“What happened to the old pictures?”
Review of Royal Hotel Cafe

Royal Hotel Cafe
Ranked #8 of 287 Restaurants in Chilliwack
Price range: US$7 - US$16
Description: Serving up good old fashioned home cooking with local farm to table ingredients. The Royal Hotel Café is known as one of the city’s best values for hearty, healthy meals. Join us for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner and take a trip back to the roots of Chilliwack.
Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

The biscuits... oh the biscuits. Bennies on biscuits. So good. Southern fried chicken sandwich is also amazing. The deep fried pickle on top is a perfect touch. Everything is local and made in house which I love.
I am disappointed that the old pictures of Chilliwack and the hotel itself are gone from both the cafe and the lobby. The history added to the charm and overall feel.

Date of visit: May 2018
Claudette K, Owner at Royal Hotel Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2018

Thanks for your review. So glad you enjoy our food :)

The pictures will be back next month. This is just temporary.

Reviewed 21 May 2018

My business partner and I enjoyed our first meal so much that we returned for a second dinner during a recent visit to Chilliwack. We ate at the Wellington Local House (same chef and staff as the Royal Hotel Cafe). The chef that day, who just relocated from the United States, greeted us and enthusiastically walked us through the menu. Because he highly recommended the Southern fried chicken sandwich, I ordered it - and wasn't disappointed. A big juicy, crispy piece of chicken with cole slaw and crispy onions served on a delicious pretzel bun. My dining companion had the 40.50 burger (half ground beef, half bacon) and was equally blown away. The next night, my companion had the fried chicken sandwich and I had the basic burger with cheddar - both winners again. My house salad was served with a homemade raspberry vinaigrette - excellent. There's a wide array of local craft beers (try the Knotty Blonde) and if you can make it through the substantial portions of the main course, there's a solid selection of homemade desserts.Our only complaint was a set of cutlery needing to be washed. Our server apologized profusely and replaced it right away.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 28 April 2018

Loving the new food at the Royal Hotel Cafe! Favorites include the Beef Dip, Caesar salad and eggs Benny. Great old hotel with historical pictures and feel. Service can be slow so plan for a leisurely visit.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 7 April 2018

NOTE: My original review of this restaurant was back in January for a December visit, (it got recorded under the Royal Cafe as I could not find a TA listing for the Wellington Social House, so I have again reviewed it under the Hotel). Regardless, that first visit was not the best experience for many reasons, as it has been explained to me.

Our Dinner Group was invited back by Claudette, the Owner/ Operator for another opportunity to keep us as customers.

Well, in short, the experience was completely the opposite of the first. Service at this establishment has improved so much and it was a busy Friday night. The food was very, very good. Our group of six ordered: the Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich (2), Carne Asada Tacos, Beef Deep, Clubhouse Pizza as well as a second pizza. Oh and I cannot forget the special oysters, which were prepared for the table. For those that tried them...not me...they apparently were really good.

We were all very pleased with the service, food quality and quantity as well. The prices were very typical of this type of restaurant/pub style. They also had live music which was not too loud, in fact it was very enjoyable.

The time between our first visit in December (which was very near their opening date) and our visit April 6th, it was like going to a completely different restaurant. A great experience!

I would like to thank Nicole our server, who was very attentive thru the evening, though run off her feet due to the crowd. As well as the executive chef Darcy Letourneau and of course, Claudette Krahn, owner/operator.

Thanks Claudette, for encouraging the return visit and a wonderful evening at The Wellington Social House. Continued success and hope to see you in the future.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank CookyM-G
Reviewed 2 April 2018

This was a great lunch place you get terrific food and get to see some of Chilliwacks History at the same time . Will be back for sure.

Date of visit: March 2018