“Surprise Visit With Surprise Results”

Nick's Steak House & Pizza
Ranked #72 of 4,001 Restaurants in Calgary
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: Pizza, Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Northwest Calgary
Description: Nick's - A Family Tradition ~ Nick's Steakhouse & Pizza was founded in 1979 by Nick Petros. Located near the University of Calgary, and across Crowchild Trail from McMahon Stadium. Nick's is one of Calgary's finest steakhouses, and home of the city's best pizza as well!
Reviewed 25 June 2018

Nick's was not our original destination choice, but the wait time at a nearby restaurant was more than we wanted to endure. Nick's was close and seating was immediate. It was my son's decision to make the switch and in the end we were all happy with his choice.

Nick's has been around FOREVER! My last visit was July 1987, on a road trip from our home in Edmonton. Fast forward 31 years, we now live just outside Calgary and we finally returned, this time with my children to celebrate the youngest's 18th birthday. And oddly enough, nothing has changed in 31 years! (Well, okay, maybe a few things have changed, but not much.)

Nick's is located right across the road from McMahon Stadium, on the SE edge of the UofC campus. The free parking lot is not huge compared to seating capacity but there is additional parking available along the service road into Nick's. Not sure what parking is like on a game day, though. The decor inside is not something I would rave about. Definitely a hold-over from years ago...tables and booths that are more reminiscent of a diner than a steakhouse. It's a big restaurant, and they have at least 2 big tables to accommodate larger groups (10-12?).

When the waitress brought the menus, my daughter groaned and I let out a deep sigh. The menu is HUGE! Salads, appies, sandwiches, burgers, steaks, chicken, veal, seafood, pasta, pizza. I worried because too much selection/variety often means mediocre food. I was wrong! The 3 items we ordered were all very well done and tasty. The Stampede burger got great reviews from my son. My daughter loved the Chicken Tetrazzini. I ordered the Rainforest Salad...YUM! Portions were very generous. Presentation was not elegant, but what it lacked in frou-frou-ey presentation it made up for in flavor and quality.

My ONLY complaint? This was my son's 18th birthday so he ordered his first "drink" as an official adult. But he was not carded! No questions asked. I'm not sure what to make of that.

Will we go back? Definitely! The kids both said they want to try other things on the menu. Hopefully, it won't take another 31 years!

nickssteakhouse, Owner at Nick's Steak House & Pizza, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2018

Lunchbag917,

We have renovated and updated our décor numerous times over our 40 years of operation, in order to maintain our retro '70's vibe.
Most importantly,I really appreciate you bringing to my attention that one of my servers failed to ask your son for valid ID.
At Nick's we have a ZERO TOLERANCE policy for failure to follow procedures regarding serving alcohol. All of our front of house staff is Pro Serve certified as required by AGLC (Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission). If you could send me an email to nickssteakhouse@gmail.com with specific details (server's name, date you visited) I will greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for your feedback and I hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 5 June 2018

Nick's was recommended to us for its good food and sports memorabilia. The service was good, the sports memorabilia was very interesting and worth a look. However, the the food was a disappointment. The special was roast beef and Yorkshire pudding and we were looking forward to it. We ordered the meat medium rare but the meat was more medium well and the Yorkshire pudding was burnt on the bottom and soggy on the top. They took the price of the Yorkshire pudding off the bill but for the price the meal was not worth it.

nickssteakhouse, Owner at Nick's Steak House & Pizza, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2018

Hey Tink492015,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am very sorry to hear that the meal was not up to your expectations, yet I'm glad to hear that you brought it to the attention of the staff and they did what they could to rectify the situation. At Nick's, we take pride in our friendly service, and our hearty, home-cooked food made with the best ingredients we can get our hands on. I hope you wont give up on Nick's! We've been feeding the Calgary community for forty years and have no intentions of slowing down - perhaps come by for our Sunday brunch next time, or even just to have some of our famous pizza! Those are two of our biggest crowd-pleasers.

Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

My son and I were down for the Stampede Challenge hockey tournament (Canwest AAA Kings) and both ordered pizza one night and then the whole team ate in the next night. We had about 40 people in there and the staff handled everything impeccably. The food was incredible when we ate in and the pizza we had delivered the previous night was simply awesome. Highly recommended and would definitely stop in again if ever I’m cruising through or staying in Calgary. Good job Nick’s!

nickssteakhouse, Owner at Nick's Steak House & Pizza, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2018

Hey there,

This is fantastic to hear! We absolutely adore getting stories back like this. A huge part of our business is supporting the local community: families, small businesses, sports teams, you name it. Glad to know that your large party had a memorable time with us at Nick's. Pizza is, after all, one of our specialties. Please feel welcome back any time!

Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

This place is huge and has a diverse clientele. From young to old, all are at home here. Good quality and variety. Owners and staff care. A must for Italian.

nickssteakhouse, Owner at Nick's Steak House & Pizza, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2018

Hey Harvery P,

Thank you for your very kind words! At Nick's, we serve hearty, home-cooked meals and never skimp on the quality of our ingredients. It's great to see that echoed in your review. As well, we strive to keep Nick's a place where families of all descriptions can feel welcome. Again, your kind words are greatly appreciated. Please feel welcome back any time!

Reviewed 24 May 2018

Old school steakhouse and pizza place. Decor is till stuck in the 70's but it did work for me. Food is great with excellent steaks which are super tender. Plates are huge and everybody had a hard time finishing their plates. Good service with fair prices.

nickssteakhouse, Owner at Nick's Steak House & Pizza, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2018

Hey Boutip,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us! We're so glad you enjoyed the decor - it's actually something we work very hard to maintain. It sets us apart while keeping us close to our roots. Thanks so much for your kind words! If you ever have the time, swing by Nick's on a Sunday and try out brunch buffet. It's another great option!