“Expensive Rice”

Zaika Biryani House
Ranked #1,658 of 3,684 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Pakistani
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I've driven past this place at least 50 or 60 times on my way to Pacific Place and managed to get some take out before the lunch rush. There's lots of parking as it's in one of the business strip malls. The main attraction of this place is the lunch buffet. It had a small selection of food mostly chicken, (3 types that day), a couple of vegetarian dishes and salad and some fruit. Cost is around $11 which is pretty reasonable for a buffet. The menu for take-out is a bit confusing so I asked the lady what there was and she pointed me to the menu that I couldn't really understand. I ended up with Chicken Biriyani which she told me had 3 pieces of chicken and rice. The cost was $6.29. That sounded really cheap to me except that the 3 pieces of chicken basically consisted of the tops of 3 small drumsticks and the rest of the container was biriyani rice. The flavour was decent but you are really paying a lot for rice. There wasn't enough chicken to go with the rice and you got a small container of raita which I didn't care for. The food was okay but I question the amount of chicken that was given. I might go back to try the all-you-can eat buffet ($10.99) just to taste the rest of the dishes (4 meat and 4 vegetarian dishes, mostly chicken for the meat) but I would give this a miss for take-out.

1  Thank Eswina N

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Went to this restaurant 4 times with the family, but it was closed, even though it should have been opened according to their store hours.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Came here twice and both times I came here it was closed and according to the store hours it should have be opened

Reviewed 27 March 2013

Nice buffet but slightly higher prices. Though variety is limited still a good option for simple dinner. Baryani and chicken karahi were wonderful. The space is limited and the service is average.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

Went to Zaika Biryani House with a few friends and enjoyed our selves. The restaurant is small but cozy. The naan bread and biryani bread is made fresh. I found the food very spicy, and you may find it hard to enjoy if you don't like a lot of hot stuff.

1  Thank kmsultan