“Amazing service and food”
Review of Tojo's Restaurant

Tojo's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Tojo's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #244 of 4,040 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Shaughnessy
Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

The food at tojo was incredible but what made it even more special was the excellent service. I forgot my hat at Tojo and 20 minutes later my hat had been delivered to the hotel I was staying at.

Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

Tojo was recommended to us bybs friend who had visited a few years ago and we weren't disappointed. There were 8 of us all from Australia. We shared all the dishes and it was the best quality Japanese, quite expensive but we drank very good wine as well. Owner chef Tojo is very visible and loves a chat. I would highly recommend Tojos.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

Tojo's is located on a somewhat unfashionable business boulevard but once you cross the threshold and take a seat you know you have been transformed into a state of relaxation and pleasure. This is an elegant restaurant with attentive service, and how they want to please you! On advice I ordered the omakase, which is sort of Japanese for: whatever pleases the chef to prepare that day. I got a mix of fabulous sushi, as tender as I have ever tasted, including the geoduck and scallops. Snapper came cooked and as sashimi. After 5 courses and a special sake brewed from waters of Niigata, I was ready for a wonderful dessert. The final course was a group of sushi, including a special one created by Chef Tojo. The whole experience was accentuated by wonderful service by at least three waiters. This won't be inexpensive but you will long remember this lovely Japanese experience. On balance it is the best in a city not bereft of wonderful sushi and sashimi meals.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

My husband took me here few years back, he's been to Tojo's before and he wants me to get the experience as well. One of the best ever Sushi place I've been so far - fresh whole fish sashimi in front of me! And yes, unforgettably delicious! Visit to believe it! Service was standard. But sure was an award winning experience! We'll recommend.

Reviewed 17 June 2017

I read reviews from many different sources including past customers. The reviews were mixed but decided to give this famous restaurant a try.

Service: 4/5 until the end of dinner then 1/5 (see the last line of this review)

My servers were both Japanese speaking female servers with friendly attitude and seemingly well trained demeanor. They were very attentive to our table.
Each dish was explained to us in detail when served.

Meal: Quality - 2/5 Value - 1/5

I ordered $80 "Omakase" dinner set; 5 courses of chef's choice dishes.

I have tried few "Omakase" dinners in that price range here in Toronto.

* Each dish served was far from impressive.
- "Vinegared octopus" as one of 5 courses in Omakase dinner is very disappointing. Any decent J restaurant in Toronto would have this as an appetizer.
- Sauces lacked subtlety of flavour which is expected from any medium priced menu items; overwhelmingly salty or just too overwhelming.
- I suppose Sansho leaves should not be washed to keep its delicate scent. Only reaction I had when a cute little ant immerged from underneath my Sansho leaf was to flick it off as soon as I can. Sorry ant, my food!
- Four pieces of sushi and not-so-perfect egg(tamagoyaki). A little daikon lantern was a good touch for presentation. But I expected at least five+ pieces of skillfully made nigiri sushi. Mediocre at best in quality and arrangement.

Summary:
Comparing to other similar set dinners in other restos, this one is not worth trying.

Trivial but speaks to the quality of the establishment:

- No chopstick rest - really??
- A charge for green tea
- As soon as the bill was settled in cash, on the table in front of us, one of the servers started to count the cash; as to say we may not have tipped properly. Truly a new "low" in my restaurant dining experience.

2  Thank Yasphalt