1,274 results
All reviewsport o callwater slidesgreat water parkcabana roomkiddie poolclose to the airportmain poolunderground parkinghot tubgreat hotelbreakfast buffetfront desk staffa great staycalgary airportfitness roomlate checkrooms are spacious
Reviewed 12 July 2018

Hearing that there was a water slide, we should have better recognized that there would probably be a large number of children who wanted to have fun.
I was raised to KNOW that one can have fun and respect others at the same time.
Why some parents seem to think it is okay to teach their children that it is acceptable to race back and forth in the hallways is beyond me however, it is one of those things that hotels have very little control over, unless another guest chooses to spend their time to track down the owners of the unruly children.

Upon arrival we hoped to get a room with two queen beds however, we were told that with a 99% occupancy, none of those rooms were available so we graciously accepted the king bed they offered.
The room was very nice and faced the west where we could watch some of the airplanes land and take off.
I was please to note the triple glazed windows which eliminated most of the airport noise (except the very large jets on takeoff).
The room was very nicely laid out and included a couch (sofa bed) and a chair as well as a business desk and chair.
It was nice to see that they also included an outlet on the desk for a laptop as well as a retractable internet cable (in case you chose not to go wireless).
This was the first hotel that provided an in-room coffee maker which allowed the option of one or two cups of coffee.
It may not take long between cups when normally brewing but being able to do both at the same time was a nice touch.
Another interesting touch was that they had real glassware (mugs and glasses) instead of the normal plastic/paper/Styrofoam ones.
The position of the large TV screen was a bit awkward in that it was not centered on either the bed or the couch.
I incorrectly presumed that the position they chose meant it would be equipped so that it could pull out and turn accordingly but this was not the case so, regardless of where one decided to watch from, you had to look at the screen from a sideways angle. A little strange but not the end of the world.

The king bed felt comfortable but both of us woke up with aches indicating this was not the bed for us.
For the most part there was very little noise during the night so we did enjoy that aspect.
The bathroom was very well done.
First they provided a sink in the "anti-room" so that one could wash their hands without disturbing the person using the facilities which we felt was an excellent touch.
Next they reduced the size of the counter and turned the toilet to increase the amount of room and mobility in the bathroom itself.
This was HUGE considering that this was one of the suggestions we had made to each of the previous hotels we had stayed in.
The bath/shower was one large fixture and it was very nicely done.
Someone thought about the fact that a large number of people in the world are tall and they used an adapter to re-position the shower head all the way up to the ceiling.
GREAT JOB.
Ample towels were available on a wicker stand.
One minor drawback was the odor of chlorine that remained in them.
I understand the need to clean and disinfect however, chlorine is toxic and remains one of my pet peeves.
Another great touch was providing bathrobes in the rooms.
I have found this normally reserved for higher-end hotels so it was very enjoyable to lounge around in one.
We had become accustomed to Best Western providing a free breakfast in the morning and were slightly disappointed to learn that this location had discontinued this practice.
We learned that the Skyharbour Grill offered a buffet breakfast so opted to try it.
I will make a separate post about the restaurant but will say here that it was definitely NOT WORTH WHAT THEY CHARGED.
We did pop into the pool area just to see what it was like and were immediately overpowered by my least favourite chemical, chlorine.
I absolutely understand that when large numbers of children are present in a pool, it is often difficult to control the level of toxins they leave behind however, there MUST be a happy medium somewhere and, in my opinion, it should not be anywhere close to the point where it knocks me on the ground.
Regardless, the six people who were using the pool appeared to be enjoying themselves.
Check out was efficient and we were asked if we had parked underground or not (something that was not mentioned or offered at check-in).
The entire facility was remarkably clean; parking lot, entrance, hallways, and room.
There was a rugby pitch immediately to the west and, while we stayed there, several games were being played so that too provided some entertainment.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank jonathan k
Lisa M, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Port O'Call Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2018

Jonathan k

Firstly, I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to write such a well described and detailed review. Your Attention to detail is great! I'm not sure that we've had a guest comment on details such as the hardwire... or noticing the robes! Thank you for that!!! Yes best western hotels do offer a free continental breakfast however we do offer a wide variety with menu items you will not have at a Free Breakfast. We do offer a package that includes breakfast at a 50% savings that is very popular with families
In addition to your many valid points, we appreciate your views and concerns. We do expect parents to supervise their children and to be respectful of others although, parenting views and upbringings are different for each family and we need to be respectful of one’s values. However we do address parents and children when we see unsafe or disrespectful behavior.
As for the chlorine this is automated and filtered based on PH Levels. We strictly follow AB Health services to ensure safe practices are followed.
I would love to learn more of your experience at Skyharbour Grill and welcome you to contact me personally so that I can address your concerns

Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

CALGARY

We stayed at Port O’Call Best Western and it is excellent. The rooms are modern, clean and very comfortable. We eat dinner the first night in the hotel bar and the pizzas are very good. Last night we eat at the hotel dinning room and had prime rib and vegetables for $20 and it too was very good. Unless you want to go out to eat, then the hotel is a good choice. This hotel in near the airport and they have a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel. The Uber to down town cost $20.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Voyles

Thank you for staying with us and dining at our Skyharbour Grill and Jetz Bar & Lounge. I too like our pizza and find it to be one of the best served in Calgary. On Wednesday and Thursday evenings we offer our Prime Rib Special for 19.95 per person and is very much enjoyed. Your comments are much appreciated and we look forward to having you stay and dine again!

All the Best

Reviewed 5 July 2018 via mobile

We needed a place to stay near the Calgary airport. I am glad we decided to stay here. The rooms were spacious and clean! This hotel had many options as far as swimming-hot tubs-pool and apparently a water park downstairs. We did not get a chance to see the water park but thought that was a great amenity for families! Staff was friendly. At the front desk they gave us coupons for the Calgary tower. Would stay here again!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family

Iwest1124

It would be our pleasure to have you stay again! It sounds as though you had a great time in waves water park. This is our main pool that is popular and the number one reason families come to stay and play at the Port O’ Call . We do offer a second pool adjacent to our fitness centre. This pool is normally taken advantage of when guests are looking for a quieter option as it is smaller and more secluded. Another FREE advantage we have available is our racquet ball court…kids are amazed and very curious as to why the small door???
Thank you for enjoying your time with us!

Reviewed 3 July 2018 via mobile

We travelled to Calgary for the Canada Day long weekend. We chose this hotel due to good reviews and excellent waterpark for our 6-year old twin girls. Before we arrived,we called them if we can check in early. The lady I spoke to said it depends if the room is available. Having said that, we showed up at noon and they accommodated us and gave us our key card!!
The room is huge with 2 queen beds . Very nice bathroom with complimentary toiletries. We are on the 5th floor and my kids loved looking out the window. There’s coffee, tea creamers you name it. Flat screen TV .
We used the waterpark and the kids loved it!! The big pool is on the cooler side with probably no heater but my kids doesn’t care! All they care was to go up and down the huge slides!!
We purchased our zoo tickets through front desk. It was a huge discount and we skipped the long line ups at the zoo!
I can’t say anything about the restaurants as we didn’t go there to eat. We explored the city and googled some restaurants close by!
The only thing I can say is there’s no complimentary breakfast! My co-worker there used to be a breakfast included during the stay but this time there’s none. You have to pay $14.95/adults and half price for kids.
All in all it was a great stay. Will recommend to my friends and family.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for staying with us, I am happy to know that you enjoyed your time with us and that the pool was much enjoyed. As for the view I hope that you had views from the west side as you can take in the city skyline, mountains, airport and Nose Hill Park! They are absolutely breath taking in the evening. Our Breakfast package is available year round as we promote this on our website and have a stand at our check in counter to remind guests to take advantage of the great savings available!
Thank you for recommending us!

Reviewed 3 July 2018 via mobile

We having been wanting to stay here for a long time and finally made it happen this weekend. Check in was easy and super friendly! They even had cake for guests for Canada Day which was a kind gesture. There is 15 minute complimentary parking spots to make unloading easier as the parking lot is a bit of a walk and the parkade didn’t seem very accessible for luggage carts. We had a regular 2 queen bed quest suite we booked with air miles. We will definitely book a suite next time as it works better for our family but the room was well set up, roomy, had comfortable beds, plenty of towels, a sink in and out of the bathroom and a microwave and mini fridge. A crib was promptly brought up for our baby which we appreciated.
The pool was a highlight. We loved the wading area for our littlest and how warm the water was. Our son enjoyed the slides and I liked how much room there was for playing in the slide pool. We had breakfast at the Skyharbor and were pleased. Very good and worth eating there. We were graciously given a late checkout which allowed us to use to the pool for a bit after eating. That was wonderful!
The only thing that took away from our stay was that our room was above a set of balcony rooms. Guests were outside until at least midnight and were so loud it seemed like they were in our room. It was Canada Day and I didn’t want to be a stick in the mud so we let the noise go. What was really awful was the cigarette smoke that travelled into our room from them smoking on the balcony. I would have called downstairs about that but my baby was finally asleep and I didn’t want to risk waking her by calling. When we checked out we weren’t asked how our stay was.
Overall we would likely stay again. We have stayed at a few Calgary hotels in the area so if the price was right the next time we are down, it will be our list of possibilities.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family

Dear Teresa S
Dear

Thank you for spending Canada Day with us! Our team is always happy to welcome new guests to our hotel and will do what is needed to make things great in hopes that you become a returning customer. I do understand and can appreciate not wanting to wake your baby. We do offer rooms with balconies, guests are not permitted to smoke on them as they are expected to smoke only in designated areas , unfortunately some guests fail to abide by the rules and laws. Anytime a concern is called we expect a Manager on Duty to investigate and address the situation immediately. We want each of our guests to feel welcome and safe throughout their stay as we pride ourselves on being a hotel with great services and values.

I do hope that we gain you as a valued guest!