegant bistro with lots of taste. We loved the decor and service. Food could be better but it was ok.