“RIPPED OFF!!!”
Review of Pickwick's - CLOSED

Pickwick's
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Came to Vancouver for a weekend visit, we wanted Fish n Chips and my husband had heard of this place so we made this our first stop! I had the halibut which was a VERY thin piece that tasted very "fishy" not a good quality of halibut, my husband had the cod which again was VERY thin, all skin, no meat, gravy tasted "canned". We are both in the restaurant business and my husband is British so we do know good fish n chips! But the WORST part was when he totally ripped us off on the exchange rate!! We weren't sure what the exchange rate was and hadn't gone to a currency exchange yet so when we went to pay he told us it was 75 cents US to every Canadian dollar so he charged us $38 for a $28 meal!!! That's just bad business!! If you want REALLY good fish n chips head to Burnaby!!

Reviewed 13 April 2013

The world's first fast food, and most enduring, this Marpole gem serves up the old standby the right way. "Wrapped up in newspaper" is no longer acceptable for hygienic purposes, which is fine, but while observing this policy properly, Pickwick's comes close to making the experience authentic.
You can choose chips' partner from a few different fishes, along with other good choices, to make up a tasty weekend meal, or lunchtime treat.
Although Pickwick's has a couple of outdoor tables, there's not a lot of outdoor seating. It doesn't matter, people come for the classic F&C to either take home, and chow down in front of the TV, or, don't let it get cold, wander around the neighbourhood, eating the too-hot-to-handle grub. Go on, grab some deep fried and get your lips greasy!

Reviewed 3 January 2012

The fish are perfect and there is a little something extra (maybe a spice?) in the batter that I love. I love love love the fish, I usually get cod or halibut and I'm happy with either. The fries are great too, but the fish eclipses them. The tartar sauce is good too.

I tried the deep fried pickles and they were ... not great.

The portion sizes are huge and the staff is friendly.

They have outdoor seating, but eating on Granville sounds like hell to me.

Great for taking somewhere and eating on a summer day!

Reviewed 7 December 2011

We asked about a good fish and chips restaurant when wan arrived at the airport in Vancouver, and several people mentioned Pickwick's. It's in a tiny shopping center close to the airport. The fish was very good..served right out of the fryer, hot and fresh tasting...a large portion. Not much seating here...3 tables outside and a couple inside. We enjoyed the fish and chips and went back twice. This is not a fine dining experience, but a local joint that has been around for years with a good product.

2  Thank R B