“Not worth the hassle”

Apex Massage Therapy
Ranked #13 of 83 Spas & Wellness in Calgary
More attraction details
Owner description: Apex Massage Therapy Ltd is a group of well-educated massage therapists who care about their clients.Established in 1994, our team of Registered Massage Therapists are available 7 days a week to offer therapeutic, pregnancy, sports or couples massage.
Reviewed 20 March 2016

Do not waste your time! The people working here are so unorganized and unprofessional. The time before last, it was 10 minutes after my massage was supposed to start so I re-checked in with one of the two receptionists blabbing away to each other. I was rudely told that my masseuse would be with me shortly. It wasn't a concern for them that 10 minutes of my massage time was already gone even though I'd gotten there early. The masseuse was nice and at least apologized. She hadn't been told I was there apparently. I went back again today, mainly because they're open on Sunday's and I assumed the rude staff and mix up would be a one off. I showed up today for my latest prenatal massage and was again treated like crap. The room was not set up for a prenatal massage and there was no bolster. The masseuse blamed me for not saying it was a prenatal massage when I booked but I very clearly did and considering I'd been there previously for a prenatal massage I didn't understand why I was getting scolded. I requested a bolster to lay on my stomach and the masseuse said she didn't do that so if I wanted a massage I would have to use the side bolster. I agreed to the side, even though it wasn't what I wanted, and waited for more time while I listened to the masseuse and receptionist again blame me for not booking the corrct appointment. Eventually my room was set up with what was supposed to be a side bolster. Instead there were just some sleep pillows for me to lay on. So apparently I wasn't even worth an actual massage bolster. I ended up leaving without getting the massage because I was so disgusted. The receptionist was then extra rude again telling me it was my fault and that they had bolsters. To which the masseuse said she didn't know how to give a massage with the side bolster. This place is a disaster and unless you want messed up appointments and rude staff, stay away!

2  Thank Nicole W

Reviewed 2 November 2015

I've had a number of massages over the past few years, and living in different cities has made me try out quite a few different places. Apex is by far the best. Not only do you get an excellent professional massage from well trained RMTs, but the atmosphere feels like a spa and not clinical at all.

I had a negative experience once, and after providing feedback about it I was called by the manager and offered another appointment to make me feel better. I know that no matter what, I am guaranteed to come away satisfied and if the massage isn't great, they are very receptive to feedback.

The staff members are friendly and always welcome me back even if I haven't been for awhile. I wish more places were like Apex! I've been going there for almost three years and I tell everyone I know to check it out as well.

Reviewed 15 September 2015

I've been going to Apex Massage bimonthly for 2 1/2 years now. I had tried several places downtown before settling on Apex and have been really happy. I've consistently been impressed with the quality of massages. I really like that there is virtually no pressure to re-book, and especially no pressure to re-book with the same therapist.

I've tried several of the therapists and found a range of skill from average to excellent. They offer a few different techniques, which is great. I've always felt really good after a massage and find them, for the most part, responsive to my specific needs.

I also find the therapists not terribly chatty, or at least able to gauge how much I want to chat. Personally, I like a quiet massage where I can be lost in my own thoughts and I've always received that at Apex.

A few times they've even followed up to provide additional stretches that I can do at home. I really like that extra time and thought they put into me and that they care that I get feeling better.

I saw some other reviews bringing up the music. Most of the time I'm treated to some contemporary acoustic music (AAA style), usually I recognize a few of the tracks and I really like that. I'm not a big fan of "spa music", which I find cheesy. I was only there once when they were playing something I didn't like and the therapist changed the music for me without any complaint.

The price is a bit higher than other places, which isn't great, but obviously it doesn't bother me enough to switch. If you subscribe to their newsletter, they send out discounts from time to time so it's not always shy of a $100 bill.

It's rather close to where I live in Sunnyside. I like to take the train to Banff Trail station and it's a short walk from there, although not always so pleasant if it's raining or snowing that day. They don't have any bike locks, unfortunately.

I usually do massages when I have a weekday off, so I haven't had any issues booking. I've had several days where I've called when they open and been able to get a massage in a couple hours. If I plan on going on a weekend or evening, I try to book a week ahead of time and have never had problems. They always seem really accommodating, patient and helpful.

Reviewed 30 August 2015 via mobile

I've been coming here for a long time and have had various therapists and they have all been great! I won't go anywhere else.

Reviewed 21 November 2014

I submitted for a massage on Thursday morning for a Saturday massage.

The website promotes being able to get in "We guarantee same day appointments when you call prior to 10:00am weekdays. When you have pain, you don’t want to wait. When you’re busy you don’t want to be told the only available appointment is at 2:00pm on a Monday"

Now for two days notice I thought I could get in however when I called on Friday they were completely booked up for the entire weekend. The lady didn't even look to see if me appointment was made. I had to specifically ask 3 times. and was given no other option to book.

If you are booked full, you should call the client right away to book at another time!

Usually love this place.... not sure now.....

1  Thank Nicole G