“Bon Appétit!”

Price range: US$20 - US$31
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Commercial Drive
Description: Absinthe Bistro offers modern and classic french cooking on Commercial Drive
Reviewed 21 July 2017

This drive bistro serves a seasonal menu with prix fixe options. The food is remarkably well prepared & presented. The best part is that the portions are not so small as to elicit the potential cringe that a hungry male may make when weighing the price to food ratio. The sablefish was prepared perfectly; seared, yet incomprehensibly tender throughout & not a hint of overcooking. The sauces on my appy & main were so scrumptious I mopped them up with the bread - yummy. My fish binge of tuna & salmon ceviche followed by the sablefish filet was very satisfying. The exposed ceiling & tile floor make for a rather boisterous atmosphere, a minor consideration for those seeking complete solitude while they eat.

Date of visit: July 2017
2  Thank K K

Reviewed 16 July 2017

We went for my wife's birthday. She had the ceviche appetizer and sable fish as a main, which she said was great. I had the beef which was also good. We ate on the small patio - which offers a 'colourful' view of the locals. It's a small quaint restaurant with a limited menu but well prepared and presented. They provided a nice birthday plate and candle for her. The service was outstanding and we would definitely recommend it. Keep in mind it's only open for dinner.

1  Thank Jammer05
Reviewed 26 June 2017

Walking home from Absinthe, my wife said "The last time I had a meal that good was the last time we were at Absinthe". Their summer menu is excellent. The "Beet Gazpacho" was a fresh and tasty surprise. he recently added Bouillabaisse has a beautiful balance of fish, shellfish and broth. It is rare that all three components come together and have equal presence in the taste of this dish. This restaurant always delivers consistent quality that can only be found in the best french restaurants.

2  Thank Bob S
Reviewed 5 June 2017

Had meal here with two good friends and was delightfully surprised at the quality of the food. Limited set menu but something there for any taste. I had the lamb loin which was wonderful and my pals had the Sablefish which they both enjoyed. Limited wine list but the amazing cocktail list make up for that. Tried three different drinks and all were interesting and worthy. Cool little space and service was great. Well done.

1  Thank VancouverHipster
Reviewed 1 June 2017 via mobile

We called ahead to be sure there would be a table for us- and I'm glad we did! We got a spot out on the patio on a beautiful day. Both waitresses were attentive and friendly. Music was interesting at times but not imposing.

The FOOD was amazing. Every last bite. We got the goat cheese and avocado appetizer. It was amazing and the bread was perfect.
The menu is short and simple and changes frequently, but I don't think it's possible to go wrong! My entree, the duck, was incredible. My husband's beef dish was amazing as well. For dessert we tried the creme brûlée and the molten chocolate cake. Both were fabulous. My only tiny complaint was that the ice cream served with the chocolate cake was not our favorite.

Overall, my sincerest compliments to the chef. We ate every last bite. It is apparent that a lot of thought and care is put into each dish, and such a small place and small menu breeds an environment for consistent perfection.

Incredible!!