New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Fairmont Waterfront
Ranked #11 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chipping Ongar, United Kingdom
“Good location ,fine if a bit jaded.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

It may be a bit tired but our superior double was clean ,comfortable ,roomy and very reasonably priced that included gold level facilities Staff are just great and so helpful . Lovely marble hall areas ,superb conceirge .Spa ,pool and gym very good . Had two nights here before heading up to whistler and look forward to returning for one night before flying to Toronto .

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Worldtraveller1953
WaterfrontVancouver, General Manager at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at The Fairmont Waterfront. Guest feedback is very important to us as we continuously review our practices to ensure we offer our guests quality services.
I was happy to read that you found our rooms comfortable and our colleagues helpful. You may be interested to know that we are about to embark on exciting and extensive renovations to our guestrooms in 2012 as we strive to consistently provide a fresh product for our guests.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us, we hope you enjoy Whistler and we look forward to welcoming you back shortly. If I can be of assistance upon your return, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 604-691-1892 or ian.pullan@fairmont.com. Sincerely, Ian Pullan, General Manager, The Fairmont Waterfront

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (832)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
MARKHAM
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

This hotel used to care for its guests over the top; now they nickel-and-dime even long-time President's Club members for every little thing. Shame. And bad business.

A change in plans required us to add an extra night at the Fairmont Waterfront to our existing 3 night reservation. The extra night was one category lower than the 3 day reservation (total hotel spend $1000+). We arrived at 3AM (after a 6 hour flight) and asked, given the lateness of the hour, if we could check in to the same room for the entire stay to avoid a move the following morning. "Yes" if we were willing to fork over another $40 (in other words, the room was available). "No" if we did not want to pay the extra. Without the $40 upsell, we would have to change rooms in other words, the room was not available without extra cash). Period.

The receptionist kept repeating a scripted explanation that was not credible to us and I don't think very convincing to her. It was a sad and embarrassing front desk exchange for what used to be a great hotel property. We have previously stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront more than a dozen times, but this is likely to be our last visit.

On another note: while most hotels are making internet access free, particulalry for their premium guests, the Fairmont has a new policy for its President's Club. Low level internet is free, but faster service costs an additional $10. Talk about crude upsizing!

Room Tip: If you don't have it in writing, don't even bother asking.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review. I was very concerned to read that we did not provide the arrival experience that you expected and that we strive to provide; please accept my apology for the inconvenience. It is my understanding that you have spoken to Robert, our Director of Operations, and that the matter has been resolved. I do hope you enjoy the rest of the conference and your stay with us and if I can ever be of personal assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 604-691-1892 or ian.pullan@fairmont.com. Sincerely, Ian Pullan, General Manager, The Fairmont Waterfront
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

I was at the Fairmont hosting an event. We rented one of their larger suites to host the event. The staff were fantastic about making sure the room was available, that the ice was plentiful and to help us load things from the car to the room. Our guests very much enjoyed the view and the room.
A massive suite at the Fairmont is not exactly a common stop for most people but I am any guest, regardless of their room, would enjoy their time here. A great high end hotel for Vancouver.

Room Tip: The nicest suite in the hotel is a good bet!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WaterfrontVancouver, General Manager at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on TripAdvisor. It is truly rewarding to read your comments and hear that you had a great time with us here. Thank you for selecting the Fairmont Waterfront, and we look forward to hosting you again in the near future. Sincerely, Ian Pullan, General Manager, The Fairmont Waterfront
west midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

We have stayed in this hotel four times over the past few years. We have never had any problems, even when staying with an elderly and infirm parent, when my mother had a room that was well equipped for wheelchair access.
Our son and his family live in Vancouver, When we arrive after an overnight flight it is evening in Vancouver even though our body-clocks tell us that it is the small hours of the morning. The restaurant staff are more than willing to find a table for us to eat with our family, including two very exited (but well behaved) grandchildren. The food and service in the restaurant are excellent.

The rooms are excellent, modern and quite spacious, unlike many of the Fairmonts where, because of the age of the hotels, the rooms can be small by modern standards.

There is good transfer to the hotel on the Canada Line from the airport. We get on the Sky-train at the airport and get off at Waterfont. We have to walk just a few hundred yards to the hotel. Thank goodness for rolling luggage.

The hotel is, as the name suggests, right by the waterfront, and Canada Place, and not too far to stroll to Gastown.

We could find less expensive places to stay in Vancouver: We could possibly find greater luxury (or would that be mere pretension?)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review and to share your experience with us. We make every effort to read each comment posted and it is always rewarding to receive such positive feedback. I am happy to hear that we were able to accommodate all of your needs and that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are very proud of our team and the level of service they strive to provide, so it gives me great pleasure to be able to share your fantastic feedback with them. You may be interested to know for your next visit that we are launching new healthy lifestyle menus for children that I am confident your grandchildren will enjoy.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us once again here at The Fairmont Waterfront and we hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Vancouver. If I can ever be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 604-691-1892 or ian.pullan@fairmont.com. Sincerely, Ian Pullan, General Manager, The Fairmont Waterfront
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

This was the second time that I've ever stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront and I thought it was my best hotel stay to date. When I booked the hotel, I was worried that perhaps the furnishings and service were going to be horrible, as the Fairmont Pacific Rim seems to be the one that is getting all the accolades these days.

I arrived on an early morning flight and I got to the hotel at 10am via the Skytrain - it was very convenient. Of course, I knew my room wouldn't be ready, but the front desk checked for me, just in case... and told me that they would give me a call on my cell phone when the room is ready to go. All of the staff were very friendly and I felt each one was trying to go above and beyond. The room that I was in, looked like it had been renovated recently and had newer furnishings. It was good to see that money was still being spent to maintain the quality of the hotel.

Overall, the combination of a great location, amazing service, and above average quality of the rooms made this one of my best hotel stays to date.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank wilburintoronto
WaterfrontVancouver, General Manager at Fairmont Waterfront, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I was thrilled to read your glowing review and will take great pleasure in sharing your kind words with regards to our high level of service with our team. You may be interested to know that we will be undergoing further exciting renovations to our guestrooms in 2012 as we strive to consistently provide a fresh and impeccable product. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. If I can ever be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 604-691-1892 or ian.pullan@fairmont.com. Sincerely, Ian Pullan, General Manager at The Fairmont Waterfront