“Poor stay, oversold, trainee staff - nice follow up though”
Review of The Westin Calgary

The Westin Calgary
Ranked #25 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Sydney, Australia
“Poor stay, oversold, trainee staff - nice follow up though”
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Fast one night stay in mad week of five city itinerary - arrived 3.30pm as Platinum SPG and colleague got room, I was told not ready, sorry, would give me nice room in an hour. Went to meeting, arrived back and not till after 5 was I given a room, which unlike promise, was same as what I booked - fine - but was told we are sorry, and have upgraded you. Room then wasn't ready, lovely cleaners said give us 5 min more and rest of stay uneventful but trainee on check in desk made various other errors incl being woken up with wrong wake up call. To be fair, Westin emailed a week later saying sorry, some extra points, but the point is they charged me almost $500 for the night in a standard room so for this money - even in booming Alberta - you expect better. Starbucks provided free wifi as usual - thanks - but for Westin while waiting for room it was an enormous effort to give me a log in code. Next time will try elsewhere

Room Tip: New tower apparently superior
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank EK201
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Dear AP Jackson,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Trip Advisor. I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the level of service that you received during your most recent stay. This certainly does not reflect our usual attentive service and I have spoken with the Front Office Manager so that we can use this as an opportunity for training. Please accept my apologies and I hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back again the next time you are in Calgary.

Kind regards,
Didier Luneau, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2012

The Westin Calgary was great. We had three little kids, and they immediately welcomed us by giving the kids children's packs with cute rubber ducks and night lights. They were a hit. They also upgraded our room at no charge, and they brought a cot for the third kid (also no extra charge). The cot was really great, not one of the flimsy ones that you sometimes get. This one was firm and comfy. Bedding was great all around. Service was excellent and all the staff were friendly and really wonderful. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Get a corner room, upgraded with a large bathroom and extra sitting room space.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Laura D
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We visited this hotel and we're so appreciative of the incredible service. At check in, the Westin employee noticed we had a lot of bags. He asked if our family would like more space and our teenage kids were thrilled. We only stayed one night but it was lovely. We all had lots of space to relax and we thoroughly enjoyed the heavenly beds!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Charmaine B
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2012

i stayed here recently on a business trip and I was not impressed. The lobby is stunning and the staff are friendly, however, I am not impressed with the condition of the room. There was mould in the shower (see pic) and the fan vent looked liked it had never been cleaned (see picture). i was on the 3rd floor in the older wing (in an apparently upgraded room) but i could hear the water pipes with every flush on the floors above - if you are a light sleeper this becomes a problem. Can also hear too much traffic from the street.
You are paying a high price for the location - otherwise you might find better value elsewhere.

Room Tip: not sure if there is a good room here. Always find it noisy
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank SusanM643
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Dear SusanM643,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor. I am very sorry that you were disappointed with your guestroom experience in our business tower. The cleanliness issues you experienced are unacceptable and certainly not a reflection of our usual attention to detail and high standards of cleanliness. I have spoken with our Director of Housekeeping so that this may be addressd promptly. Please accept our apologies, and I do hope that you will be back again the next time you're in Calgary. Perhaps our main building would be worth a try on your next visit.

Kind regards,

Didier Luneau, General Manager
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Great experience at the Calgary Westin. Even though I booked my reservation through hotwire, I still got my room upgraded plus some extras. Stayed on a weekend so this downtown hotel was relatively quiet. Front desk service was exceptional and really did their best to make sure my stay was a great experience even though I was only there for one night. Rooms are very clean with good furniture, bedding and quality bathing products (as you would expect from a Westin Hotel). Definitely my choice hotel for a pampered, mini-retreat that doesn't break the bank. Hot breakfast buffet also delicious (but pricey if it's not included with your room). Valet parking or parking the the underground lot is also expensive but I think consistent with other downtown hotels. All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel for business travellers, couples, and those wanting to getaway for the weekend.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple