“Hidden Gem”

Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 28 March 2015

You won't find anything quite like the Olive anywhere else in Red Deer. This place doesn't claim to be something it's not.
Small room, dimly lit, great art, live entertainment on occasion...
Great place to go have a quiet glass or a cocktail. Many of the customers you meet are regulars. BBQ out back that the tender will grill for you on... patio faces the alley. Alley is where the entrance is but not to worry, it's well lit and not awkward. This is one of my favs.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

I was convinced to go to this lounge last night, I was told by a few people it was a gay bar but still fun. I am not gay nor am I offended by people who are so we went. It is super tiny, it holds a maximum of 44 people inside. We just missed the live entertainment, the place smelled like an armpit but the service and drinks were awesome. The bathrooms are down some very steep stairs in the basement but super clean. We didn't order any food so I don't know about that. I would go back and drink their dirty Martini's, yummy.

5  Thank Gail D
Reviewed 2 February 2013

Liked the small outside area and enjoyed a nice glass of red wine. Good place to visit with a couple of friends

1  Thank Anneke L
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I have been to the Velvet Olive a number of times. It is definitely the charm that keeps me coming back. You won't find any tv's with sports games on which is exactly what I'm looking for. It may be a little harder to find, as it's in the back alley north of Ross Street. Don't give up, look for the patio lights!

They have live music most nights and it has always been awesome! They also use the walls as an art gallery, and it changes monthly. The staff is always very helpful, friendly, and willing to concoct anything you ask for. The ceasars are the best in town. Big Rock beers on tap. The crowd that usually hangs out here is friendly, don't be afraid to ask to join a strangers table.

Some of the past reviews have knocked the food here - I quite like building my own burger. It was a huge juicy patty, and I could add whatever toppings I wanted at no extra charge. The steaks are also good. The spinach dip is homemade, and they serve Humble Hummus which is locally made and to DIE for! Yes, if it's busy there might be a wait - there is just one BBQ, and sometimes just one staff member that has to be the greeter/bartender/waiter/DJ/Chef all at the same time. But be patient, it will be worth the wait. The grilled food is best in summer when you can enjoy it on the patio outside.

Would recommend this bar for any kind of event: birthday, anniversary, first-date, dinner, a quick drink after work, or a late party night on a Saturday. The most culture you'll find in Red Deer.

2  Thank Joe_Blow_RD
Reviewed 14 January 2013

We walked from the casino one night with friends visiting from up North. They were wondering if we were putting them on as we led them down the dark alley and they the patio lights appeared in the distance and the sound of live music wafted through the air. We caught an exceptional singer/guitar player and a friendly crowd anxious to make room for us to sit and enjoy as well. Penny and Co treat you like a long lost friend and that feels so GOOD these day! BBQ and fixing your burgers and dishing up some salad is FUN! If you don't have fun hear you may need to let go and remember what that is...cause it's here! Had my birthday here once and it was a blast :)