“Tranquil getaway”

Beach House Salt Spring
Reviewed 4 February 2017

We throughly enjoyed our stay at this lovely B and B. The host was informative and great to talk with. The view was spectacular, as we woke up every morning watching the ferry glide into the harbor. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Three choices. We had the small reservation I'm which worked great. It was cozy. Larger room ne...
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
beachhousesaltspring, Owner at Beach House Salt Spring, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2017

Thank you very much. It was a pleasure to have you as guests and we look forward to your return. Kind regards, Ellie

Reviewed 4 October 2016

We stayed in the Sand Dollar room for 2 nights at the start of our second visit to Vancouver Island from the UK. Ellie welcomed us on arrival after many hours of travelling from the UK and soon had us settled in our room with a cup of coffee (something the Canadians do so well) plus information and timing advice about places to eat on our first evening. First stop the hot tub to ease away the journey, enjoy the brilliant view over the inlet and watch the ferry arrivals and departures (a chill time we repeated on our second evening as well). The bed was comfy and we enjoyed two excellent nights sleep while staying here. Breakfast in the kitchen/diner was friendly, interesting and plentiful to set us up for our day exploring the Island. Ellie has excellent breakfast ideas and is an excellent cook. This is a beautiful laid back Island and Ellie is an excellent host with a wealth of knowledge of both Salt Spring and Vancouver Island. Thank you Ellie for a lovely stay in your beautiful house in a setting I would love to take home.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
beachhousesaltspring, Owner at Beach House Salt Spring, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2016

Thank you so much for your kind words. It was a pleasure to have you as guests and we do hope you get to visit our beautiful island again soon.

Reviewed 29 September 2016

My wife and I stayed at the Beach House for four days and it was wonderful. Ellie and Bill, the proprietors, are super friendly. They know the island well after living there for many years. Their recommendations for sightseeing, eating out and ferry schedules were very helpful: We took a ferry onto the island from one landing and left from another landing .... to avoid an early morning rush upon departure. Of all the scenery available on the island, the view from the Beach House was the best. We sat on our patio overlooking Fulford Harbor and watched the ferry, birds, wildlife and astounding sunrises. Ellie's breakfasts are delicious as well. My wife and I loved the setting, the view, the tranquility and the privacy. We will visit Salt Spring Island and the Beach House again soon.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple

Thanks for choosing The Beach House for your relaxing getaway. We appreciate your kind words and are pleased we lived up to your expectations. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit. Hope the winter goes well for you.

Reviewed 29 September 2016 via mobile

We just fell in love with Salt Spring Island with all of local artisans and the friendly and helpful people we encountered. Our experience was enhanced due to where we stayed. We booked two nights at Beach House Bed and Breakfast and we were glad we did.
We chose this place to stay due to its being close to the ferry from Victoria and the fact that it had water views. Little did we know that not only did it have water views but you could walk down a short flight of stairs to the beach. We were able to watch Sea Gulls, sea otters, cormorants and herons.
The accommodations were nice and we had a room with a fireplace that provided a warm atmosphere as well as heat.
Most of all we enjoyed the hospitality of Bill and Ellie. Bill just loved to talk about the house but also sports. Elle takes pride in the accommodations and treats you as family. She also coauthored a book on the history of Salt Spring Island. Staying here was definitely one of the highlights of our 5 day Vancouver Island trip. The rest of our lodging paled when compared to the Beach House. Thank you Bill and Elle for sharing your island with us.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple

It was a pleasure to meet you both and fun to share your accommodation experiences. We are pleased you enjoyed your time with us and would love to have you return. It was great that you were able to enjoy so many high lights of the island. Next time you might want to plan to stay longer.

Reviewed 21 August 2016 via mobile

My partner and I booked a getaway vacation to Salt Spring. We were excited to spend a weekend at this beautiful home in hopes to enjoy fresh, local foods from venders and the market. We found out that there is actually no kitchen. The pictures on booking.com with the kitchen is the dining area and one room upstairs is the only one with a kitchen. There was also a fire ban on that weekend and we were not permitted to use the barbecue on the main deck by the hot tub for one meal during our stay. I was given a tour upon arrival and in my room there was a sliding closet door that led to an extra bed. We were shown this and other parts of the property but were never advised we were not allowed to use the room. The room cannot be accessed by anyone else as it is connected to our bedroom. We ended up using it one night (no extra guests) just decided to use the bed. After checking out and paying $514 for two nights after tax, I signed the form and left. 3 days later I was doing some online banking and noticed the Beach House charged me $52.50 EXTRA for using the bed. I was not informed previously that I would be charged if I used it, it was not on my booking, nor was I even warned that they were doing this. When I contacted Ellie she simply argued with me and refused to remove the charge. She did not try to speak with me in a nice manner to resolve the issue with the kitchen or the charge that shouldn't have been there in the first place. I am EXTREMELY disappointed and do not recommend anyone stay at the beach house as it is very over priced for what you receive and the customer service was the worst I have ever experienced. I have stayed at much better B&B's who made me feel "at home".

This one was outdated, the hot tub was filled with bugs and slime, chlorine pucks were always floating in it and out jetted tub had to be washed out before using it. There were cob webs and dust in the corners of the room and on the furniture.

The island was beautiful, but I would never return to this B&B.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Suzanne R
beachhousesaltspring, Owner at Beach House Salt Spring, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2016

This experience was not a pleasant one. In 20 years we have never had a guest expect to have a kitchen in The Starfish Room. Our website nor any other listing for the Beach House Salt Spring, does not have The Starfish Room listed with a kitchen or any cooking facilities. In the description of the room, it clearly states that there is the use of a shared beverage bar only.
When I became aware that this guest expected kitchen facilities, I sent her the following email, offering her free cancellation of the room.

“This room is not advertised to have a kitchen but somehow you had that idea. I have gone through the listing site again and do not see where it says that this room has a kitchen. I have left you a phone message saying that if you wish to cancel I will waive the 30 day cancellation notice and let Booking.com know that. You are welcome to come to The Beach House but I do not want you to be disappointed or feel you have to come just because of the 30 day cancellation. We want you to be happy and feel good about your visit to our beautiful island. However, please let me know immediately if you do want to cancel so I can rebook the room. I have already responded to a couple of calls re that weekend.
Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.
Kind regards,
Ellie
2016-08-03 23:43:08

It was well understood before their arrival that there were no cooking facilities available to them, but the guest declined this cancellation offer and then arrived, still intending to be able to cook with use of the BBQ which is for The Sunrise Suite.
Prior to arrival, they were sent a written confirmation, stating that they had booked The Starfish Room and made no mention of wanting use of the additional room (the Scallop Room), nor did they request it upon arrival. They decided to use the room without any prior arrangement or consent from us. In 20 years, no other guest has ever used the adjoining room without prior arrangement.
We did assess a charge for the use of the room, only charging for one night, rather than for the 2 nights they were here. Use of additional rooms that have not been booked, are subject to an additional charge. The charge for the Scallop Room is clearly stated on our Rate Sheet.
There was no arguing. There was no apology from the guest for her conduct and no reason to withdraw the charges. As mentioned, I had offered free cancelation prior to their arrival.
Prior to the charges being levied there was no mention of dissatisfaction with the hot tub nor the cleanliness of the room.
We did our best to be to accommodate this couple with offering a stay in our home to enjoy the beauty and tranquility of our surroundings. It was their choice to be so disrespectful.
We hope they read and research more carefully and find more appropriate places for their needs in the future.