New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Nanjing, China
“Perfect for Families”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

Douglas Fir was a great family hotel with plenty of things to do in the evening to burn off the kids last bit of energy.
We stayed in a 1 bedroom w/ loft and loved it. The room had a real mountain ski resort feel to it. There's also a grocery store attached to the hotel so any odds and ins that you need can be picked up without leaving the property.
Any time we're back in Banff we'll definitely stay at this hotel.

2 Thank jmm474
BanffFamilyHotel, Manager at Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Thank you for your review, I’m pleased to hear how wonderful your stay was with us. Our suites and cabins are the perfect mountain getaway for many and our on-site grocery store provides convenience for the last minute bits and pieces you may have forgotten. We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us once again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Korean first
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

We had fun at the kid zone and pool, although the pool hours were less than what we anticipated. My problem was with the cleanliness of our room. I moved the bed to accommodate my playpen and revealed a dirt/hair elastic/mess pile against the wall. No big deal, I don't think hotels move the beds to vaccuum so I was not concerned. Then the mes stayed there the whole time! I didn't let my child play in there and felt grossed out. I don't know what the cleaning crew did when they came, but I had to call and ask for towels.

The place was FREEZING when we arrived and even with the heat cranked and the fire on, it took hours to heat up. Not a big deal, unless you have a kid who needs to nap in the bedroom where there are no heat vents.

Other than that we had a great time. My sister had the unit beside us and her dishwasher didn't work. I wrote the hotel to express my concerns and never heard back. I think that frustrated me more than the mess.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank S G
BanffFamilyHotel, Director of Sales at Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. I am disappointed to hear that our level of cleanliness was not up to our usual exceptional standards. We take pride in our resort and this time it seems we missed the mark. I would also like to apologise that your comments regarding your stay were not responded to. We are following up with the appropriate departments as to why this happened.
It is great news that your enjoyed your stay regardless of the outstanding issues and I would love to welcome you back to the Douglas Fir Resort in the future so we can make you feel more at home. Please feel free to contact me directly as I’d like to follow up with you in person.
Rocky Mountain House, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

Clean, Quiet Studio Room with almost everything needed in the kitchen with pots and frying pans (only 2 mixing bowls but thats just means hubby washes them between uses + we brought our own Roaster), even has a bottle opener and cork screw for the wine. Loved that wood burning fireplace in the room. Pool, hot tub and fitness room were great.

We will be back again!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marty B
BanffFamilyHotel, Manager at Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Thank you for your review. I’m pleased to hear how at home you felt in our Studio Suite. It’s great that you found our fully equipped kitchens so convenient when it came to preparing a family meal and saves you money from going to restaurants every night. We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

We brought our 2 grandchildren up to Banff for a ski weekend and stayed at the Douglas Fir Resort. We have stayed with them there before but this time we booked a loft unit in the lodge. This was a good call as the kids did not have to go outside to get to the waterslide. It was convienient to have a half bath on the upper loft level. I booked enough in advance that we got the early bird special discount which was a decent savings. The Douglas Fir Resort is a great family resort and we will continue to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Loislouise
BanffFamilyHotel, Manager at Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent ski weekend with us! It’s wonderful to hear you enjoyed your stay and made great use of our Early Bird discount on your ski package. We have a number of great promotions throughout the year to help you save. You can stay connected to us through our Facebook, Twitter and e-newsletter to be the first to know when we have specials available. We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon!
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

Quite a nice resort - not a dazzle you type place but very clean and well appointed. Great spot for kids. We had the one bedroom condo. Rooms were clean, applliances clean and functional, kitchen well equipped - everything we needed to cook our meals. Staff were friendly and helpful. Plus the waterslides and playzone was a hit with my 6 year old son.

My second time staying at Douglas Fir and I would definitely stay again if I have the opportunity to spend more time in Banff.

Room Tip: IF you have small kids, consider getting a room in the main lodge as you won't have to go outsid...
2 Thank Mel L
Thank you so much for your review. We are delighted to hear how much you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. You sound like you made great use of our fully equipped kitchens and that our Playzone and waterslides lived up to your son’s expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Douglas Fir Resort in the future.