4,751 results
All reviewsla pergolacasa bellamarival resorttime shareclub sectionsnack bara la carte restaurantsquiet poolkids poolmai taikids clubmake reservationsanimation staffitalian restaurantboogie boardingbedroom suitedinner reservations
Reviewed 24 June 2017

If i could give this hotel 0 stars I would! Where do I even begin?
I have been to Mexico several times! Have had wonderful experiences each time. I want to make that clear before I go into my review. Never have I EVER had a complaint at any other location in any of my visits to Mexico before.

TERRIBLE SERVICE, TERRIBLE FOOD, TERRIBLE ALCOHOL SELECTION, NOTHING SPECIAL, NOT REALLY FREE WIFI

1) Their english is terrible, trying to communicate was very difficult. This is the front desk I'm referring to. Everywhere else I could definitely manage just fine with the language barrier. We requested when booking a garden floor because we were traveling with an infant. Our room was on the top floor took them 3 days to finally agree to change it.

2) Immediately after check in you are escorted to a time share sales person were you have to repeatedly tell them you are not interested. Its not the 1st thing you want to be doing after a long day of traveling.

3) The hotel is nothing special, no wow factor. Its like going to a motel thats beach front. There is just absolutely nothing special or beautiful about it.

4) Following checking to our room. We changed to head to the beach. It is not raked or cleaned , AT ALL. The beach chairs were broken covered in sand and misc.

5) The pool area isn't bad, but nothing stands out. There is no service/waiters to bring any food or drinks. There is a swim up bar.

6) The ALCOHOL is HORRIFIC the selection is absolutely terrible. Its not even well drink quality. There a very few options of what they have and can make. I have never experienced this at an all inclusive resort.

7) The buffet. NO, just no.The meat was grey!!!!!! Myself nor anyone in the group I was traveling with felt anything even looked eatable. While discussing our options if we should move hotels or try and complain a friend of the group started crying and was able to grab the attention of an individual in charge they were able to get us a table at one if the restaurants which was definitely better but not great. The overall quality of the food is just not good. We were told at check in during our time share sales talk we were allowed 3 dinner reservations out of the 7 nights we were there.

8) The hotel says they offer free wifi, which is true. but only in the club areas lobby.

9) I hired a photographer before we left the states to take family photos. When she arrived they wouldn't let her in because they have a photographer on site (whom I chose not to use after reading reviews) They said in order for them to let her in i would have to pay the on site photographer 300 us dollars. We were able to arrange with the photographer a meeting spot on the beach since it is public.

The overall experience at this hotel was truly terrible. I could honestly continue sharing negative experiences throughout my stay but I feel like I covered the most important. Never in my life have I wrote a review before. I really hope that after reading my review you are encouraged to look into another resort for spending your hard earned vacation time.

Room Tip: There is really not a good room don't stay here
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Jennifer V
Daphne_Fernande5, Director General at Marival Resort & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2017

Dear Jennfier
Thank you for choosing us for your vacations. Our staff works hard to create memorable vacations for our guests and they will be glad to read your review.
We are sorry to read you didn't fully enjoyed our resort. We have read your comments carefully and we will consider each and every one of them. We would like to clarify yu points.
We are sorry to hear, you had problems communicating, a bilingual staff has always been a priority and we will investigate sin this matter. We are sorry you felt pressured by our sales staff and we will review our Vacation Club processes to ensure that we don't upset our costumers during the sales approach, please remember, that they main focus is to inform you in all the inclusions on your package and invite to the presentation.
As mentioned we do not have waiter service at the pool or bars, this is not part of the all inclusive package, nor is it mentioned anywhere, we are soy for the inconveniences this may have cause you.
As for our Food & Beverage, we have been acknowledged with the "Distinctive H", which means the authorities have certified our procedures and higiene management of food and drinks. Assuring al l of them are of a high quality and safe to consume. All of our food is fresh and our bars offer national and premium options.
Wi-Fi is advertised as free in the lobby as mentioned, we have several packages for one or two devices in all the hotel for specific prices, which can be acquired at the front desk.
As you commented, any external supplier must pay a fee in order to offer a service inside our hotel. We are sorry this may have inconvenience you, we would have been glad to inform you n advance, so you could decide on the best way to proceed.
Thank you again for sharing your experience and for bringing this matter to our attention.

Reviewed 23 June 2017

After 4 years of not being able to travel, due to a medical reasons, we were finally able to return back to Mexico and back to the Marival Resort.

This visit could not have been more perfect. This would be our 7th visit back to this resort, and they did not disappoint.

Our room was an amazing ocean view on the top floor (19th). The only disadvantage was that it was a two double bed room, which was a little bit squishy for two people in a bed. Not a major problem. There was a 2 cup coffee machine in our room and a safety deposit box.

The food again, was fantastic. We ate breakfast at the Pergola and then switched to the buffet, which in previous visits, avoided. The buffet was so good, that not only did we eat the rest of our breakfasts' there, we also decided to give it a try for our dinners. Dinners at the buffet did not disappoint, but the meals at the Almafi and Pergola were incredible, as in past years. Our least favorite restaurant was the Mexican and the La Bamba. The Mexican restaurant, I would say has gotten worse, since our last visit. The menu has been drastically reduced to a very limited selection. But they make the most amazing flaming coffee drinks. The La Bamba, is their attempt at a Brazilian restaurant, but the meats all tasted the same and the onion rings were really soggy. The 3 sides were quite pathetic.
Although the food differed at the different restaurants, the service was pretty much outstanding at all the restaurants. Smiles were pretty much on the faces of all the staff we encountered.

There were themed nights for every dinner at the buffet, but on Mexican night, they were set up outside in the main courtyard, with food stations set up around the perimeter. There was a huge selection of food and it was really good and plentiful.

Nightly shows are put on by the entertainment team, on most evenings. Fun to watch. On one of the evenings, they had a Las Vegas show, which was spectacular. They had 3 special guests, which performed acrobatic acts very much like the Cirque du Soleil shows in Las Vegas. I am assuming that since they were visiting guest, that this may have been a one of.

We went at the beginning of June, which we found to be the perfect time for us. All the restaurants were still open, and there was never a lineup or crowds. We were able to find a palapa, every morning without any problems and without having to get up early to secure one.

You are allowed to connect two devices for wifi access per room. This allowed access in pretty much all areas of the resort. However, there is a general open wifi access in the lobby in the Club side of the resort.

Hubby got up at 7:00 every morning to go for a bike ride, while us girls got ready and met up for breakfast later. The bikes are single speed cruisers, but served its purpose. There is now a bike lane, built in the middle section of the road, which was very nice being able to ride between palm trees. Flat and easy ride. Apparently you can leave your bikes around, without fear of them being stolen, but we didn't try it.

Took the bus into downtown Puerto Vallarta. It was really inexpensive, 17 pesos for a direct bus to the Malecon. Just walked along the Malecon, poked our heads into a lot of the shops in the area and ate at Rico McTacos (brought back many memories, of when we ate there as young adults, on our big and first adventure to Mexico).

We walked along the beach to Bucerias. Long walk(a hour & half), but very enjoyable. This time, we found the vendors at the flea market to be very friendly and pleasant to deal with. In past, we found some of them to be quite rude. Maybe it was because we had previously gone during the high season. T-shirts were some of the items which were less expensive in downtown Puerto, so we wished that we had purchased them then. But then 100 pesos for 5 T-shirts, is still incredibly inexpensive. I negotiated and used Canadian funds on some of my purchases.
If you are planning to purchase Kahlua, buy it in downtown Puerto, as it is less expensive there than at the airport duty free. Took a taxi back to the resort. Negotiate the price before getting into the taxi and you don't need to add in any extra for a tip. It costed us 130 pesos to go from Bucerias back to the resort.

One night, my girlfriend and I decided to go to the casino, which is near Paradise Village. We took a taxi, which costed 30 pesos going, but costed 40 pesos for the return trip. At the casino, you have to "purchase" a card, which you load monies in, but you get the monies paid for the card refunded when you cash out. Be careful of the amount of monies you load onto the card, because you are taxed on all the monies, when you cash out, regardless of whether or not it was winnings.
I found the machines difficult to cash out on and also blew all my winnings on a machine which was 30 lines at 25 pesos per line. I guess I should have paid attention to what I was doing. But would have been good, had I won.

Our pesos were purchased using an ATM located near Paradise Village. We got a pretty good rate and it just costed $3.00 CDN in service fees. If you do use an ATM, make sure that it is one located with a bank to avoid surprise service charges.

Absolutely no problems with any timeshare people, actually they were pretty much non existent while we were there.

Wonderful week and am so looking forward to returning! Absolutely love this resort.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mary W
Daphne_Fernande5, Director General at Marival Resort & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2017

Dear Mary,
Fist of all, we are happy to read that you are healthy again. Our repeat guest are very important and we surely missed you.
We are happy to read that you had such a great time with us and enjoyed the view of oru beautiful Bay. We appreciate your feedback.
Thank you for writing about your experience with thousands of traveler and for choosing Marival Resort & Suites for your vacations again.
Thank you for your recommendation and we would, absolutely, be thrilled to see you soon again.

Reviewed 23 June 2017

Overall, my stay at Marival Resort & Suites was very positive. My mom and I stayed at Marival for a week in mid June 2017. We arrived with a bus of other people who had taken the same flight as us but the check-in process was still very quick. We were then taken to the lobby bar and offered drinks, while Carlos explained the all inclusive resort to us and answered our questions.

We had asked for a room in the grand section of the hotel with two double beds, which we were given. Our room also had a pool/beach view from the balcony which was a nice added bonus. The room was clean, spacious, and comfortable. It is a bit strange that the bathroom doesn't have a separate door; there is only a door separating the toilet and shower from the rest of the bathroom. But we got used to this after a week. The shower was one of the best I have experienced in a hotel. The room staff kept the room very clean, however some nights the turn-down service didn't arrive until after 10.

The resort itself was also very clean and there always seemed to be someone walking around tidying up. There is four pools at the resort: an activity pool, an adult-only quiet pool, a kids pool, and another pool. The pools were never too busy but none of the adult pools seemed to have a shallow section. Finding seats around the pool could be difficult as they filled up quickly but it was always easy to find seats on the beach. There were also activities organized throughout the day such as yoga, water exercises, trivia, and water volleyball. I didn't participate in any of them but they were fun to watch. My mom participated in the water exercises and really enjoyed it. The instructors also made sure to ask her if she understood everything at the end as they had given instructions in Spanish but she only speaks English, which I thought was very nice. There are also shows at the resort every night which I really enjoyed. Tuesday night there is a Mexican Fiesta which includes food and a show. Thursday there is a Beach Party which includes some food and a DJ on the beach.

I was also pleased with the food at the resort. I would recommend making as many reservations as possible on the Marival website a week before your visit to make sure you have the reservations you want and then talking to the person at the reservation desk as soon as you can once you get to the resort to make the rest of your reservations. Dalia helped my mom and I make our reservations at the resort and she was very helpful and efficient. We tried all four al a carte resturants and enjoyed all of them, though Las Palomas (Mexican) and Amalfi (Italian) were our favorites. Luigi at Resturante Amalfi was very helpful and friendly, which added to the experience. La Pergola has an excellent breakfast menu.

The best part of the resort was the people who work there. Almost everyone was so friendly and ready to help us. The staff also made a very good effort to remember us and ask for updates on things we had told them earlier. Particularly, the concierge Carlos was amazing. He helped my mom out on the first day we were there and every other time he saw us at the resort would great us and ask how things were. He was just so friendly and happy.

Marival was a great resort and my mother and I would both consider returning.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family

Dear guest,
Thank you for writing about your experience with thousands of traveler and for choosing Marival Resort & Suites for your vacations.
We are delighted to read you enjoyed your time with us and amazing service. Our staff will be thrilled to read your review. We appreciate your feedback.
Thank you for your recommendation and we hope to have the honor of hosting you again.

Reviewed 22 June 2017 via mobile

Before you get to your hotel make sure your reservation spells out everything you paid for. People st the front desk pass on blame to any one else, plus fail to accommodate you even when you've proven your point. We paid for a suite with frontal ocean views, they didn't provide that and were not even interested in speaking with Expedia. Also, watch out by hungry time share sales which want to force you to buy their stuff. After you check in, the front desk immediately sends you to a sales agent where they want you to sign up for a time share presentation. They ask you for a deposit in case you don't show up to the presentation. I of course didn't give any money and the sales person got upset, was rude and condescendent.

If you can get passed that, all other is okay... Not great!

Service people: they are awesome, they are helpful and kind. Except - Front desk and timeshare sales.

Food: there are several restaurants around. You have to make reservations to attend some, like the Brazilian, Italian and Mexican restaurants. There is a buffet style restaurant and a pizza place. Food is not great! Some nights they have good food, like the Mexican Night which they celebrate Tuesday next to the swimming pools. The Asian food in the buffet is also good. breakfast foods are horrible!

Shows: most are mediocre, not the best shows.....

Getting to your hotel from the airport. The airport shuttles are very expensive. If you don't mind walking 1/2 block on the other side of the bridge, you can ride a Yellow taxi for about 200.00 pesos to almost any destination. At the airport they will attempt to charge as much as they can get from you in dollars. $75-125 Ignore all people on your way out of the airport- they are pushy, overly pushy!

Recreation - I met this guy Arnold - decent, honest and affordable. We did the snorkeling, trip to cascade, and private beach stop for very little, also the zip line activity for 1/2 the price what others charge. Contact me for his information if Interested.

That woman in the picture is so rude and pushy... avoid her if you want to have a nice time in puerto Vallarta. While she was speaking to us, she was on the phone texting, and taking down to us. That's what they do! Just say No - as a hook they will offer an activity like a trip somewhere.... it is not worth your time - they keep you there for about 4 hours.... you already paid lots to give your time away for 4 tickets on a boat to go snorkeling.

If you want a better experience read my other post about Barcelo, much better hotel, food and service... No sales pitch there.

Good luck!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Joe S
Daphne_Fernande5, Director General at Marival Resort & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2017

Dear Joe,
Thank you very much for taking your time to share with us your review on TripAdvisor.
We are sorry to read that you experienced some inconveniences during your recent stay with us. Our Vacation Club staff approach our guests at arrival to inform the of all the included services and amenities so they can enjoy their vacations fully. We want you to feel comfortable and at home, so we will be revising our Time Share processes to ensure that we don't upset our costumers during the sales approach.
We would also like to mention that our friendly service is our priority and your comments regarding our Front Desk will be thoroughly investigated.
You feedback is very important for us and it helps us improve continuously. We will consider all of your comments to provide you the best service during your next visit at our resort.
We will consider all of your comments to provide you the best service during your next visit at our resort. We would be glad to receive you in this your home away from home so you can have the chance to experience the vacation of your life and appreciate the changes.

Reviewed 21 June 2017

We came here for a family vacation and found it very friendly, clean and well appointed. The beaches were great for the kids and there plenty of activities to keep everyone happy. Karina our concierge did a great job of making our reservations and taking care of anything we needed. A solid 4 star resort with better than average food for an all inclusive. We would go back.

Room Tip: Great Beach
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Daphne_Fernande5, Director General at Marival Resort & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2017

Dear Rob
We would like to thank you for choosing Marival Resort & Suites for your family vacations.
We are thrilled to read you had a wonderful time with us. We try to make a memorable experience for every guests and appreciate your feedback. We will consider you comments regarding the food, as we want very detail of your vacations to be perfect.
Thank you for sharing your experience. We would love to welcome you back too.