“relaxing”

Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 2 February 2013

Liked the small outside area and enjoyed a nice glass of red wine. Good place to visit with a couple of friends

1  Thank Anneke L

Reviewed 21 January 2013

I have been to the Velvet Olive a number of times. It is definitely the charm that keeps me coming back. You won't find any tv's with sports games on which is exactly what I'm looking for. It may be a little harder to find, as it's in the back alley north of Ross Street. Don't give up, look for the patio lights!

They have live music most nights and it has always been awesome! They also use the walls as an art gallery, and it changes monthly. The staff is always very helpful, friendly, and willing to concoct anything you ask for. The ceasars are the best in town. Big Rock beers on tap. The crowd that usually hangs out here is friendly, don't be afraid to ask to join a strangers table.

Some of the past reviews have knocked the food here - I quite like building my own burger. It was a huge juicy patty, and I could add whatever toppings I wanted at no extra charge. The steaks are also good. The spinach dip is homemade, and they serve Humble Hummus which is locally made and to DIE for! Yes, if it's busy there might be a wait - there is just one BBQ, and sometimes just one staff member that has to be the greeter/bartender/waiter/DJ/Chef all at the same time. But be patient, it will be worth the wait. The grilled food is best in summer when you can enjoy it on the patio outside.

Would recommend this bar for any kind of event: birthday, anniversary, first-date, dinner, a quick drink after work, or a late party night on a Saturday. The most culture you'll find in Red Deer.

2  Thank Joe_Blow_RD
Reviewed 14 January 2013

We walked from the casino one night with friends visiting from up North. They were wondering if we were putting them on as we led them down the dark alley and they the patio lights appeared in the distance and the sound of live music wafted through the air. We caught an exceptional singer/guitar player and a friendly crowd anxious to make room for us to sit and enjoy as well. Penny and Co treat you like a long lost friend and that feels so GOOD these day! BBQ and fixing your burgers and dishing up some salad is FUN! If you don't have fun hear you may need to let go and remember what that is...cause it's here! Had my birthday here once and it was a blast :)

Reviewed 21 November 2012

Cozy little pub/lounge with a nice atmosphere and live music (on the eve I went). Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed 12 September 2012

strangest situation ever. I ordered a chicken burger and while waiting on the patio with friends, after a long wait was approached by the waiter who very blunty told me that he was the bartender NOT the waiter and that I had to come back to make my own burger and that he only did the bbqing. The buns were all squashed in a dirty bag, the condiments were gross, all left out - not covered , had to pay before i ate and NONE of this was explained before I ordered, but rather talked to me in a condescending way as if I shoudlve known that I was going to be making my own burger AT a RESTAURANT- weird! weird! weird!! plates were dirty and broken, the drinks were bad.... all around a disaster experience!! Never going back!!

4  Thank Globetrotting99