Barcelo Maya Palace(Puerto Aventuras)
US$422
US$360
Bookit.com
US$397
US$368
Official Site
Barcelo Maya Beach(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$293
  • Pool
Barcelo Maya Tropical(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$322
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Caribe(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$330
  • Beachfront
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$213
US$197
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Aventuras Club(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$278
US$140
Catalonia Riviera Maya(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$225
US$155
Priceline
US$366
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
7,233 results
All reviewsjalisco buildingseafooda la carte restaurantsmini golfair transatother resortsplaya del carmenjapanese restaurantgreat resortbowling alleytropical poolpalm treeskids water parkbarcelo mayakids clubhuge resortfamily vacation
Reviewed 5 April 2018

We traveled from Feb 22-March 3rd. We go to MX every year so we have a set of expectations that are not unrealistic for Mexico Resorts. We landed around 4p in the cancun airport (be warned.. customs at this time of day can easily take an hr.. if you have small kids.. plan for this- use the restroom before hopping in that long line- take lots of snacks) After getting through customs, we had transportation arranged by Cancun Valet- they are always ALWAYS awesome. Private transfers are worth the money. It's an hr ride.. plus 10 mins or so to Barcelo. We were booked in the Colonial section, but they bumped us over one to the next set of buildings btwn colonial and Palace- totally fine.. it's the same thing. Room was clean, not a lot of storage for 4 peoples belongs so we made due with what we had. It was a great location- not far from the kids pools a short walk to the buffet... the property is HUGE.. so you can either walk or take the res double decker shuttle (we only used it in the evening after dinner.. we needed the exercise..haha.
Food: food was very good.. The japanese restaurant was FANTASTIC. we went twice! My son is Gluten free and they were fantastic about adhering to protocol. The Mexican restaurant... was good.. but not our thing. We did a lot of buffet and were never hungry.
Alcohol and bars: I found the mixed drinks to be disgusting. They used the soda "gun" for the liquid for daquiris and margaritas.. overly sweet and artificial tasting. Not impressed with that aspect at all. Top shelf stuff costs more or you have to be from the Palace to get it for free.
The grounds were spotless.. there was a LOT of seaweed near the beach. that doesn't bother me- it is what it is.. but you need to have realistic expectations. the water was wonderful- but there are some big rocks in the ocean that hurt like crazy if you stumble over them.
The pools were flawless. they went on forever. The kiddie pool was great! my kids 11 and 5 loved it! we didn't do the waterpark- its on the other side of the resort.. andmy kids were content with the free one. The snack bars were good.. they had the same stuff with a few variations each day. The roast chicken is probably the most delicious thing they serve.. The chicken wings are good too!
The beds in the room were hard as rocks- it was the ONLY thing I that made my stay uncomfortable. Aside from that- We loved Barcelo. We enjoyed going out to the dock each day and feeding the fish. The kids loved it and everyone went home happy, fat and tan..

Room Tip: anything "close to the beach" is within easy walking distance to food and beach. the layout is well done.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank theresa7576
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Dear Theresa7576:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us.
I appreciate your positive notes about the Hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the services that we offer.
I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Every two years Life Quality Project holds an international convention and this is the 6th time we´ve hold it in Barceló Maya Colonial and Tropical.

In general, the hotel staff is very friendly and willing to help which makes everything running.

The greatest improvement we've noticed is in the food area, specially in the attention received in our group dinners, both in quality as well as in quantity. It was clear that the responsible for this improvement is Mr Alejandro Valderrama. He took good care of our group, and he enhances the service of the hotel overall, with attention to detail and service orientation, doing everything in his reach so we have an outstanding experience.

You could also see this in the buffet for breakfast as well as lunch. He makes the difference in the service we received, so big thanks to him and his team.

Also, I'd like to mention the attention of Mr Daniel Tello from the Convention Center. He was extremely attentive and dedicated to our needs, always willing to go the extra mile for customer service. Congratulations for his work and that of his team.

Last but not least, being a group we had the opportunity to work with Nancy Delgado and Gustavo, from Groups Service. I am pleased that there has been a significant improvement from our past experiences. Both Nancy and Gustavo were a paramount link between our needs and the hotel operations. We hope to work again together in the future.

On the other hand, and having been there once every two years for the last 12 years, we have noticed that the hotel is lagging in room maintenance and improvement. Doors might not work, mini bars are outdated and might not work as well, and even the windows need some refreshment. We had several problems with safes not opening and rooms not being taken care of. Response time ranged from 2 to up to 12 hours... ridiculous!! I feel the problem is in hotel (Colonial and Tropical) top/middle management, and the coordination with floor operations. We were all left with the impression that rooms operations need some serious attention.

Overall the feeling is good and we look forward to coming back in two years.

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank vrieslqp
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

Dear Vrieslqp:

In Barceló we strongly believe that there is always room for improvement and your comments will assist our team in their continuous efforts aimed at meeting our guests' expectations, therefore we greatly appreciate the time you took out of your day to share your constructive critics
The service flaw that you mentioned was shared with our staff involved be sure that all the measure will be taken in order to correct each of the them.
Despite of this incident we are glad that you could enjoy some other aspects of your stay with us.
We will be honored if you decide to visit us again, and I can guarantee we can meet your expectations not only about the property but the Customer Service too.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

We just returned from a wonderful vacation at the Barcelo Maya Colonial. It has to be one of the cleanest resorts we have ever traveled to. We traveled with our two boys age 11 &12.

The resort property is enormous and divided into 5 smaller hotel sections. Colonial in my opinion is the nicest and really makes you feel like you are away from home.

Rooms are beautiful, however the beds are way to small for a family of four and the only reason why I gave the resort a rating of 4 out of 5. The largest beds you can get is doubles, plus a sofa bed which only turns into a single.

Food is very good, the a la Cartes are good, but know the waiters will try to push you to upgrade your wine for extra $$$. The A la Carte meals, are very North Americanized, some are in the resort mall and some you travel to the other properties, takes away that vacation feel.

Pools are huge and cold, the beach can tend to be EXTREMELY ROCKY! Bring water shoes.

For families: please know not everything is included: FLO RYDER / Pirates Water park and bowling alley all extra $$$

Our family is used to smaller resorts not used to larger busy resorts. Kids loved it, and made many friends. I would recommend it to families, as there is lots to do.

Room Tip: upgrade to larger suite for families, middle section of hotel would be best.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family

Dear Aimlo:

Reviewed 4 April 2018

With the help of Selza, Cesar, Daniel, Danny, Nashelly, Aldair, Cinthia, Tony, Oscar and Adrian (DJ) my Karaoke night proposal to my new Fiance was amazing!! This crew made such a memorable time and ensured that everything was smooth, including the build up to announcing me on stage. I am so grateful for this entertainment staff at the Barceló Colonial in Riviera Maya. Thank you soo much!!

Room Tip: Second and Third level are best to limit humidity but First floor have access to the outside and lawn chairs.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Dear Brian:

Is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your stay, also thank you for take your value time to share with us your experience, was an honor to have had the opportunity to serve you, we hope to receive you once again very soon.

Best Regards.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

I went for the Easter event of Life Quality Project that takes place every two years, we had a wonderful week! It is important to highlight the dedicated attention that Mr. Alejandro Valderrama offered us. Impeccable and always predisposed to make our stay and experience at the Barcelo hotel optimal. He really stood out in customer service, who took care to detail that we were well taken care of. Truly of excellence, we crossed paths with him repeatedly at different points of the hotel and we could see how he really tries to make everything work perfectly and always with a huge smile on his face, among us we said that he must have clones of himself to be on so many sides in such a short time haha
Rooms clean and comfortable, with beautiful views. Huge swimming pools, although in my case I preferred to enjoy the transparent waters of the Caribbean in the hotel's comfortable lounge chairs.
The spa is incredible! We also enjoyed the soccer field that was very nice and well maintained!
The buffet breakfasts were very good, there was variety for all tastes, and I liked that the menu of the nights was thematic and changed every day.
The Marenostrum restaurant really delicious! I tried the Galician octopus, the crepes and the salmon with black butter and everything was really delicious. The waiters, also led by Mr. Valderrama, were extremely kind and very neat in their work throughout our stay.
I would also like to highlight the excellent attention and professionalism of Mr. Daniel Tello, who also assisted us to make the event go perfectly.
Thank you for making our stay unforgettable and enjoyable!

Room Tip: The rooms near the theater are a bit noisy but nothing serious. The rooms on the third floor near the pool have more sunlight.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends

Dear Maria Victoria:

On behalf of our hotel, we would like to thank you for coming to Barcelo Maya Colonial hotel; we also want to thank you for your significant opinion which is very important for us to improve our services and products .
we glad you have a good time during your event in our hotel.
we hope to have the privilege and the honor to share with you again soon.