“Watch Your Pizza Fly, Then Enjoy It”

Tony's Pizza Palace
Ranked #72 of 2,762 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 18 November 2017

OK, OK, the pepperoni is too soft and not peppery enough like my grandfather's. But garlic-and-basil outdoes his. Order an extra-large, basil and garlic or Italian hot peppers (courage, you probably won't catch fire) with 50% less cheese, and a crispier crust bottom - it's called a "Dr. Bob Special". Yes, nothing's homier than ordering an authentic Southern Italian pie with your name on it. Fresh asparagus pizza one night convinced me of the essential authenticity of the place.
From behind glass, let the kids laugh watching pizza dough being twirled - and stretched. People are allowed a hundred versions. Why, you can even order Hawaiian, which the old menu listed in smaller font because it seemed un-pizza to Tony Sr.
Non-pizza folk can now have newly-added pasta dishes, all cooked by chef Steve. Try veal, it's meltable in any mouth, as is anything Steve cooks to order.

Homey is good. My first pizza was made by Mom with no cheese (Dad hared it) but huge bunches of garden-grown herbs. I was 8. I'll never forget but at Tony's, with T.Jr. at the door and cousin Sal twirling as kiddies gather wide-eyed, I remember and Ithink, "How Agostino Serafino and his daughter Lucille Marie, Mom, would feel at home here." Tony's Palace is here because one night the family in NY decided to fly to Edmonton and start a new pizzeria - don't ask why. They might take away my special pizza. This is no tv pizza in your freezer. This is Southern Italy. Don't dare ask. ;)
Easily, the Palace makes the most traditional pie, other than in my house, that I've had in Canada. Start, as you must, with their original House Salad and vinaigrette. They have 2 new versions, but new is not for me. Oh, and try a huge Italian pretzel with olive oil, garlic, and anchovies - it is huge, salty, olivey, and made to order. Not tossed but unequalled in Alberta.
There are desserts, if you have room - I never do, not house-made but very high quality cakes and Italian ice creams.
Caveat: When the Oilers are in town early dinner is impossible to reserve, and when they win, there's a huge second invasion for post-win celebration. Late night at Tony's after a win in the play-off's? Heaven can wait.
Our "Little Italy" is 2 blocks away for great cooking supplies and helps make eating at Tony's thoroughly homey as you walk off the calories after lunch or before supper.

Reviewed 1 November 2017 via mobile

It took me a couple weeks to write this review. I have been thinking about our meal at Tony’s for the last 2 weeks. Do I expect too much from well reviewed restaurants in our city? Read this and decide.

This was our first experience at Tony’s. Picked up our NAIT student Son and headed for some good Italian. No reservation we were a bit later and waited for 10 minutes for a table. Two other times we tried to eat here but without reservations almost makes it impossible to get inside.

We walked through the crowded restaurant and were seated next to 2 elderly couples with 2 large pizzas on the table top. I thought good for them - that’s the spirit.

Busy place. Waiters raced around - “need anything” and left on the run. My wife ordered the Pizzaiola Veal, Son ordered the Sal’s Large and I had the Veal Parmangiana.

Food started to arrive 45 minutes after we ordered. The Sal’s arrived first. I stole a piece from my Son and was less than impressed. The crust was like cardboard; tasteless, dry and looked pale brown. Flat tomato sauce and lacking toppings.

The other dishes arrived. My Veal Parmangiana and pasta tasted alright. 3.5 out of 5 stars. And my partner’s Pizzaiola Veal was was condemned with mixed reviews. The side pasta with sauce was tasty; the Veal chewed like leather.

So in our group it was 1 + and 2 - . And the Seniors at the table next to us finished the 2 large pizzas and ordered some grappa. Well done old timers.

I doubt I will go back. This was the dirtiest restaurant I have been in for a long time. If you look up at the ceiling tiles you can see dust bunnies hanging down and webs on the light fixtures. The large Magnum on the shelf close to the kitchen looked funny and grey - years of dust.

We had to park down the street - happy to find no one had broken in to the car. I would have never thought about this dump other than reviews on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 25 October 2017 via mobile

Was staying at a hotel not too far away and ordered an Italian sausage and mushroom pizza to go. When I went to pick it up, the smell inside was delicious. Pizza was fantastic!

Reviewed 24 October 2017 via mobile

If you want real authentic Italian pizza, this is the place! The Mazzotta's bring their southern Italian ingredients and recipes to your table and you won't be disappointed. Pizza crust is thin and crispy throughout with that southern Italian tomato sauce that's so tasty. This will be a s close to the real taste of pizza in Edmonton. Place needs a little facelift, but other than that, food is great.

Reviewed 19 October 2017

Wow,what a pleasant atmosphere and quickly seated ,with a friendly,courteous hostess.
Our server approached quickky,appetizers arrived timely, with a delicious onion loaf, with yummy wings...timely arrival of oh so hot and delicious ribs...
wonderful meal...