Free cancellation until 25/07
US$312
US$279
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$319/night.

Buffalo Mountain Lodge(Banff)(Great Value!)
US$310
Banff Aspen Lodge(Banff)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$379
US$319
Hidden Ridge Resort(Banff)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 25/07
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$295
US$274
Hotels.com
Brewster's Mountain Lodge(Banff)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 22/07
US$327
US$294
  • Breakfast included
US$486
US$302
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$352/night.

Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets(Banff)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$334
US$311
Travelocity
US$265
US$197
Orbitz.com
Savings alert! 37% below average rates

The price you found is 37% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$313/night.

All reviewsink potsupper fallsbeautiful canyongas stovelake louisesmall cabinclawfoot tubtour busesbanff national parkthe wood burning fireplaceon site restaurantlocation is excellentbeds were comfortableminute drivemini fridgecanadian rockieshike
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I have hiked the Johnston Canyon multiple times but have never, until Sept 11-13, 2012, stayed at the resort either as a camper or renting a cabin. I booked our stay about a week in advance as we were unsure of our timeline due to guests in from out of town but there were many spots open when I did book.

I specifically mentioned that we were on a pseudo honeymoon for three days having gotten married on Sept 8, 2012 and as I am also 8 months pregnant we could not travel that far from a hospital or from home. Plus being a dog friendly resort, we took our two dogs so that we did not have to try and find a dog sitter at the last minute.

When I checked in, I inquired about perhaps being upgraded (as per an email that I had sent informing them of our marriage status) and the reception staff member was less than enthusiastic and bluntly answered no when I asked about an upgrade. "Um, no", was her exact phraseology. I clearly saw the booking sheet for the week that we were at the resort and there were clearly only a maximum of 10 cabins booked of the many that were available.

Granted, the cabins are nice (quaint, warm, cozy), the sheets are clean and the towels are rich and luxurious but the staff members have no idea about customer service. We ate at the cafe or restaurant on site every day (as there was no other choice in close proximity), went to the little store there everyday, and being two of maybe a handful of people who were at the resort during the day, were treated like we had never stepped foot in the place before. I did not wear any disguises, nor did my husband, so we looked the same on every visit, but they still treated us like we had only just arrived.

Not a month earlier, during the height of summer traveling, a friend of mine went to the Chateau Lake Louise for his honeymoon for three days and they were upgraded from a common room to a honeymoon suite for no extra charge and that resort was FULL! We didn't even get a "Congratulations" or a "What brings you here this week?" or a "Where are you folks from?" Nothing that made us feel like this was a special experience or that we were more than an inconvenient disturbance to their ongoing personal conversations.

Our cabin, 5a, looked onto the roof of the staff cabin and parking lot. If we didn't look down, we could see the skyline and mountains. What kind of view is that in a place that overlooks a beautiful canyon and that isn't even at capacity with guests? Very disappointed for the amount of money we did spend.

The website did not have a picture of the room we got but if I had known, we would have taken a little table for storage. In the room is a lovely wood burning fireplace, a queen sized bed, some comfy sitting chairs close to a replica pot bellied stove and a huge bathroom. However, nowhere to put luggage, our toiletries had to be precariously balanced on a two inch ledge in front of the mirror and the shower curtain which only went half way across the bathtub. They do not have phones, tv reception, or even a clock radio in the room (which are all not negatives in my opinion - we didn't go away to be entertained by electronics) but they do have a small fridge and a vcr / tv combination with an 11 inch screen so that we could have rented outdated vcr movies for a fee from the reception desk. I would suggest to the owners that they replace this relic of an item with a microwave so that people can at least eat snacks or warm up left over food if they want to. I would email the owners my opinion, but their website seems to be stalled and broken too.

I would be hard pressed to call this group of cabins in the woods a resort. Would I stay here again for that price? No.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michelle P
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We stayed two nights kinda off the beaten track halfway between Banff and Lake Louise. We booked a cottage that had a fireplace and a queen size bed. It was very clean and ultra cute. And surprisingly modernized with lots of power plugs, lights and the gas fireplace. During the day the area is busy with hikers but at night the area was very quiet and dark as to see the stars. Would recommend it to anyone travelling with a vehicle who wants something out of town.

Room Tip: They all looked good!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank turistik
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed here for a night in early July and it was wonderful. The fireplace cottage we had was comfortable, clean and a good value, considering the prices for hotels elsewhere in Banff National Park. It is a little retro feeling but we loved that. Also wonderful was being able to go out and visit the canyon later in the day after all the crowds had left. Definitely a place we'd return to.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Amanda23Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We had planned to stay at Johnston canyon for 5 nights, but shorten to 3 days, this was due to a number of reasons. If you go in the summer this location is in the woods so expect plenty of mosquitos!
On the positive side.. the location is great, plenty of walking/hiking opportunities, plenty of wildlife and a lovely drive to the cabin. The bathroom was also huge and the gas fireplace was a nice touch.
One the negative side.. I agree with other reviewers that it is overpriced and your don't get alot for your money. We stayed in a classic cabin, which was in need of some repair, the mosquito nets had plenty of holes and dead flys and bugs were everywhere along the window sills and walls indicating a lack of cleaning throughout the cabin. The towels did get changed everyday but they were old and in need of updating. If you are traveling as a group, there is limited car parking space, one per cabin and on one occasion we had to ask the neighbours to move there numerous vehicles!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Gill851
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I was four nights in Johnston Canyon, and my conclusion is that I pay too much for what is it. The facilities are simple, rudimentary but well. I believe you can get much better hosted without the cost they charge. The cleaning and storage huts lacking. It isn't infrastructure. Although there is a TV in the cabin, it is only good for watching DVDs because there is no antenna. The radio does not work. I believe it is possible to be much better to go up and do the walk in Johnston Canyon. There isn't a "service" reception .... in fact, did not seem far from a resort.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends