“Good... but only good”

Neighbourhood: Calgary Trail North
Cross street: 51 Avenue
Transit: Bus #6, #80
Reviewed 27 September 2017 via mobile

Went with family, haven't seen in a while. Started with the clam chowder, not your typical clam chowder, and frankly, wish they would have stuck to the basics, not very good. Supper went way up from there, my steak was very good, rest had prime rib, very good also. A little confusion from the server to the kitchen as far as a vegetable substitution, but nothing too drastic. Dessert was fantastic. Atmosphere was very nice, we can sat and visited for a couple hours after supper, no pressure to leave at all. All in all, positive experience.

Reviewed 20 September 2017

My wife and I come here often, it has the perfect blend of great food, atmosphere, & service that we've come to really enjoy. Although I will say, since our first visit in 2005', quality may have dipped slightly, but it's still one of our top 10.

Reviewed 30 August 2017

My favorite restaurant with great friends celebrating my birthday.
The atmosphere and the food can't be beat. Although the steaks are fantastic the prime rib is still my personal favorite , the service is also excellent .
My only complaint is the wine list is not that great and should be reviewed it lists some very poor wines and ignores some classics that pair well with beef.
this hasnt' stopped me from coming back !

Reviewed 29 August 2017

Wonderful, Alberta beef. Can;t say it enough. Wonderful, Alberta beef. Baked potatoe and veggies were also great.

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

To set the stage, this was a company/business dinner for nine people. The company was buying the meal and participants paid for their own beverages. From the get-go the management added 18% gratuity, this I understand however, in this case it turned out to be negative.
So when we arrived we were the only table in the section, the server was very attentive in providing beverage service and everything was going nicely. The server came back and took the food order efficiently, placed the order and then came back to offer more beverage service, so far so good. Within a decent amount of time server returned with our meals and every thing looked good, this is where it started to turn bad. The server disappeared never to be seen again until it was time to pick up the plates after dinner. Why is this bad? Let me explain, my "rare ordered tenderloin" arrived cooked medium, I wanted to send it back but no server in sight so I did the best I could with it even though it was not the best quality and chewy. The small scoop of cold mashed potato and three baby carrots were a disappointment as a side. The person I was sitting beside ordered the 14oz prime rib steak ($38) this gentleman has a healthy appetite and was looking forward to a big juicy rare steak. This also didn't happen, it came medium to medium rare "no server to complain to" he laboured through half of the steak and then gave up as it was too tough to chew. Similar feedback from around the table, no one was completely happy. After a lengthy wait the server returned to clear the plates, when my friend complained about the toughness of the prime rib steak the server said "I will take a picture of it and send it to our head office with comments" needless to say the item was not taken off the bill. The evening ended there as no one wanted to risk dessert. So my analysis is as follows, this restaurant think they are so good they can impose a service charge on patrons and you are left with a take it or leave it attitude, based on the number of tables on the night of the dinner I would say most people are leaving it. At one time this was a good restaurant however, now it's on the down slide. For the prices they charge along with the quality of food and service I recommend you give this one a wide berth and spend your money where the owner appreciates your business because Tome Goodchild obviously doesn't. The company paid for my meal, I didn't and I was still disappointed.

1  Thank Phil J

Been to Tom Goodchild's Moose Factory? Share your experiences!