“Beware Theft of Personal Property”

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
CALGARY
“Beware Theft of Personal Property”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We had a camera, phone, cigarettes, clothing stolen while in lock up. Do not check out early. Everything was rifled through and the individual could have been identified. No response from the hotel. Several emails sent to no avail. Truly sad as we paid a premium for a 5* wedding.

I have travelled extensively and never been treated this lousy. 3.5* in Cuba way out performs this group of hotels.

Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank HEAVEN40
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 21 July 2016
Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for share with us your opinion in reference to your stay in our hotel, please receive our sincerely apologize if we caused you some discomfort, we are taking your comments with special consideration.
The service flaw that you mentioned was shared with our staff involved be sure that all the measure will be taken in order to correct each of the them.

Jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (729)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Northern BC
Reviewed 2 March 2012

My wife and I just got back from 2 weeks at the Colonial (last 2 weeks February 2012) and are trying to figure out how to get enough money to go back next year!

This was our first AI experience and were unsure what to expect but were very pleased.

Room (standard room 3rd floor in the Jalisco building away from the the theatre) was always well cleaned, never saw a bug of any sort. We had requested a 3rd floor room but only a ground floor room was available at check in. This was adjusted after one night and next day by noon a 3rd floor room was ready for us. We loved the balcony and sat there in the early mornings drinking coffee and listening to the many chattering birds.

Beds are hard (see other reviews) but we still slept!

You may have to hunt down one of the cleaning staff and request face-clothes.

The fridge was stocked every day. A tip and a note of what you liked ensured you got your favorites. I loved the lime-flavoured mixed nuts and the fellow doing the re-stocking made sure we had our fill.

The service in the buffet was hit & miss. Being new to this at first we thought we might be doing something wrong? We think the staff is simply too busy setting tables and cleaning-up that they don't have the time to wait on the guests? When not at the buffet during peak times, service was excellent. The coconut ice-cream is wonderful.

The buffet food was OK....not special but not bad.

Lots of fun watching Esau cook eggs at the breakfast buffet.

Beach was great. Always able to find 2 chairs. Snorkeled right out front around the reef near volley ball nets and by the dock. Plenty of fish to see. Go to Costco (or your favorite place to shop for snorkel gear) and buy your own snorkel gear and snorkel whenever you want. Yes, we did the towel game some mornings but could still find chairs if we didn't get out early. It was difficult getting a chair near the pool but by mid to late afternoon we would sometimes move from the beach to the pool and could find chairs. (some folks we talked to get up at 0600 to secure their pool chairs).

Took a Bubba-Keg and always had water and ice to drink.

Beach cleaners were always busy walking around and I swear they were always pleased to pick up your cup! So pleased it was embarrassing.

Tried 5 (Seafood, Mexican, Italian, Steak House, Japanese) Ala-Cartes enjoyed them all. Nice change from the buffet to be waited-on. I liked my lobster at the Mare Nostrum. Had no problem booking the dinners. We booked the first day we arrived. A couple of nights were early but I can't think of a reason to complain about that?

Grounds are beautiful and workers always doing something to keep this place spotless and stunning.

Took the colectivo to Playa Del Carmen twice, once to Tulum and once back from the Super Chedraui market 3km away in Puerto Adventuras. We walked along the highway into Puerto Adventuras and would not recommend this! It's not the distance its the traffic on a Mexican Highway......thus the colectivo back to the resort! You should try out the colectivo, price is great (30 Pesos) and the experience is fun.

Watched the Fireflies (no fireflies in Northern Canada) at night jet around the golf-course.

Shops were fun to walk through but pricey. Still festive at night with the lights and music.

Overall our experience was great. Staff friendly. Grounds beautuful and rooms clean.

Yep, we'd go back.

Room Tip: Enjoyed the 3rd floor and private balcony. Jalisco building is away from theatre and quieter at nigh...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NorthernBert
Dear Guest:

On behalf of our hotel, we would like to thank you for coming to Barcelo Maya Colonial hotel; we also want to thank you for your significant opinion which is very important for us to improve our services and products .

we glad you have a good time during your vacations in our hotel.

we hope to have the privilege and the honor to share with you again soon.

Reviewed 1 March 2012

Have been to mexico 22 times. First at Barcelo, and needless to say the LAST!! They need a big lesson on service and quality of service, and how to treat people.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Trendsettertraveler

Jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We were a little skeptical about having chosen this place for our vacation in October as the pictures online showed an outdated resort with a decent amount of amenities. All round we had a wonderful time!

LOCATION:
An hour plus bus ride from the airport, but with a few cervezas on the bus...time flies. You're close to Tulum for some ruins sightseeing, as well as 20 minutes away from Playa Del Carmen.

DECOR:
We stayed in a beautifully, updated room. The fridge was stocked each day with beer, soft drinks, etc. The decor was great not only in the room, but also the entire resort was furnished well.

POOLS:
Loved the pools and you're always a hop, skip and a jump away from any swim up bar. You never have to fight for a lounge chair or a hammock.

BEACH:
It's pretty...BUT the white sand is grainy (not powder like); the water isn't crystal clear. It didn't stop us from enjoying some beach time however and walking along the stretch.

ENTERTAINMENT:
It's cheesy. This is an all-inclusive, so are you really surprised? I've never been a fan of all the shows, but the seating and theatre are large in size and well equipped.

FOOD & DRINK:
There are only so many burritos and enchiladas a girl can eat. The food was ok. Flavour was missing from most meal (I thought the Mexican a la carte was hands down the best). Seafood place was fishy, but the dessert spectacle was good. The Japanese restaurant was your typical trip to Benihana. Drinks were strong, but not as delicious as they could have been.

This is a very family oriented resort, so if you're a couple looking for some peace, quiet and romance...you might want to venture down the coast to the Dreams resort instead, where it's adults only. All in all however, we had a great trip.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Belo M
Dear Becca:

I appreciate your positive notes about the Hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the services that we offer.
I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Best Regards,
jusman513@msn.com
Reviewed 25 February 2012

After hearing many good things about the Barcelo Maya Colonial, my wife and I decided to travel there for the first week of February. Our group was a group of 5, the inlaws and our 2 1/2 year old son.

When we first booked this trip we paid extra up front for the "prestige class". Apart from having beach towels in your room and a wider selection of drinks we are still trying to justify what we paid for in regards to the upgrade.

We landed in Mexico at 10:30am and got to the resort just before noon. Check in was fairly easy, and they gave us our bracelets right away. Unfortunately neither of us could get into our rooms until after 4:30pm, and that was only one room. For those of you travelling with young kids, after waking up at 2.00am in the morning to leave Toronto it makes for a really long day of travel for the young ones. We did pack bathing suits in our carry on bags so it wasn`t that bad, but after spending more than $3500.00 for the trip , I want my damn room ready with in an hour of when i arrive. The room we were given was also wrong. instead of having a king bed with the double showers, we had 2 twins and just a normal room, again not a huge deal but not what we were expecting. I have read reviews and talked to people that had booked their stay at the Maya Beach and were able to upgrade to the premium rooms at the colonial for a few hundred dollars. My wife and I found this very frustrating after paying upfront for what we thought to be the upgraded rooms.

The hotel itself was beautiful. Very clean inside and out. House keeping times were very inconsistent, sometimes they were there before lunch, after lunch or after dinner. Hard to plan times for the little guy to nap or have shower to get ready for dinner.

We booked our dinners at the ala cartes the day we arrived. You get your guaranteed reservations as long as you don`t mind eating at 10.00pm every night. We tried to get into the steak house for our 1st wedding anniversary and were told it was full. We checked back numerous times and there was no cancellations. That night we looked into the steak house around 7.30pm and it was lucky to be half full. The next day I tried to get in there again and was told the same story. After asking the concierge how much is it going to cost me to eat at the steak house with a $10.00 bill in my hand, one phone call was made and we had a reservation for 5 at 7.30pm. After eating there I wish i had my 10 bucks back. The Japanese restaurant was the best .

Overall the food was really good, not great. None of us are fussy eaters and no one had any issues with sickness or anything else.

The staff at the buffet and the grill really made our trip. We were sat in the same section everyday and had the same staff looking after us. We always left a tip and buy the 3rd day I don`t think I was able to finish drinking a beer without having another full one in front of me.
And they were really good with our son.

The kids splash park was great, and so were the pools. I know people have said they were cold, but when its 80 degrees outside don`t you want a cold dip in a pool. As long as you were down at the pool or beach by 10.00am it was pretty easy to get good seats in the shade or sun. The beach was great to, lots of fish that swim around your feet, my son thought that was great.

The floors there are very slippery when wet. It rained a bit there at night and when some water gets on those floors look out. especially for kids who like to run. I saw several adults go down in a heap to. There also is a lounge by the conference rooms with a stocked fridge full of beer pop and juice. I hit this fridge a few times with my beach bag and loaded up with the beer and took it either to my room or down to the beach. Bring a cooler bag, they have ice machines there.

If your looking to buy tequila, don`t buy at the hotel stores. We were headed into Playa del Carmen to buy some. There is a store there that has a sample bar so you can try some really nice tequilas before you buy. On the way there in our cab our driver offered to take us to a liquor store 10 minutes down the highway, where all the stores in Playa del Carmen buy there liquor from. We gave him a couple bucks, he came back to pick us up at the markets and took us to this liquor store. I was able to buy 3 40's of good tequila for $70.00. The one bottle alone back here in Canada is sold for over $100.

We did have a good trip overall but I wouldn`t go back. For the money we spent we both thought it should have been better and there are alot of other hotels to choose from at that price point.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank eljustino
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 28 July 2016
Dear Guest:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us. I can see you and your family have enjoyed every time you spend.
We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. We look forward to welcome your family back in the future.

Warmest Regards
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#75 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,837 reviews

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!