“Dim Sum”

Ranked #143 of 4,028 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Fine Chinese Cuisine since 1966 - 44 years. Open 7 days a week and on holidays.
Reviewed 18 September 2018 via mobile

We are just visting Calgary and wanted Dim Sum for lunch yesterday. The Canadian Chinese Cultural Center recommended Silver Dragon. We were not disappointed. It was the best dim sum experience since we left Singapore. The hot tea was on the table before we sat down. The dim sum carts rolled by every few minutes until we were stuffed. The total bill was C$28. A good value! Chop sticks only.

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank ColoradoWanderers

Reviewed 15 September 2018

Having arrived in Calgary a few hours prior to our meal I was pushed to make a choice for celebration of my wife's birthday. What to choose? #1 Asian restaurant in Calgary surely had to be a safe bet.
Sadly this was the worst experience of our three week holiday in Canada.
The service was slow, the dishes arriving sparadically and spread over what must have been more than an hour between arrival of the first Peking Duck and the final 'special' chop suey. I am still lost as to why it was special..
To crown it all the 'sea bass' which we ordered looked suspiciously like Cod; the waiter having offered us Cod repeatedly whilst taking the order.
It really was a bad meal. One of those 'don't let this spoil your birthday Dear' occasions.
Top tip - avoid eating here. Overpriced, mediocre food.

1  Thank DandJ_2008
Reviewed 13 September 2018 via mobile

If food quantity was a deciding factor my rating would be higher. Out of 5 dishes only 2 were worth eating. I think the "baby" shrimp came from a can and they seemed to be in several dishes. The waiter will go down in history in my top 5 of worst. We had 2 choices of soups and he took it upon himself to bring only 1. When we as for 4 of the 2nd he said too late and only brought 2. From that point on the attention to our table was lackluster to BAD. I know there is a better choice in Calgary for Chinese food. I can't recommend this at all!

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 5 September 2018

Have been coming here periodically for well over thirty years - through years of very bad service to improved mediocre service and back to bad again. The decor has never changed and the same dirty broken tile steps remain after all this time.

Have always come here for dim-sum which is kind of fun the way they wheel the carts through table after table. Some servers are cordial and others race on ignoring your table but eventually get some service.

Our shock was the bill at our last visit - weekday lunch for three seniors for dim-sum and water only, no other drinks for $110.00....for three seniors!

I have to say we'd have gone to a lot of other places for much better food and service than mediocre dim-sum and less than interesting service.

Good dim-sum in Hong Kong is less than half this price with a better experience.

1  Thank Peter T
Reviewed 28 August 2018

We had a party of 7 plus a small child. The staff were very gracious and accommodating. The menu is extensive and each item that we tasted had a unigue flavour unlike some Chinese restaurants where everything tastes the same. Chicken hot pot was delicious as were the shrimp dumplings. I can’t say enough about the flavours!