“Holiday from hell”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Trabolgan
Trabolgan Holiday Village
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Trabolgan
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We arrived late on Monday 16th April & were allocated house number 124. We went straight to bed when we got there so I didn't get to see the house properly till Tuesday morning. There was food left in the press from the previous occupants. I went to boil the kettle to make my 6 month old baby a bottle but found some grass inside. I then tried to use the microwave but the turntable didn't work. The light on the landing also didn't work. So when my husband saw one of your maintenance men outside he called him to see if we could get the light fixed. He came in to advise that the house is wired wrong. You have to turn on the switch at the bottom of the stairs first then use the switch at the top to turn on the light. The light switch in the bedroom off the kitchen also has wiring problems as the switch "fizzes" when you turn on the light. So we did not use that bedroom as I didn't want my children using that switch. There was also something stuffed into one of the plug sockets.

The house was freezing due to the large gap under the front door. The back door & kitchen window do not close properly so there is also a gap in both of them. We had to go & buy fire logs to light a fire as the heaters did not heat the house. The wooden floor is badly fitted with large gaps between the planks & they move. One of my children could easily have caught their toes in the gaps.

There are bugs everywhere in the house, I had to get my husband to remove a lot of millipedes from all over the house. But every time we came back into the house there were more there. There were also a lot of large spiders & even a slug. One of the windows has many many years of spider webs on the inside with no attempt being made at any stage to clear them. Every light fitting has dead bugs inside them. I was astonished to see there was lots of graffiti on the wall & ceiling of the upstairs bedroom. This included curses that my 5 year old girls were trying to read.

We left for the day on Tuesday & returned early evening for a swim & the children's show in the cove. When we went into the pool I was disgusted to see the floor was covered in ants I even saw some dead ants in the pool so I got the children out of there immediately. As I was leaving I advised the lady on duty that there were ants everywhere. Clearly they are not cleaning it properly nor using chlorine. We then went into the cove for the Angelina Ballerina show. The rubber carpet trim between the carpet & dance floor is lifted & can't be seen in the dark so my son fell over it twice. As we were leaving I saw your fast food restaurant so I decided to get the children garlic cheese chips as a treat for their dinner. We brought them back to the house but the children couldn't even eat them as it was not garlic sauce at all. As it was lashing rain I did not bring them back but threw them in the bin. My son & daughters later complained of a pain in their tummies.

On Wednesday I brought the children to The Cove for Florrie's wake up call. When there I was astounded at the complete filth of the carpet that the Teamstars were telling the children to sit on. My childrens leggings were filthy from just sitting on it. There are also lots of rust stains on it from leaks in the rusty roof. It's a health hazard. My husband went into the slot machines & he tried to play two games. Both did not work & didn't return his money. He couldn't see anyone on duty there so he just left. We then decided to bring them into Florrie's den, after no more than 5 minutes in there, their socks were filthy & black on the soles. I was disturbed to see the slide had stains on it that can only be described as blood, so again I got the children out of there.
I decided to complain to the fast food manager about the so called garlic sauce. It took three people to eventually get me a manager & when she came out she advised me that it was not garlic sauce but they were getting a new supplier. I find it incredulous that they would sell something that you know is not what they advertised. I got a refund & was told not to buy them for the rest of the week as it would still be the substitute sauce. At this stage I had enough so I went to reception to complain & had to meet Martina in Starbucks.

I listed my complaints to Martina, who agreed that she would be disgusted if she was in my position. I advised her that I just wanted to go home as I was so disappointed with the state of the holiday village. I actually wanted to cry. We had stayed twice in 2010 & while friends that were also staying hated it, we found it very basic but the children don't see that, they just see the fun side. So the only family holiday we would be having this year we decided to book Trabolgan.
We couldn't have been more wrong to choose Trabolgan as it simply was not a holiday more of a nightmare. Martina asked me not to leave that she would get me a new kettle & microwave immediately & would revert to me later that evening. My husband brought the children back in to the pool to get a swim thinking that the ants would have been cleaned. I went to the seating area with my baby & as I sat down the ants were crawling all over the handrail. I again alerted a member of staff who seemed shocked to hear about the ants. He got another staff member to clean them away. I couldn't believe my eyes as he "cleaned" the ants. He did so by swatting them off the rail & wall into the pool area & spraying a small area & wiping it with a cloth. Also the heat was unbearable, as soon as I walked in my glasses fogged up it was that hot. My son who only had on a baby grow & vest on was wet with sweat when we left 5 minutes later. Its a breeding ground for germs.

Martina met me back in the house later that day to check if we got the new kettle & microwave. I told her about the pool still being infested with ants & she said they were cleaning it. She was disturbed to learn of the way in which they were cleaning the ants & seemed more shocked at the fact he done it in full view of me. She again pleaded with me to stay & advised she would check back in the morning with vouchers for the children. I told her that we really didn't need vouchers just the holiday we paid for. She told me that a refund was "not going to happen".

Martina called back on Thursday morning with an insulting €10 worth of vouchers for the children, which were returned to her. She eventually offered to change our house on the last day knowing full well that I would refuse as I have 4 little ones under 5 years old. I told her that if we packed up we would just be going home. Again she pleaded with us to stay for the childrens sake. She advised that if we booked again she could offer a discount!!! We decided again to leave Trabolgan for the day, returning late Thursday evening. As the only reason for staying at that stage was for the children to see the short show in the evenings.

At check out I again asked for a refund stating that I have photographs of all of my complaints, Martina said she would get her colleague to "deal" with me. I had to ask the name of her colleague, as she did not tell me who would be coming to see me. Sheila the most unprofessional woman came out to me with no introduction asking what I wanted. She proceeded to sit down with out asking me to do so. So I just sat. Martina stood over us both. I was asked "what do you want?". The customer service was an utter disgrace. Sheila advised me that I simply would not be getting a refund as I had stayed. I knew at that stage it was not worth even proceeding with the conversation as the situation was engineered so that it would me my fault for staying. Even though I had done everything as per their terms & conditions & complained appropriately.

Sheila then told me that I would have to put my complaint in writing, I asked to whom I needed to address it? She told me Donal O'Sullivan. I asked for the name & address in writing & she simply told me no. I later learned that it's in your brochure. I am flabbergasted at the complete lack of customer service. They make it as difficult as possible to make a complaint especially with the "brick wall" that Sheila erects when you try to talk to her. I refused to be cowed to her & continued with my complaint. Also the fact that you must print out a letter & send it via post in the hopes that people will not bother.

I sent all of the above in a letter to Trabolgan & eventually received a letter full of legal jargon that didn't even make sense. Clearly punctuation is not a strong point as one sentence was a complete paragraph. They did include a cheque for half of the holiday cost. Please see pictures attached as they reflect the true Trabolgan Holiday Village.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
52  Thank purple_swb
There are newer reviews for Trabolgan Holiday Village

Reviewed 12 May 2012

Just returned from Trabolgan. Firstly our luck was against us with the weather, it pretty much rained the whole 3 days we were there. So outdoor activities were out for the most part. My 3 year old got to go on the little motorized bikes on one of the days which he loved (€2 a go). And they have bouncy castles and an indoor climbing gym in the activity centre. The shows were very well done, there was a very good puppet show which my 3 year old was afraid of but my 17 month old loved. They also had a fireman sam show, bob the builder, Barney which were very enjoyable for the children. They also had arts and crafts etc. Definitely the 3 days were more than enough for us with the bad weather (we were all ready to leave!), I think we probably would have had a much more enjoyable time had we been able to get the kids outside more. We think next time we go we will stay elsewhere and just go for one or two day trips and travel around the area a little. That part of the country is beautiful and its a long trip for us just to go to here.
we did notice a slightly damp smell in the apartment upon entering but I think we must have just gotten used to it cos we didnt notice it after a short time. They are old but absolutely spotless. My only quiff about the apartment was that we werent able to take showers the whole time we stayed because of no hot water. We did call and get someone to come look at it but he said to just reset it, the trouble being that we reset it and reset it and reset it, it just kept shutting itself off again. Eventually we went over to the pool to shower in the private showers. Another thing I would say is that there is very little soundproofing in the apartments so go for a house if you can. I could tell you full conversations our neighbours downstairs had at 1am every single night. I will add tips to this review because there are a few things that are handy to know if you are planning a trip here.

Room Tip: Thing to bring that they dont provide: Towels Tea towels, dish sponges etc hand soap Toilet pa...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank FabMammy
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I used to go with the kids only for the day. The pool with the waves got only one slide, and the lads watching blew the wistle bugging me several times. Like if i am a kid at 42.. I couldn't go over the line with my kid olding him on my chest..what an exageration. Plus the all pool area, especialy the changing rooms were very dirty. I got Warts under my feet after the last visit! The rides and the rest of the activity are 7€ each for 2 minute.. rip off.

• Stayed: July 2011
6  Thank Marcelloromanista
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Hi,

We (2 Adults and three young boys) spent the May bank holiday at Trabolgan and had a super time. This venue had it all for young boys with go karts, swimming, rock climbing, zip wire, water walking, football, snakes and birds of prey.

It was all action from morning til late. The food was great but all the lads wanted was pizza and burgers!!!

We did not try the quad bikes because I would not trust the boys not to do damage but that aside we had a good go.

Room Tip: We also did the Pottery Painting. With three boys I did not think they would be into it but they re...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Colm O
Reviewed 30 April 2012

just back from trabolgan a few hours and have 2say it was best wknd me and my family have ever had i cant say enough about the staff and entertainment was all amazing!!!!my 3yr old was dancin in the disco al evening after a fun filled day the house we rented forest oaks was perfect had everythin we needed we visited the bird sanctuary brill!the swimming pool was great fun with the waves my daughter cried all the way home we will def be booking to go bck soon thanx 2every 1 at trabolgan for a fab wknd:)

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Mary G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trabolgan
7.2 km away
Midleton Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Midleton
10.9 km away
Carrigaline Court Hotel & Leisure Centre

Been to Trabolgan Holiday Village? Share your experiences!