“Perfect Czech cinner”

Ranked #27 of 2,640 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: European
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: Bistro Praha is a well established European Food and Drink restaurant located in the downtown of Edmonton for the past 40 years. We take pride in serving fresh food , cooked to perfection and a large variety of imported beers and wines to drink. We are open 7 days a week . Our restaurant is unique with antique tables and chairs, and the atmosphere is enhanced with classical music. The LRT is conveniently close and vehicle parkades are right next door at Scotia Place ,Commerce Place or Rice Howard Way. We look forward to seeing you.
Reviewed 16 July 2018

Went to Edmonton for a wedding. One of thelocals suggested this.
Warm feelings! Comfortable. Super food and service.

Reviewed 7 July 2018 via mobile

When I first moved to Edmonton, I have noticed this restaurant and to be honest, it didn’t appear to me that one day I will have one of the best lunches ever. Few days back, I woke up in the middle of the night and I went on TripAdvisor looking for some restaurants where I can go and have a meal and I came across Bistro Praha. My partner and I decided to give it a try after I saw the menu and started having cravings for some meals from good old Europe. Last time I have had expectations from the restaurant, I was disappointed, my friend visited this restaurant with her girlfriend, who happened to be from Germany and she wasn’t very happy. Kind of mixed reviews altogether but eventually we went there. Restaurant resembles old Central European breweries, with great touch of classical music playing all the time. We were told to sit wherever we find it convenient. Our server was Kamila from Poland - one of the most genuine server I have had encountered in a long time. She was professional and knowledgeable, but above an amazing and witty sense of humour, which was so lovely. I truly enjoyed those few minutes having conversation with her.

Now, food... There is old latin proverb “De gustibus non disputandum est”, meaning that there are no arguments about one’s taste. I’m saying this only because someone may like certain thing differently. We started with goulash, one of the most popular soups in Central Europe. Beef was so soft and goulash had just enough oil to have that recognizable taste. I’m very happy that this wasn’t Hungarian goulash as it would be too spicy for me. My partner comes from continental Croatia and I know he would mind it as he’s used to Hungarian food, but coming from Adriatic Croatia, I would be able to eat it. We continued with breaded fried cheese with pan-fried potatoes. Combination of melting cheese and tartar sauce (home made maybe?) was so good. My partner loved the potatoes. For the main meal we took the Wiener Schnitzel with potato salad. There are two options: 1. To take full meal (two pieces of meat with one salad) or 2. To take half portion each (one piece of meat with one potato salad). We decided to have one full meal. It took me by surprise how thin the meat was - I’m used to bit thicker Wiener Schnitzel. For the desert, even though we were already full, I had František crêpes, while my partner had strawberry crêpes. I don’t know where they got those strawberries, but they actually had taste of real strawberries. Mine crêpe were with peach jam.

Overall, this was one of the best restaurant experiences in a long time, maybe ever since I moved to Canada. For those hour and half, how long we were there, we were not eating in Edmonton, AB, we were back in Croatia. And I could not be happier. So highly recommendable place. Such a great service from out server. There is no doubt that I will come again. If I could rate them higher than 5, I definitely would.

Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

I love this little gem! Such amazing cuisine and great service. Their saurkraut soup is to die for. And breaded fried cheese!! Mmmmm

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Older style restaurant with a Eastern European “dowdy” feel ...
server was very good ...
what we had:
Hungarian Sausage was good 12.75 a bit pricey for the portion ...
Cheese platter was average I’ve had much nicer platter very small choice of cheese and pita bread ... I prefer baguette $16.95

Reviewed 14 March 2018

As my brother was celebrating his 80th birthday and he is fond of German food, I booked a table ar Bistro Praha. When we arrived, the restaurant was almost full, but there was only one waiter.
Very disappointed with the food. Wiener schnitzel had more crust than veal, pork hocks were not hocks but ham chunks and escargots were overlooked. Definitely a disappointment and will not return.
Unable to rate service on website, food or value on this site. Food would receive a 2, service a 3 and value a 2.