“Good Hostel, very nice staff”
Review of HI-Jasper

HI-Jasper
Ranked #13 of 21 Speciality Lodging in Jasper
Reviewed 12 September 2017

Good stay, despite being in a 28 bed dorm. Kitchen is good, and recycling impressive. Plenty of space and equipment. Ladies washrooms probably need refurbishment soon, showers very awkward. Lights out from 10 pm to 8 am policy perhaps a little excessive, but different visitors have different requests. Great location, though transport needed. Really impressed with the friendly and helpful staff.

Room Tip: Be ready for a very large dorm if you don't have a private room. Plugs only available on one si...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Michel T, Manager at HI-Jasper, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2017

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at HI Jasper. We are glad to hear that you had a good stay, and that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful. We do our best to keep our older facilities working as well as possible. We do expect a brand new building in the coming years, closer to town and with smaller dormitory rooms. Our lights out times are intended to allow guests to sleep through the night so they can be ready for daytime mountain adventures in the park. We do suggest having a flashlight or headlamp to navigate the dormitories during our lights out times, and we also have a few available to borrow from our Front Desk if required. We hope you had a great visit to Jasper National Park!

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

There's a bit of a monopoly in Jasper which is why this hostel gets away with charging $40 for a tiny, humid corner in a room of 24 people.
Perhaps if the cost was $20 I wouldn't complain, but this was a basic hostel where you have to even pay for tea and coffee!!!
Front desk was nice but constantly busy.
People weren't friendly, probably cuz everyone was annoyed and cranky from the lack of sleep. It's better to camp than stay here.
I didn't get a wink of sleep due to the humidity (no AC, I was on the top bunk so fan isn't coming my way) and was glad to get outta there asap. Also, only 3 showers when the dorm alone is 24 people??? Appalling this place still exists.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Michel T, Manager at HI-Jasper, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2017

Thank you for providing feedback regarding your stay at HI Jasper. We are sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay. Our hostel Front Desk is very busy, particularly during the summer season. HI does have plans in place to build a new HI hostel with smaller rooms, and more washroom/shower facilities throughout in the coming years. We hope that you enjoyed exploring Jasper National Park.

Reviewed 5 August 2017

This hostel was around long before my first visit 28 years ago and it hasn't changed much. There are 3 types of rooms a large female only dorm; a large co-ed dorm and private rooms for 2 to 3 people. The walls are thin and it is always a challenge to get a decent sleep even in a private room.
It is located far from town, there are options to getting into town without a car, but if you come without one be prepared to be somewhat limited.
However, there are lots of good features at this hostel. It has showers, provides towels, the staff are always friendly and very helpful. You can access spare blankets and pillows easily. There are secure drawers for each bed, bring a lock, except the private rooms. The private rooms are lockable and you can get two keys for the private rooms. There are food lockers in the kitchen, bring a lock, and two large refridgerators. Basics like cooking oil, salt and pepper, dish soap and cleaning supplies are available and free. There is limited space available for preparing a meal, but plenty of burners. No oven. The kitchen got crowded and we tended to trip over each other. The large common room is also the dining area the thin wall is shared with the female only dorm.
A vending machine provides some food options and locks. Storage while you go on a backpack trip is limited to a couple of cupboards, bring a lock, or a large room which is entered by permission of the staff, but not monitored.

Room Tip: private rooms good value and best chance of sleep for 2 to 3
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Michel T, General Manager at HI-Jasper, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2017

Thank you for sharing your review of HI Jasper. Your description of our property is quite accurate, and captures some of our strengths and limitations. The proximity of sleeping areas to our common areas is one of the main reasons for our quiet time of 11pm, so that noises in those common spaces are kept to a minimum during the night. We do have an oven beside the fridge in the kitchen, and a BBQ available for use outside. In addition to the vending machine, for the last year we also have been selling a small selection of grocery basics at the Front Desk (pasta noodles, pasta sauce, rice, beans, granola bars etc.) We are very glad to read that you've found the staff to be friendly and helpful during your stays.

Reviewed 13 July 2017

This is definitely the worst place I have ever stayed in and I have traveled a lot! Last year me, my boyfriend and friend stayed at the Hi Hostel in Maligne Lake and it was awesome! We had high expectations, especially because of the brand as well. I ALWAYS hear good things, it's a shame that we had such a terrible experience.

As we entered the first hallway, where you have to off your shoes! There were mosquitoes EVERYWHERE. I have an allergic reaction to them, was pretty annoyed that no effort was made to make sure the doors were kept shut as they were all open, even leading down to the dorm room. They were in the toilet, the bed room, the front desk, just everywhere, so make sure you bring your spray. I also think there should be warning about not being able to wear your outside shoes, because if like me you didn't think to bring anything else you have to walk around their wet bathroom with socks! Didn't dare to walk barefoot anywhere, as the toilet was wet with toilet roll everywhere.

My boyfriend rang the hostel as we heard it was one of the only places with beds at the time for our stay, he asked how many beds and it was two. However, he was never told we were going to be staying in a 60+ mixed dorm. It was awful beyond words, but I will try.

When we checked in I was happy, hungry and tired! So was glad to be checking in to my place of rest. I asked the lady where the best places were to see a bear, she looked at me funny and began explaining that it was difficult to see a bear. Which I know, as I have been in the country for quite a long time now and don't need things explained in pedantic and close to condescending manner. She then let me know that bears were sometimes seen outside their hostel, not as rare as I thought by the stare of her conversation. I then asked about the Northern Lights and the location of the hostel for a good chance of seeing them, again like the bear conversation she proceeded to tell me how hard it was to see them, which I know as I have been monitoring them for almost a year now. I don't need a lecture. It was clear she was predicting me to be a clueless tourist that had just entered the country. Don't judge a book by it's front cover, please.

So we got the numbers 44 & 43, thinking it was in relation to room number or something and it wasn't. I don't know how many beds there were, but I stopped counting once I saw the number 55. I imagine 60 or 60+. We went to our bed, there was someone already sleeping in it. We then had to go back and tell someone, who kinda looked at the girl asleep on our bed, then she gave us new ones. This seems like the kinda place that you could walk in, fall asleep on a bed and they probably wouldn't even care or do anything.

For $60 a night, I really did expect a lot more. For that price you could get a dorm of 8 or something not 60+. They must've made so much money that night and I barely got a wink of sleep. Firstly, the place is boiling and humid because of so many bodies being in the same room. Someone turned off the fan, which was terrible because not only did it get hotter, but secondly, the choir of snoring was even more apparent!

I tried to get to sleep for 3hrs+ and eventually had to wake my boyfriend up to see if he would nap in the car with me, as the experience was so awful. When you've been travelling for most of the day and are dead tired, all you want to do is sleep and the worst thing is being unable to. I also found out from someone who was staying there who had been there longer than a week that it's always like that and sometimes he has to nap in his car because of how little sleep he manages to get.

That night as we were leaving our car I could hear drums out in the distance which was incredibly creepy and wasn't mentioned by anyone at the front desk upon check-in. When me and my boyfriend also went to the car at 4am they were still playing, which was double creepy.

The parking area is in a dangerous place, as it's not close to the hostel at all, you have to cross a road which is incredibly busy in the day time, with blind corners at either end. You have to listen to ensure your safety and even then, that's not safe!

I know the hostel's response is going to be that "We have earplugs at the front desk for snoring" my ears swell up when I put ear plugs in, so that is no go, I know they were there. I also doubt the ear plugs would be able to block the vibrations going through the bed from everyone walking past. People are going in and out of the room all night, quite evident that no one can sleep as you can hear whispers of complaint, people straight up checking out at 2am and some people even going on their laptops.

If you're staying in or around Jasper I would give this place a miss, if you're insistent I imagine the private rooms would be a lot better. There are other places which are much better and actually worth your money.

Room Tip: Go for private rooms, dorms are like 60+ people in one room
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Michel T, General Manager at HI-Jasper, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2017

We are very sorry to read that you had a poor stay at HI Jasper. Our hostel does have large dorms, the shared dorm with 44 beds (numbers 1 though 28 are in another room), with a current non-member rate of $47.96 including taxes, as is described on all of our website listings. Unfortunately that does translate to snoring at times, and people going in and out of the dorms at various times. Being located in the National Park, it is difficult in the summer to prevent mosquitoes getting in to and around the building. We are also sorry to hear that you felt the front desk agent was condescending. We hope that you were able to enjoy exploring Jasper National Park.

Reviewed 17 June 2017

My girlfriend and I checked into this hostel last year in July 2016. We enjoyed our
stay in Jasper National Park. That night I asked for a wake up call for 6 in the morning,
but one of the female desk clerks mentioned that they couldn't give a wake up calls that we were responsible for getting up on our own. I've never experienced this kind of denial ever from any of the hotel stay that I've experienced in an entire life time. When I challenged the lady on why that couldn't be possible, she replied it was just part off their policy and suggested that I bring an alarm clock the next time around, in which I forgot to cause on my trips I usually do as a back up. Ironically this time by odd coincidence I forgot to bring a clock on this trip and strangely enough this happened. So by fluke cause of a huge thunder storm over the mountain that evening that kept me awake for most of the night and happened to sleep till 9 in the morning up until some people had awaken me in a loud conversation in my dorm and that enabled me to wake my girlfriend in the adjacent woman's dorm. So we had our wonderful bed and breakfast and later checked out of the place. The staff where generally nice, despite the slight flaw in their no wake up call policy. John Zapantis

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Michel T, Manager at HI-Jasper, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2017

Thank you for providing feedback regarding your stay. As our front desk is not staffed from midnight until 8am, we do not have a staff member available or on duty to provide wake up calls. We do have an alarm clock available to borrow when necessary. My apologies if that was not offered to you at the Front Desk. We are glad to hear that otherwise you enjoyed your stay in Jasper National Park.