“Simply amazing”

Neighbourhood: Commercial Drive
Cross street: Graveley
Transit: Bus #20 and Broadway Skytrain within walking distance
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I read about Divino Wine bar in a food blog and have always wanted to try it.  My friend and I each had the 4 course tasting menu and the food was absolutely amazing.  The tasting menu was 4 courses prepared for you by the chef and its a surprise!  I've always loved the concept so you don't have to think about ordering and just trust the chef. After a long work day my friend and I didn't want to make any decisions so we asked the manager Ian to suggest a wine pairing for each of our 4 courses.  The wines were also amazing and they use beautiful Riedel wine glasses ;)

Our first course was a lovely tuna crudo paired with grapefruit and radish.  Absolutely refreshing and light and a great way to start your palette.

Second dish was a black trumpet mushroom and kale risotto.  It was absolutely divine!!  I love kale and the heartiness of the vegetable was a good pairing with the earthy trumpet mushrooms.  Risotto was cooked to perfection as well.

Third course was duck breast with celeriac purée and a sauce made with black squid ink and black truffle.  The sauce was to die for!  The duck breast was cooked to medium well which was a little over done to our liking.  I guess if you were to order it a-la-carte you would have the option to specify how you want it done.  Nonetheless the dish was still very very tasty.

Fourth course was a silky chocolate mousse with hazelnut ice cream.  Again, perfect dessert to end a wondering tasting menu.

Divino wine bar is a hidden gem and I would definitely recommend anyone to go there.  It has amazing food and wine and you don't have to worry about going all the way downtown for a nice meal.  It's one of the best restaurants I've been to in a very long time.

3  Thank Golfygurl

Reviewed 20 February 2012

It really is too bad that this restaurant is not as full as it should be. The people on Commercial Drive have no idea what a gem they have. The $65, five dish tasting menu was superb. We had Tuna and Veal carpaccio, sable fish, and pork belly. The service is great, just like the wine and drinks. If we don't support a place like this, we are the only ones that will lose out.

Reviewed 25 August 2011

Tried this place on a groupon. Had the chef's 3 course surprise (his choice). The meal was wonderful (tuna appetizer, scallop and pork belly main and 3 sample taster for dessert. As well as a white wine, red wine, port accompanyment with each course respectively. Went with the flow and it was very good. Will certainly go back.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

My husbanc and I dined here recently. Weekday early evening, we were the only diners when we arrived at opening. We were sat and served by the manager, a very personable French import who made it clear he was happy with his new home. Menu is one sheet, but plenty of variety. I had the carpacio, it was outstanding. My hubby a goat cheese and blk olive spread. We had a BC merlot that did not disappoint and was only $60. My olive oil poached halibut on a ratatouille inspired orzo was superb. I NEVER say this at ANY restaurant, but i could have easily ordered five of the six entres offered. My hubby had a short rib rigatoni that was nothing but succulent. Service was top notch. We used a Groupon and were not treated any different than any other customer. The washroom was clean and well appointed. Only negative I could mention was the choice of music. A bit techno and in our opinion, a mismatch to the restaurant. Plenty of street parking and easy to find. Will return for certain.

Reviewed 14 June 2011

Six months ago we had one of the best dinner experiences we have ever had in Vancouver at Divino, a hidden gem, which was rightly getting rave reviews due to the work of an exceptional young chef. Before booking again we heard that the chef had moved elsewhere. Hoping he had left his imprint on the existing staff we reserved anyway, hoping to relive the experience. Again, we left ourselves in the kitchen's hands by opting for the five course tasting menu with wine parings. This is always an opportunity for a new chef to show his stuff. Unfortunately, the offerings (with the exception of an incredible bison risotto and lovely frozen dessert,) were bland and uninteresting. It didn't even come close to our previous experience. It's worth noting also that when we asked the sommelier to recommend an after-dinner drink, he brought us four madeira's. Very nice, but I think he should have mentioned that he would charge us $20 a glass.It was sort of the nail in the coffin. I should note, this was a Sunday night celebration. There was no-one else dining, perhaps the chef was not fully on his game.