“Sushi, oysters, crab, AMAZING”
Review of Plates International Buffet - CLOSED

Plates International Buffet
Reviewed 2 August 2016 via mobile

This place shouldn't be overlooked. I'm not usually a fan of buffet places but this has changed my mind. The food was high quality, service was fantastic, and the variety was unparalleled. Unlimited salmon sashimi... And it was as good as any I've had. The Vietnamese pho soup was also very authentic and high quality. Totally delicious. We will be back!

Reviewed 27 July 2016 via mobile

We went on a quick trip to Edmonton. I haven't been to a dinner buffet for awhile (minus work Chrismas parties etc).

I found it pretty expensive, but they do have a huge selection. I didn't even finish what was on my plate, and I didn't load it up too much, but we were in and out in under a hour... I suppose if you take your time, and if you can eat a lot, it might be worth the money! I didn't even eat dessert... I tried a lot of different foods!

The salad bar is pretty lame. The Cesar salad comes pre-mixed, and it didn't have enough sauce/dressing. But, we have only been once so I am not sure if that is the norm. They did have dressing on the side but I believe those were intended for garden salads.

Some of the food was a bit dry, average tasting. The curry dishes and Chinese food was yummy. The prime rib was great! A lot of food I didn't care to eat after one bite, was nice to try, but never went back for seconds.

I found that they didn't have very much for chicken dishes (minus in Asian dishes), so if you don't like beef or pork, and aren't a fan of Asian flavours, you may be out of luck.

They had quite a bit of seafood, crab legs, shrimps. I didn't try them that evening but noticed a lot of people eating them.

There is a gelato bar, which is fun if you have room for dessert, or for kids! Although, I found that a lot of the food isn't exactly kid friendly, so... not good for picky eaters!

We had great service for drinks, the peach Bellini is really delicious!

I probably won't go back again, unless we have a group of people that would like to go. But as a couple, we won't be returning. Too expensive for a casual date night, with "decent" food.

My partner tried a few different desserts, and said that the cheesecake wasn't "cheesecake enough".

Over all, the restaurant was clean, bathrooms were clean, friendly staff, nice atmosphere.

Reviewed 26 July 2016 via mobile

After a long day at Kdays today, we decided to have a late lunch at Plates. Lunch price is 22.95 per person and kids under 5 eat free. At first, I find the price expensive for a buffet tho but like I said I have to know why it is that expensive. Me and husband loves to eat buffet style and find the food at Plates on the high end side of being a buffet food. Lots of choices: from Sushi, prime rib, shrimp, mussels (they're huge) Dimsum, soup, salads. Name it they have it. Desserts are delish. Try the green tea ice cream. I LOVE IT!!!

My husband tried the dimsum and he found it on the dry side. Probably because its 2pm and been sitting there for almost 3 hours. I am disappointed of not having crabs and oysters tho as on their website it says there are some. But of course with the lunch price, I totally understand why there are no oysters or crab legs on the buffet. My kids love their congee as it taste like my cooking.

All in all, we will be back. We will try to come back on dinner (49.95 per person) on a special occasion as the ambiance is very cozy and elegant. Service was great too. Kudos to Plates staff and management!!!

Reviewed 14 July 2016 via mobile

We heard this place was opening and had to try it out. We went for dinner with some friends it was $42.99 per person for buffet. I have had way better buffets in Las Vegas for less. I was told the idea behind this was Las Vegas style. There was selection in terms of food. Didnt like that meat wasnt precut. A guy behind a counter would give you a little sliver of prime rib. I get the same portion at Sawmills $12.99 buffet. They should have them precut. Your either all you can eat buffet or you arent.

Reviewed 10 July 2016

The restaurant did try to make it an international buffet, Chinese dim sum, Japanese sushi/sashimi, and British roast beef and potatoes. There was a pile of crab legs along with various shell fish. I'm guessing that's why they are able to charge $55 for dinner. If you're not a sea food fan, then I would suggest that you go to another restaurant since you will not get your money's worth.

1  Thank wbsAlberta