“Mmmmm”

Block Kitchen and Bar
Ranked #2 of 158 Restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Wine Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Banff's newest hot spot bringing a menu of hearty rustic sandwiches for lunch and tapas for evening with a paired wine list and progressive cocktail menu.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Talk about delicious food!
The spicy beef bowl was to die for. I came back two days in a row for it- perfect winter dish. The IPAs I could drink all day, they have a delicious selection and all the drinks are on point.

1  Thank littlemoecmoe

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We found this restaurant on TripAdvisor, and they earned their rating. It's located on a main street in Banff. We both had the ramen dish. It was fabulous. The prices were reasonable. The restaurant is small; only about 10 tables. Everything that the people around us ordered looked good too. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 6 October 2018

Very small locale, excellent tapas, skilled bartender, and relatively well priced given the unusual fare. Menu changes frequently based on what they buy and what is locally available. Would go back. Found their food far more interesting and affordable than the higher end hotels in the area. Were there off season on a weekday night in late September, so getting in was not terribly difficult. A few days earlier and the wait was daunting. They text you when you seat is available, and you can walk around town until then.

Reviewed 5 October 2018

Had a terrific dinner here while visiting Banff. The food was fabulous as was the staff - highly recommend if you are in the area and looking for a cozy place with a variety of flavors. The place is tiny and they don’t take reservations - the only thing keeping me from 5 stars is that I felt cramped and like my neighbors on either side were actually at the table with me.

Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

I ordered spicy beef and my wife ordered sushi. Beef are good but sushi are not so good. 1. It's not sushi. No wasabi, no shoryu, it's more like salmon with rice. 2. Too salty. Seems chief use salt to replace shoryu. I had to say it's fine by me. But I prefer spicy beef more.

1  Thank Shell X
Stephane P, Owner at Block Kitchen and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2018

Hello Shell X,

Thanks for your review. I'm glad you and your wife enjoyed the beef bowl.

As for the "Sushi" I need to clarify a few things:

1. It's a Sushi Bowl, Poke style, which has a lot of room for interpretations. Wasabi is not mandatory but we do use Wasabi Tobiko in ours instead. I hope you noticed.
2. I don't use salt to replace Shoryu (Shoyu, soy sauce) I actually use Tamari, sesame oil, red shiso and umeboshi for seasoning. Sorry if you felt it was too salty.

Best regards,