“Average Hotel”

Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Chicago, Illinois
“Average Hotel”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I went to this hotel for a family vacation from January 1 to January 8, 2012. The hotel is well located and it is a huge resort complex.

You can basically go to this resort and you do not have to go someplace out during the vacations since there are a lot of restaurants, they have their own grocery store and a lot of entertainment.

The rooms are fine although they look old and the furniture is outdated but the rooms are clean and spacious. The hotel is well maintained.

We went to several restaurants during that week but I would say that my favorite was the buffet breakfast. They had a lot of different selection and you basically can spend a good amount of time in such a great restaurant. I enjoyed a lot with my family.

During the day, we basically spent the time at the beach. It is a good clean beach and very relaxed. There are a lot of chairs and umbrellas so you do not have to wake up early to have a place.

We were having an excellent time there, but the last two days, there were something wrong with the water and the hotel run out of it and the response from the manager was not the one that we expected. They did not apologize and the solution that they gave us was to use the gym facilities to take our shower.

Overall, it was a good trip, however we had that incident and we understand that this could happen, but we expected to have a better response from the management.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Cumberland, Rhode Island
Reviewed 10 February 2012

They are not very good at accomodating guest's wishes, like floor level, bed type, ocean view, etc. I went 1 week before to make sure that I would get my desired ocean view & was promised it. The man even gave it to me in writing & signed it. Of course, when we checked in we didn't get it & when asked, the same man denied that it was his signature. He said he would have to ask his boss. I promised my wife that I would ask every day for a room change (we were there 2 weeks), which I did. The construction going on outside our room, all night, was unbearable. Finally at the end of the first week, I got a sympathetic clerk who got the supervisor (yep, the same man that denied he spoke to me & gave his signature) to OK the room change. If you want to be lied to, this is the place to go. We explained this to the time-share people who bugged us every day, & told them not to waste their time, or money, on us.
If the Mayan Palace reads this & wants to improve upon customer service, maybe they could be more flexible at the front desk. Since Mayan Palace caters to Americans & Canadiens, maybe they could give some professional development to their employees on telling the truth to customers, no matter how bad it is. The Americans & Canadiens that I know place a premium on the truth.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank ted36
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Got the week at Mayan Palace at a price that couldnt be passed up so at that price I cant really complain(too much). The grounds are beautiful but I probably would not go back to MP unless it was actually free. The unit itself was oddly equipped and came only with a little dish soap, a few coffee filters and the usual toiletries. We forgot paper towels on our grocery list and they were $4.50 (US) a roll at the store in the MP lobby and a pint of coffee creamer at the Sun Market by the Sea Garden was also $4.50 so make a shopping list for big shopping and dont forget anything on it! The only pools available to the MP guest were the Mayan Palace and The Sea Garden (which they dont offer shuttles to). You have to take the shuttle to the Grand Mayan and walk or take a cab or a bus. It's not far but didnt seem worth our efforts. No hottub at either hotel that we could use. We only ate out once at the very over priced meal at the pool restaurant our first night and cooked in the rest of the week. Internet was $17.00 a day but were were able to get the occassional signal by the the pool for free long enough for a few mintues a time or 2. The grounds are lush and there are turtles and iguanas always at the lagoon. We even saw a raccoon in the bushes one night. We didnt spring for the Beach Party on Monday or the Fiesta on Thursdays but watched from the beach and were really glad we didnt pay to get in. They looked pretty dull compared to many shows I have seen in Mexico. They have signs about beware of crocodiles on the grounds but didnt see any there but we did see one that was about 8'(?) in the canal at the bus stop outside of the Grand Mayan entrance. Pretty cool to see a critter that large in the wild and free in such an "urban" place. The complex is fairly remote and I felt a little trapped not being able to actually reach the main road without 1,2 or 3 shuttle rides to catch the public bus or a long long walk or the cost of a taxi to the main road. However once you do get to the entrance of the sister hotel Grand Mayan the bus is right there and is an easy in and out from the resort.
The cab fare from MP to Walmart Nuevo which is the closest for major grocery shopping is 60 pesos going and 70 pesos returning. The bus fare from either the front of Grand Mayan or Sea Gardens to the Liverpool Mall / Walmart Marina is 13 pesos each way and is a pretty quick ride. We used the bus twice to go to and from the casino at Liverpool which was clean, friendly and fun.
We booked the Mariettas Eco / Whale watching tour with Vallarta-Adventures and I would recommend this company to everyone.We took the hotel shuttle from MP to GM entrance and it was a 20-25 minute walk (which we did in the dark at 7:00am and an afternoon tipsy post cocktail return walk).They had a full on cold breakfast of rolls, muffins, cereal, cheeses, fruits, coffee and jucies. A very nice spread to fill anyones tummy. The tour was a blast in every way and we saw probably 15 whales. After snorkle / kayak / beach time the lunch of coldcuts, cheese, sandwiches, pasta salad and fruit was delicous and the sodas, beers and cocktails they served never ended until arriving back at the dock. Every thing about the trip was perfect and fun and more than worth every single penny we paid. I highly recommend this company. Thats about it for our week at Nuevo so the last info I can offer here is the cab fare from MP to our next hotel The Hotel Encino in old town PV was 190 pesos. Next time I visit the Vallarta area I will definately stay in PV rather than NV. Staying at that resort area really felt like I could be at any resort area in the US and thats not what I traveled to Mexico for......

3 Thank mazatlanbound
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Our fourth trip to this property and we still love it. We were able to rent an accomodation at the Grand Mayan and have access to the Luxxe pools. Lovely services and beautiful views of the ocean while you relax near the pools. But, be prepared to walk - a lot! We love the spread out spacious property, but older travellers like my mother who accompanied us, did not enjoy this at all. There are shuttles, but there are still great distances to walk in between stops and restaurants. Food is $$$ but delicious. Worth every penny! Tromonto is the best! Italian food and great service.

1 Thank ottravel5
Terrebonne, Oregon
Reviewed 31 January 2012

My husband and I took our 2 son's and 2 of their friends. The location of the property is not far from the airport. so we had rented a car for getting back and forth since we had other friends coming in a few days later.
The checking was simple, no troubles. Their rooms were clean and spacious making it comfortable for all of us. What we found out was when we booked this property to arrive in May that is when they are beginning to go into "winter mode" and started to shut down restaurants and the water park for maintenance.
Their is plenty to do on the property, water sports, slides and restaurants, as long as you go when it isn't toward the end of May .As with so many resorts they're food and drinks are ok but over priced. And the typical bothering of you to go to a timeshare sale. Annoying.
Suggestion to drive to Sayulita and have margarita's on the beach. Drive to Puerto Vallarta for their evening shows on the boardwalk.
There is much to do arount the area, if you have a rental car you can venture out and go beyond the resort and check it out.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family