See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 9 February 2018 via mobile

Run down hotel situated in between a busy one way road and a cargo train lane. Noisy in the nights. Had to stay in this hotel due to last minute changes, but satisfied. Comfortable bed and not so bad breakfast. Once again you get what you pay.

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 25 December 2017

Good price ($69). Then the haggling. Choice.com booked me for a single adult. On arrival, I told clerk that I was "senior", rate $62. Too bad, he said. I gently insisted: OK, I give you $65. No, still gently, senior should be $62. Ok, OK, I make it $62.
Ridiculous: is this motel really part of the Choice chain, which usually has service standards that I trust and respect?
Did I mention the very active railway tracks maybe 50 feet away from the motel? It was my mistake. I should have noticed the tracks (or noticed other reviews mentioning the tracks). I left the motel after being in the room one unpleasant hour. I lost my money for the room, but I eventually found another motel (Quality Inn, Nisku airport) for $79, which is an excellent clean quiet first-class motel. Yes, I decided to pay NOT to stay in this motel!
Room? Could not control heat: thermostat was inoperative. Baseboard heater could not be controlled. Hot, hot room (December), but small window could not be used due to train noise,
Unpleasant atmosphere outside the motel. I met one non-guest while I walked in between car and motel. Another was seated in lobby. There is a sign in the "breakfast area": "Only registered guests may use the breakfast facility". That sign tells me a lot.
The main outside door to the motel requires room key card to be swiped. But the mechanism was broken, and the door was open to the public. Some security.
Choice.com should inspect this low-class motel. And obviously ignore the glowing reviews: totally meaningless troll games.

Room tip: Choose room in another motel.
Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Traveller99ab
Reviewed 27 October 2017

I've stayed in a few motels in Edmonton. Choosing a good deal is pretty much a crap shoot, so I, like many people, rely on reviews. For me, writing reviews is paying it forward.

I basically want a clean room for a good price. I don't need much in the way of amenities. I rarely use the fridge or microwave and am not much of a tv watcher. Free wifi is a must, though.

The Econo Lodge is on Gateway Blvd, just south of Whitemud drive, which is a pretty good location for everywhere I needed to go.

From the look of things, the Econo Lodge has been recently upgraded. It used to be an old style motel with the room doors on the outside, but at some point, the room accesses have been closed in, so the doors and windows no longer open directly outside. This seems like a pretty good idea in a place as cold and dusty as Edmonton.

It would probably save a bundle on heating and cooling and is no doubt much easier to keep the rooms clean.

And clean it was. Except for a somewhat worn carpet leading up to the rooms, the motel, including my room, was very clean. The room itself had been renovated and modernized in the not too distant past and had the usual fridge, tv, AC and coffee maker.

The staff was friendly and accommodating. It directly between a major road and fairly busy train tracks so you do get some noise in the room, but it didn't bother me.

The room was reasonably priced and was good value for the money.

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 23 August 2017

Location is perfect for this place. Hotel has nice rooms. Staff are really friendly and helpful. Will definitely stay there again if I do visit Perth in future.Especially if you have kids. Fast service and super friendly. Kids eat free at jack and ivy and the food is great too!

Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 1 May 2017

2nd visit here and its fabulous - staff, rooms, facilities all great.Food - great choice, varied menu. We came away seriously impressed again, and intend to go back. Wonderful!!Everything was very nice!!

Date of stay: December 2016