“I LOVE Vikram Vij!”

Vij's Restaurant
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: South Granville
Calgary, Canada
“I LOVE Vikram Vij!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

The best Indian food ever, I love it! I went with my husband, niece, two nephews and sister in law and everyone loved it. The food tasted amazing, the service was great and everyone loved their meals! It was very easy to find and there was ample street parking plus there is lots to see and do nearby. I had the pleasure of meeting Vikram Vij last year and his passion for food is unmistakable! I have two of his cook books and I use them all the time, they are simple and easy recipes to prepare!

Not to be missed!

• Visited November 2011

Vancouver, Canada
“Excellent Indian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

Absolutely fantastic food and service. Usually a long line to get into the restaurant but well worth the wait!

London
“It's a total dining experience! So much more than just dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I've been to Vij's once before in summer 2011 and couldn't wait to return (a long way from London UK). Back then we also tried the refridgerated packaged take-away food for a more casual and so-delicious picnic. Last night was a brilliant encore performance and will definitely return again. London's food scene is world class and even in such a competitive market I bet Vij's would scoop awards and have constant queues!

I love the format of no reservations. You have to commit the evening to the experience (or queue early for the first sitting). It levels the field nicely. Recently in Colmar, France we stumbled on a cool restaurant and discovered it was the hot spot only to be asked at the door if we have a reservation. The hostess's comical but serious reply to our 'no' was a pinched face and sucking air through her teeth. So we left disappointed. Not so at Vij's. You can plan ahead or turn up spontaneously - I love that. 'Waiting' for a table is not really waiting. It's more like foreplay ;-) it's essential to get in the mood for the main event (maybe not the best analogy since I was there with family, but you know what I mean). Rushing straight to a table and missing the first glass of wine with the complementary appetisers and taking in the warmth of the space, food and people is to miss some of the romance.

At the table, the food is brilliant, innovative, bold and massively flavourful. I won't describe each dish, I just wish I could try them all. I've never seen Indian New York steak so gave it a spin and was well rewarded. My brother splashed out for a couple bottles of So Na (Napa) Cabernet Sauvignon with big fruit, smooth tannins and complexity to match the food perfectly.

The cooling effect of the Kulfi (ice cream) dessert and Chai was a lovely way to relax and enjoy the afterglow (returning to my inappropriate analogy).

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Lnd_UK_99
Toronto
“Lamb Popsicles!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

Amazing food! Visited Vancouver in November and a friend took me to Vij's. I had the samosa and the lamb popsicles. food was amazing! Vij should open a restaurant in Toronto! Can't wait to go back!

• Visited November 2011
Olympia, Washington
“Gourmet Indian Food - Excellent!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

This restaurant does not offer the typical Indian restaurant menu such as Tandoori dishes and curries. Instead, it has a limited menu of delicious gourmet dishes, Indian style. We arrived at opening time and there was already a line of customers waiting for the doors to open. The restaurant is fairly small, but luckily, we got a table for two. Service was attentive and excellent. While we waited for our dinner, we were offered samples of appetizers and Chai tea. We ordered the winter squash appetizer, the chicken breast in lemon-ghee dressing, and the pork tenderloin. Prices are VERY high compared to typical Indian restaurants, and portions not as large. We shared one appetizer, each had an entree (2), and shared dessert. Our tab with tip came to $100+. And that's without having any alcohol. Not a cheap night out. The food was very well seasoned and very tasty, however prices seemed high.

• Visited February 2012