“Great Greek Food and Service”
Review of Calypso's Taverna

Calypso's Taverna
Ranked #71 of 4,001 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 12 January 2017

Located in a very tiny strip mall off of Centre St, this is our go to Greek place when we want our fill of Saganaki, moussaka, squid, ribs and kleftiko.

Eight of us braved the Calgary cold weather to celebrate my son's birthday. Of the eight, two were children aged 5 and 7. We were quickly greeted and our drink orders taken (one scotch, 2 glasses of wine, a rum and coke and two pops for the kids).

We ordered our food and were served relatively quickly. As noted in another review, the staff here were very good at making sure that our appetizers (saganaki and spanakopita) were finished before bringing our 1st course (soups and salads) and that these were done before bringing our mains.

Our table ordered a soutzoukakia dinner, artemis chicken, mousaka, stuffed calamari, Greek ribs, ceasar salad with grilled chicken and two children's size chicken souvlaki. My son and I split the stuffed calamari and the greek rib so that we could taste two different dishes. While the calamari was very good with a spicy sauce, the Greek ribs were excellent and highly recommended.

We had so much food that we took some home with us and had no room at all for dessert.

Good location with easy parking, great food and super service... this is what Greek dining is about.

The total bill, excluding tip, was $222.

Reviewed 29 December 2016

Family run, very clean, very good food. Don't let the exterior fool you, this is not a burger joint. The food choices are classically prepared Greek dishes that are consistently well prepared and always delicious. Have eaten here on a number of occasions at different times of the year and are always pleased. Highly recommend the stuffed calamari, as well as the dolmades as appies. Greek salad is well dressed and delicious.

Reviewed 22 October 2016 via mobile

My husband & I have been here a few times before and love the Athenian Seafood Pasta.

This was our first visit to the restaurant with our infant and we were quite disappointed. They did not have enough highchairs; so we did not get one for our son. When I asked the server if there was a change table in the washrooms they said no. Which was yet another disappointment.

The servers are friendly and nice.

We ordered the Calamari, Pita with Hummus & Athenian Seafood pasta with pop and then bill was $49; not bad.

Food is average & it's not a bad place to dine; I would not recommend it for a family.

Not sure if we will return.

Reviewed 24 September 2016 via mobile

Had a selection of awesome appetizers for supper. Wonderful ribs, meatballs, Greek salad, everything... Fantastic.

Reviewed 19 September 2016

I've driven past this place for years, and to be honest, something about the exterior never seemed that appealing. Finally went in for dinner recently and I was really surprised. Firstly, it's a real family run place. The waitress was knowledgeable about the food, and the food is really good.

The lentil soup that day was amazing. My Lamb was tender and very falvourful. My wife had the salmon special, and it must have been great, because she wouldn't let me try it!

Not inexpensive, but a decent value. As is typical of this type of restaurant, the service wasn't fast, but it was friendly and efficient. Free Parking out front.

We will be back.