“Great place for a date!”

Chop Steakhouse & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Chop Steakhouse & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 2,623 Restaurants in Edmonton
Price range: US$15 - US$31
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Ellerslie Road and Calgary Trail
Description: Chop Steakhouse's South Edmonton restaurant features steak, seafood and drink specials; located near Gateway Blvd & Calgary Trail in the Sandman.
Reviewed 12 March 2017 via mobile

We stopped by to see if we could get in without reservations on Friday evening around 6:30. The restaurant was booked but we were able to find room in the bar side. First time we had had a chance to check it out and how nice! Classy, not to big, modern twist yet comfortable. We say I. A large booth that could easily seat 6-8 people.
We had a lovely crab dip starter and enjoyed a great bottle of wine! Followed by an amazing steak and prime rib cooked to perfection. You won't get a better steak or cut of beef anywhere else!
Overall it's a little on the pricy side but you get what you pay for. The steak or prime rib will literally melt in your mouth.
Don't go often but when I want a great cut of beef this is definitely one of the top places to go. Not hugely expensive but on the pricier side of the spectrum.

Nick L, Manager at Chop Steakhouse & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2017

Laurel,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a great review! It's very refreshing to hear from someone who had a great experience. I'm pleased to hear that the food and service were outstanding, and we certainly hope to see you again soon! Please ask for me on your next visit, I would love to stop by your table to thank you for the review in person.

Reviewed 4 March 2017 via mobile

We took friends with us to the Ellerslie location of Chop
Steakhouse last night. For three of us it was our first time to the restaurant. My husband had been to the restaurant for a work event a few weeks back and raved about the food.

One our our guests is celiac and asked for the gluten free menu.

The first waitress to approach our table did not believe the restaurant carried any gluten free beer and until we pointed out that the gluten free menu actually states 'ask your server for our selection of gluten free beer options' she seemed reluctant to go ask.

The second waitress to take our food order us asked how severe our guests gluten allergy was. And if it was severe then management would get involved. Well, being celiac is an autoimmune condition, not an allergy. As well any question about certain menu and their ingredients meant our waitress had to go check with the kitchen. Unfortunately that meant she was back and forth to the kitchen four times.

We were surprised by the lack of knowledge both of the waitresses had about the menu and the ingredients. At a restaurant the level of Chop we expected more.

The food we ordered was excellent, well made and we were all happy with our choices.

Yes, we will be back and will hopefully encounter better trained or more informed staff.

Nick L, Manager at Chop Steakhouse & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2017

Beth,

Thank you for your feedback, and I'm sorry to hear about the disappointing service. All of our servers should know about our beer selections, and I will spend some more time refreshing my team members on that immediately, but I would like to clarify the situation regarding your guest's celiac concerns.

We take all allergies and dietary conditions very seriously. The reason your server asked whether it was a severe condition or not was for your safety. If the concern was as simple as not putting tomato on a burger, the server can easily make note of that on the order and does not need to involve management. Any time where the situation is more complicated, our servers must involve management and the chef. This is to ensure that we are not missing anything, that even the smallest ingredients are taken into consideration so that our guests are 100% safe and informed. Although this may slow down the order process, it ensures that everyone who eats at Chop, regardless of their needs, is well taken care of.

I would still like to chat with you some more about your night and see if there is anything I can do to make things up to you. Could you please email me at ellerslie@chop.ca? I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 25 February 2017 via mobile

I'd like to recognize Nick, the assistant manager, and April, a terrific server, for their outstanding service this evening. Once again Chop excellence. Chop has been our celebration restaurant of choice for birthdays, anniversaries and wedding rehearsal dinners and will continue to be in the future.

Nick L, Manager at Chop Steakhouse & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2017

Monique,

Thank you again for your previous feedback and for giving us another shot. It was a pleasure meeting you and your husband the other night, and I'm glad everything was great for his birthday dinner. I have shared this with April and she was pleased to hear she was able to contribute to such an enjoyable evening for the two of you. We look forward to seeing you again soon! Ask for me during your next visit so I can come say hello!

Reviewed 19 February 2017

Stopped in on a Friday night without a reservation and didn't wait long before seated, the service was impressive, the drinks were delicious. We chose the bourbon glazed chicken wings for an appetizer and they were seriously the best I've had, we both chose steak dinners for our entrée and they were both grilled to perfection and the sides were equally mouthwatering. The dessert we chose was the Caribbean Rum cake and it was sweet but not overly sweet as some desserts can be. We will definitely be back again and recommending them.

Nick L, Manager at Chop Steakhouse & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2017

Alicia,

Thank you for the great review! You've made me curious though, what could we have done to make this a five-star review? Can you please email me at ellerslie@chop.ca so we can chat some more? Thanks!

Reviewed 18 February 2017 via mobile

We have visited Chop a number of times and their food has never ceased to amaze me! It is always fresh, cooked perfectly, and delicious no matter what myself and my party have picked from the menu. The servers and host staff are always friendly, helpful, charming and witty which makes for a wonderful experience. I am certainly a lifelong Chop customer, thanks for everything Chop!

Bmape,

Wow, thank you for the amazing review! I have posted this on the wall in our staff area for all to see. I would love to meet our newest lifelong guest, please ask for me next time you're in so I can stop by your table and introduce myself. I look forward to meeting you!

Nick Lischka,
Assistant Manager

Been to Chop Steakhouse & Bar? Share your experiences!