Four people travelled to this hotel Mar 27-Apr 10. We decided to upgrade when we arrived which out us on the RM side, instead of the Yucatan, which we had originally booked. This gave us a nicer room, with a mini fridge and coffee maker and a lovely bathroom with a great shower. We do, actually, spend a fair amount of time in our room in the evenings after dinner, enjoying each other's company, since we rarely get to spend long evenings together. I couldn't imagine running for water everyday and not having coffee in the early morning hours. There was a snack bar that was hit or miss for coffee and pastries early, but luckily we could fall back on our own if all the carafe's were empty, or non-existant, which they were, more often than not.
Service was, for the most part, pretty good at the front desk, restaurants and bars. We called for an extra blanket and they were really fast. We asked to have our ground floor room sprayed after seeing an unwelcome guest and they were right on that too. Getting water and coffee in the buffets was often a wait, but whatever. We don't freak out over stuff like this. The food was quite good everywhere, the drinks were awesome.
The beach is nice, just what I had expected from the pictures. It's small but adequate. The lagoon side is good too, lots of kids, as it's calm for them.
The spring breakers the second week, from Spain, were very loud, but amusing. I don't think the families were very impressed. There were 170+ of them, and they certainly made themselves known!
I can't comment on the entertainment, as we always retire to our deck after an early dinner since we are up at 5:30 to watch the sun come up, so beautiful!
Location is very good, close to Playa, close to the Marina.
We went to Tulum ruins and from there, a short walk down the road to beautiful Paraiso beach for the day where we hung out at the Paraiso Beach Club. Awesome beach! We went to Coba for the day and it was a fantastic journey. Cozumel snorkelling was also great and had a wonderful massage on the Cozumel beach.The mighty fishermen had a great day on their own boat and caught a sailfish, a small tuna and a white marlin. Incredible!!
Now I'm going to sound like a snob. All in all, this was a good resort for the price we paid. I wouldn't go again but will instead continue with adults only themed resorts. We chose this resort based on a budget for other people travelling with us. It seemed like a solid 3.5 star resort, family oriented, ok beach, ok rooms. We knew what it was going in and had a very nice time here. I would certainly recommend this hotel to families or people looking for a good all around resort at a good price.
Let me add, this resort has a 5 star spa, it was gorgeous, the spa pool was totally amazing and the sauna, steam bath and spa showers were fab! The gym was really, really nice too.
Don't forget to tip the people who serve you!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Caribbean Sea's turquoise waters can be seen from this hotel-paradise. Come and get ready to spend some unforgettable days in the heart of the Mayan Riviera, surrounded by marvelous landscapes and seductive, white sand beaches. The hotel is located in the wonderful Puerto Aventuras development. This is a tourist development which boasts a marina for yachts, a golf course, restaurants and dolphin tanks, all within easy reach of the main Mayan Riviera attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Stayforlong S.L., TripOnline SA, Alpha Holidays Limited, Expedia, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Catalonia Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Puerto Aventuras, Mexico
- Catalonia Hotel Mexico
- Catalonia Rivera Maya
- Riviera Maya Catalonia
- Hotel Catalonia Riviera Maya
- Catalonia Riveria Maya
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Resort
- Catalonia Riviera Maya All Inclusive
- Catalonia Mexico