“Literally the best pizza in Calgary”

Gus's Cafe & Pizzeria
Ranked #318 of 3,684 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Pizza
Neighbourhood: Northwest Calgary
Neighbourhood: Northwest Calgary
Reviewed 19 March 2017 via mobile

Ok, I'm going to admit that we order lots of pizza -from the franchises to the 'specialty' and local pizza joints, we've tried them all. Without a question, Gus's pizza is the best.

In all the years I've lived in the NW, I've been to Gus's twice. Located on 16th Ave by Foothills Hospital, the in-house dining has good service, but its cafeteria style decor isn't the first place I think of when we want to go out for dinner.

Oh, but the pizza...hand-made Italian crust that's soft but not doughy...to-the-edge toppings that you can really taste...real, actual mozzarella...baked to perfection every time...it's truly the best pizza in Calgary.

Dan has tried the baked lasagna once, Val had the Italian wedding soup and it's good, but nothing spectacular.

Oh, but the pizzzzaaaaa. You get the idea. Try Gus's takeout. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 21 January 2017

Gus's serves pastas, pizzas and salads. Food is made fresh in the kitchen, and is very good! Pizzas are tasty, fresh made, salads are great and pastas are excellent. Restaurant is small and popular at lunch time and early evenings. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 21 November 2016

We have, for the past 4 and a half months ordered a pizza from Gus`s every Saturday night. At first the pizza was delicious but it started to go downhill over the past month and a half. Also, I have always found the staff to be rude and extremely curt. I cannot remember one time that any of them smiled. This past Saturday, November 19th, I ordered two pizzas (at 6:00 p.m.) to be picked up (as usual). I was told it would be 30 minutes. When I arrived at the restaurant to pick up the pizzas (for $44.89), they took the money and told me that my order was lost but they would make them for me. I was offered a drink but no discount. I waited until 7:15 for the pizzas (an additional 45 minutes). As I was about to leave I asked if they would be interested in giving me a discount or credit of some sort, Not one of the staff even make eye contact with me and I was told by the chef (from the kitchen - still not making eye contact) that he would give me a discount the following Saturday. I was very offended at the whole staff`s body language, the rude manner in which they spoke to me and treated me and the presumption that I would be back the following Saturday. The two pizzas that I waited for an hour and 15 minutes for were not good and one of them only had toppings and cheese on three quarters of it. Perhaps it was a bad day but all things considered, we think we can spend $45.00 weekly at some place where our patronage is appreciated even just a little bit. We will not be ordering from Gus`s next Saturday or anymore and I would definitely not recommend it to anyone.

3  Thank clothesupandpersonal
Reviewed 10 September 2016 via mobile

What a spectacular neighbourhood find. It's a small quaint pizzeria. It was tough to know what to order as so many delicious dishes kept pulling our attention away from the menu.
It was a busy Friday night but we were able to get a table when we arrived. We ended up ordering the pepperoni and mushroom pizza, baked manicotti and baked lasagna. Everything was amazing.
We'll definitely be back or call for pick-up/delivery.
Try it, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 11 August 2016 via mobile

We have had a salad, some bread and pizza's. They all are very tasty. Our mistake was that we ordered the medium size. Small size would have been enough as well. The restaurant doesn't have an Italian atmosphere. That's a pity.