“Not the best place for a pre-show meal”
Review of Da Gino Ristorante Italiano - CLOSED

Da Gino Ristorante Italiano
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 5 October 2014 via mobile

We arrived at 5:30 PM, well ahead of our show at the theatre which was scheduled for 7:30 PM. While I received my appetizer right away, my partner, who hadn't anticipated the long wait, had an anguishing 45 minutes to go before getting his main meal. This was a little unexpected as they had a set theatre night menu and allowed for no substitutions- we assumed that service would be quick. My drink (a canned lemonade) also took a while before being served to the table and meanwhile, we were given a basket with two pieces of bread. My appetizer was a caprese salad which consisted of four slices of tomato and four slices of baby mozzarella with a drizzle of balsamic. Granted that the dish itself is supposed to be simple, there was no effort involved in preparing it. For our mains, I ordered the pasta alla genovese and my partner ordered the spaghetti bolognese. They were both extremely basic. I enjoyed mine but my partner's bolognese only had trace amounts of meat in it. Overall, I wish I had taken some of the other pre-theatre options into consideration and took the time to search for reviews before making a decision.

1  Thank Jamronesque

Reviewed 8 September 2014

Great spot for a good meal with good value for downtown Vancouver. Excellent Antipasta and Pastas. Not too fancy but with very friendly and helpful servers.

Reviewed 31 August 2014

We went here because it is conveniently located to the Queen Elizabeth Centre. We ordered prawns & Caesar salad as Appetizers the prawns were like little bullets but we had a half a karate of wine & just ate our apple. When we received our main entree my husband's chicken was cold & my halibut was so over cooked it was stringy. I advised our waiter that I would like to send it back. The chef came & kicked us out of the restaurant. I was so shocked and have never been treated like this anywhere. I was not rude. This place is suspect for this type of disrespectful behaviour.

1  Thank Adam R
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I dropped in for a quick lunch of Fettuccini Elegante - with imported wild porcini mushrooms in a creamy tomato sauce. The service was speedy and the taste was authentically Italian.

Unfortunately, the restaurant was not busy. Perhaps because it was a Monday. It should be packed for lunch. Reasonable prices, excellent quality, great service. I will be back soon.

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

My husband just took me here for our 5 year anniversary and we had such a great time. The service was spectacular and the food was delicious!!! Top notch! We went to Italy last year, and this was by far the best Italian food since then. We will definitely be going back. So much on the menu I wanted to try everything. One of the best Caesar salad dressings I've had. Prices were reasonable and the wine selection was as well. And, they are in the entertainment book so it was a great deal!!!!! It is family runned so it made it feel that much more authentic.