“Birthday dinner with family”

Kirin Mandarin Restaurant
Ranked #1,207 of 4,138 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 31 March 2017 via mobile

We participated in a birthday dinner for a family member earlier this week in Vancouver. Kirin is a centrally located Chinese restaurant in downtown Vancouver and parking is not a problem. Our food was absolutely great. There were five of us and we each ordered a personal preference and consulted with our waitress who helped in the selection. The menu is extensive and she definitely helped by ensuring we had a variety of vegetables etc. The veggies were particularly fresh and flavourful. Lemon chicken was great, prawns, ginger beef with black bean sauce...everything tasted great. We had been here before and our waitress was known to us and she was really friendly and we joked about the music in the background and she ensured that as plates emptied, room on the table was cleared..just great service. Needless to say we will go back again!

1  Thank Milan S

Reviewed 28 March 2017

The menu here is extensive, and some of the food is very expensive, but for the most part, the prices are reasonable. Yes, there is an $800 soup on the menu, but there are also plenty of menu items for those of us that don't eat $800 soup. All of our dishes were very tasty and well prepared, and good advice from the waiter on what we might and might not enjoy. Definitely one of the best Chinese meals we've ever had. I would go back again.

Reviewed 25 March 2017

Last weekend I met friends at “Kirin Mandarin Restaurant” in downtown Vancouver. The menu offered a good selection of food. The prices were considerably high. We ordered an Assorted Cold Appetizer Plate, Beef with Green Onion, Honey & Ginger Beef, Honey & Garlic Spareribs, Deep Fried Duck Shanghai Style, Eggplant with Pork in Spicy Sauce, Green Bean with Pork in Spicy Sauce, Love Bird Fried Rice, Shredded Chicken Chow Mein, Assorted Seafood Chow Mein and Shanghai Style Thick Noodle. The items at the cold appetizer plate were not so impressive; my favourite was the smoked fish. The sliced beef shank was not, so great; I like it more marinated. The drunken chicken didn’t drunk enough – the wine taste was barely to sense. Also, the “vegetarian Goose” was not the best I have eaten. All other dishes were quite ok. I liked the deep fried duck – it was as crispy as I love it; my friend agreed that this was a good item. The only severe issue I had was with the tea: the tea pot was always just refilled with hot water only. And since such a pot contained less than 10 cups of tea (we were 11) the pot had to be refilled quite often. As the result the last filling of tea taste like plain water while the fist serving was extremely strong. When I tried to get some water to dilute the first strong serving of tea, it took me almost ten minutes to catch the attention of a server.
Generally, the meal was good. The prices for the dishes were quite high, but not higher as in other restaurants I visited that even were not situated in the downtown area. The service had certainly room for improvement in order to fully justify the high price level.

1  Thank Ben W
Reviewed 6 March 2017

Dinner on a weekend with a large group. Service was good
and the food was excellent. This restaurant has been in
business for 30 years and it's easy to see why.
Recommended.

Reviewed 17 February 2017 via mobile

We were recommended from our hotel and we got there and were seated at same time as another couple. We got tea right away and ordered immediately, we received our appies greasy springrolls and tasteless wonton soup. Then we waited over 40 minutes for the other two dishes we ordered. The asian couple seated at the same time as us received all 8 dishes they ordered before our two were delivered. The servers never came back and gathered around our table talking asian around us. When we got our kung pao chicken it had 80% peanuts and low quality chicken cuts, no veggies just celery. Our sweet and sour chicken was mediocre at best. They brought jacket covers to all the other tables, but blatantly ignored my jacket over my chair. The fish in the tanks looked like they were dead or dying and it was the worst service I have ever ever received. Vancouver has so much better to offer than this place, and the downtown hotels should stop recommending this place as it reflects poorly on them. I didn't tip anything and when we left the two ladies at the front reception never said thank you or goodbye. Never eat here!