“Amazing Tacos”
Review of El Santo

El Santo
Reserve with OpenTable
El Santo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Description: Contemporary Mexican
Description: Contemporary Mexican
Reviewed 31 January 2017

It was a little on the pricey side for smaller portions, that said, four of us ordered four different types of tacos and were pretty full by the time we tried one of each. Sangria and Guac were delicious. Server was extremely friendly, prompt and helped us decide on our orders. Beef Cheek tacos were the table favorites

Alejandro D, Owner at El Santo, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2017

Thank you for visiting el Santo and leaving us some positive feedback. Our team always enjoys and appreciates hearing about guests experiences.
Cheers,

Reviewed 30 January 2017

Loud atmosphere but that's ok. Service was friendly and attentive - give them an A for that. Had ceviche appy - very small portion and cheap with the chips. Also had
fish tacos - tasty but the fish was about the size of half my thumb - 3 for $13.50 -overpriced, and what is with all the cabbage on the tacos? I've been to Mexico 30 times and have never seen a taco loaded with cabbage- geez. Her,e you get LOTS of cabbage and not much fish....pleeease. Main course was chili relleno - where was the chili and where was the cheese? All I got was a big lump of dried baked rice - very disappointing. My partner had the chicken which was delicious but again, small portion. My friend had the duck (make your own taco style - they list it in the "share" plate but there wasn't enough there to share - again very small portion but tasty. All in all, the food was tasty but the portions were very small - (good for keeping their food costs down I guess)- for that reason I would be hesitant to go back. If the portions were bigger, I would definitely go back.

Alejandro D, Owner at El Santo, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2017

Hi there,
Thank you for giving our restaurant a try, and I am sorry that upon visiting, you left unsatisfied. At el Santo, we strive to use ingredients that are locally grown or sourced. This is important to us because it not only supports local businesses, but it is healthier and tastier for our guests.
We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience, and we encourage you to come back and try us again.

Reviewed 29 January 2017

Very busy and very loud - but that's obvious as soon as you walk in - so don't complain about that. Excellent, attentive service. The food - hmm - the pork belly apply was dI escribed as having a tamarind glaze. We had a tamarind tree in our back yard and I am very familiar with how tart this fruit is. But -the appie was described as having a glaze - not gobs of tamarind that totally over-powered the pork belly. For the main I ordered the rockfish and the rest ordered the rib eye steak. I also ordered a morrow bone - well - it was a bone that once upon a time had marrow but now had some sort of sweet yam puree. (This is my only complaint with the service - the marrow bone comes as a "garnish" with the steak, but because I asked for a marrow bone with my rockfish - I wish she had told me that there is no marrow or that the marrow is mixed in with this yam where you can no longer taste it. Anyways, the steak was the big disappointment. And before you judge - that perhaps steak is not the best choice in a Latin restaurant - the fact is that the best steak I have ever eaten has been in South America. Nothing fancy - just a really great char flavour and cooked to perfection. The rib eye was a disappointment - pretty bad.... and the roasted potato side was not seasoned - even with salt! However, having not brought any of these issues to the attention of the staff/manager - it is not fair to complain. And this is not intended as a complaint. - it was very busy and I know from experience that consistency is not that easy. I will give this place another shot - when it is not that busy - this time for the food - not the party atmosphere!!!

Alejandro D, Owner at El Santo, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2017

Hi Anoma,

We appreciate all your compliments on the atmosphere and service!

However We are concerned that your visit did not meet your expectations and I would invite you to contact me personally at 604 727 8176 or email me at alejandro@elsanto.ca, to discuss your visit further.

Your comments are much welcomed, and we appreciate the time you have taken to share your feedback and we hope you can give us another chance.

Reviewed 19 January 2017

Great restaurant with a good vibe and atmosphere. Menu had a very good selection (with options for vegan, veg...just ask!), service was fantastic (servers knew exactly what was in each dish!), food was fresh, hot and fantastic (appies, main, drinks, dessert - mmm churros with dulce de leche!). I had the Pescado; very good. Music was at just the right volume to enjoy without it interfering with conversations. Decor very cool. Whether it's for family, friends, couples or business, I'd say el santo is the perfect place for a meal and/or drinks. Looking forward to trying more of the menu - and that's not something I can say very often.

Hola,

Thank you for your visit and review.

We appreciate your compliments on the food and atmosphere and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 17 January 2017

I have been to El Santo several times now and each time has been a wonderful experience. I've tried all the vegetarian options on the menu, all were delicious. I highly recommend the enchiladas flor de jamaica. I also recommend the churros for dessert, they are very yummy.

Hola,

Thank you for recognizing our cuisine.

We appreciate your review and we hope your next visit can be as great as your previous visits.

We look forward to your return.