All reviews oyster bar eco gym water wings playa linda lobby bar lower pool waterpark area kids club rifle shooting italian buffet dark sand a la carte restaurants crocodile sanctuary water taxi kayak tour seafood kids pool
Reviewed 13 April 2018

We had a great trip at the Azul Resort last week . My review mainly focuses on the traveling with a baby/toddler. Ours was 16 months at the time. We had booked just our room with Sunwing and flew with WestJet in order for our dates to match our friends we were meeting from Winnipeg. Well 9 days before leaving Sunwing cancelled our friends vacation without reason. Never again will I book with Sunwing as this isn’t our first time having major issues with the company - which is to bad that this great resort is attached to them as I would definitely go back. Our friends ended up rebooking a flight laying over in Calgary in both directions however their vacation ended up costing over $1000 more. Once there the Sunwing rep didn’t even attempt to approach or contact us once ...
On arrival check in went fine - however Azul had none of the requests we had made though Sunwing (surprise surprise). We had asked for a crib in room and to be adjoining with our friends. Multiple attempts were made about these requests directly to the resort but never was successful in getting a response .
The hotel had originally put is in a kids room on the 15th floor main building. They told us to come back the next day and they would move us. This room would be great for families with older kids as it had two doubles and then a separate room with a bunk bed and sitting area with a tv. It didn’t have a bath tub though - only a large glass shower. This room was on the far left hand side of the resort directly looking over the mini golf and night show area . This was a problem putting our baby to bed at a decent time as the music and announcements were VERY loud in the room. So the next morning early my husband went down to switch our room - and he was told straight up no. I went down myself and after much rearranging the receptionist was able to move us right next to our friends on the 19th floor main building. It was great to be right next to them at night when baby went to bed we could spend time on the patio.
This was an awesome king room - plenty big and had a tub shower. Housekeeping did a great job and did turn down service and remaid our bed / towels every night. We had a crib brought up to us which my daughter slept fine in- I did bring my own sheet but linens were provided. I had bought a tent for her for the beach and it actually worked perfect at night to cover the crib so she was less distracted looking around. The mini fridge was empty but we knew that going in. Two bottles of water were provided every day but if you leave the maid a good tip and ask for extra water she will leave lots. We needed lots as we rinsed our bottles in bottled water. There was always lots on the bars to that you can grab at anytime as well.

The nice thing about Sunwing is the free room service- we did breakfast in the room a few days which was nice with our little one . Great for coffee in the morning to or balcony beers at night. Took about 20-30 mins. Highly recommend the omelet or club sandwich.

The food at the resort buffets was good - not amazing but good- breakfast was repetitive. We were always shocked that if we went for meals at what we thought regular times 9am, 1230, 6pm it was not busy at all even though the resort was full. They did get busier later and did see line ups occasionally. We only did buffet dinner twice once at Colores and once at the Mexican . We were under the impression that Colores was going to be Asian - definitely not anything Asian - I would say international. Desert options were not good at all at any buffet...

The snack bar was great for lunches (hot dog , burgers, chicken, nachos, pizza, fruit)- serve yourself and usually well stocked . Unfortunately you had to eat your food there and couldn’t bring it anywhere else.

The high chairs at all restaurants were kind of sketchy .... most didn’t have straps and my 1.5yr old liked to try climbing out as soon as she was done eating.

We made our reservations for dinners the day we got there - again we wanted the early seating 6 or 7pm which was great cause there was no problem booking and usually we were one of the only people in the restaurant. With Sunwing we got three al la carts and tried them all - the food and service at all were amazing. We were also booked for a Sunwing garden BBQ, and then a dinner show another night which were buffets as well. Costa Azul was great - fancier and fully indoors. The Caesar salad and Spanish coffees made table side were amazing. The Oyster bar was also really good food - and we timed it well with sunset which was super nice. We did lunch at the oyster bar one day as well which was really good - they got us in even though we didn’t have a reservation. Our favourite place for food was actually the La Terreza - yummy tuna steak. All of the al la carts had the same kids menu with the basics - breaded chicken, fish , spaghetti, etc . Most came with fries . I would have liked a vegetable option for our daughter but usually just gave her some of ours. We found it a little hard for our daughter to sit quietly for an entire meal service as all she wanted to do is run around.

The pools were all good . Of course everyone plays the towel game going out early and reserving their chairs that sit unoccupied most of the day . We played along in order to get good seats but was definitely annoying. The one day we didn’t there were pretty well no chairs left unreserved. The towels are numbered and you sign them out everyday so there’s no stealing. Usually we choose the lower pool - closest to snack bar / restrooms/ beach and swim up bar - the water was also cooler in this one. The kids play swim area would have been good for older kids . The one small slide had aggressive water shooting out of it so my daughter didn’t like it . She enjoyed wading around watching the older kids though. The lifeguards wouldn’t let us go down any of the slides with her (1 person at a time) . The pool has lots of single water wings. Wouldn’t have worked for our girls little arms so I was happy that I brought her circle floater from home. At the different stores and market you could buy other floaty toys and use them in the pools.

The pool servers are very attentive and will come to you all day after a tip . The drink selection was large and lots of different slushy kinds on the menu. Shockingly they had a light beer , a dark beer AND corona from the bottle . The lobby bar had even more options with different flavoured Vodkas and even baileys. Whisky drinkers you may be disappointed though - they had Canadian Mist - which apparently I was told was not good at all. The wine surprisingly was really good as well - I only had the whites and rose.

The beach is hard packed dark sand . We actually preferred this as you can walk around and use the stroller no problem . As well wasn’t as messy with our 1.5 year old. There are lots of chairs available down here and a guy goes around putting umbrellas in the ground for you wherever you want them. We had brought a pop up tent from home off amazon- so glad we did . Our girl afternoon napped a few days in it in the shade . The ocean is nice and calm and easily swim-able without any undertow.

Just down the beach about 5 min walk is playa Linda market. Good place to buy souvenirs or have an authentic Mexican meal. Make sure the check out the crocodile sanctuary here to. There is a few massage huts on the beach - seemed to get cheaper the closer to the market you got vs by the resort . I had red reviews that recommended the yellow hut. Had a very nice hour whole body massage and facial for 200 pesos.

A few days we put our girl in the baby club in the afternoon- I would highly recommend this for some mommy/ daddy relax time. The Mexican ladies here were fantastic although some of them didn’t speak the best English. They max 2 kids to one adult in the baby club. Usually my daughter was the only kid their and had tones of attention. It’s on the lobby bar floor easily accessible - nice and air conditioned with a little patio that backs onto the mini golf. Tones of toys. They have a separate little room that had a few cribs and toddler beds in it -each has a camera on the central monitor . I would put my daughter down here for a nap and she would sleep like a dream for a few hours. I’m not sure what time they opened at but they take lunch from 1-2 and close at 5pm. You need to leave your licence to sign them in. They won’t feed them - only bottles. I didn’t check out the older kids club so can’t comment on that. However we did play at the covered playpark which was nice and big and lots of fun for our girl.

I would recommend bringing powder formula for your little - I was glad I had packed a tub as ended up using this for milk bottles . We walked down to the oxxo and bought a few different types of there milk as we were unsure which was whole homogenized pasturized milk. Oddly milk is kept on the shelf not always the fridge - and the expiry date was months down the road. We tried our girl on it a few times - she drank it ... but it made her extremely hyperactive .. so maybe it’s high in sugar ?

One of the only cons to this resort was that it is not stroller / wheelchair friendly as there is a lot of stairs . After a few days we figured out where all the elevators where but it’s a lot of walking around pools and multiple lifts to get where you need to go.

The sunsets are amazing from the hotel over the island - we never actually checked out the island and was told it was very busy and we ran out of days. The boardwalk connects to the grand - we did check it out as this is the only place with an atm. Looked really nice but the beach was small and waves bigger.

All in all we thoroughly enjoyed ixtapa in general (hottest Mexico trip I’ve ever been on). It was nice that is was such a small airport . 20 mins taxi to airport - 450 pesos for a car , 950 pesos for a big van.

Would most definitely recommend this resort to friends(especially with kids) and would love to return one day .

• Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank KatrinaS537
Consuelo_calidad, Manager at Azul Ixtapa Beach Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2018

Dear Katrina:
Thank you for having taken your to provide us with your comments about the service provided during your stay.
Were happy to hear you had a pleasant stay with us and thank you choosing Azul Ixtapa Hotels as your vacation home!

Reviewed 13 April 2018 via mobile

Today we returned from a week stay at Azul Ixtapa. This was our second trip which now included two children under 4. The king room with a balcony on the 14th floor was excellent and close to all the action. Everything is exceptionally clean including all the washrooms on the grounds.
The pools are fun, there was always a place to sit and enjoy the activities. All of the restaurants were delicious and clean. We found there were almost no mosquitos at dusk which at other resorts we've been attacked.
Make sure to say hi to Miguel at Costa Azul a la carte, he is one of the friendliest people you will ever meet as well as Rudy at the open air buffet or Yolanda and Angela at Colores. The staff are so accommodating and will go above and beyond to ensure you have all you need.

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank kdponte
Consuelo_calidad, General Manager at Azul Ixtapa Beach Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2018

Dear client:

Reviewed 11 April 2018

Al E Cartes were very tasty, Great service at the Infinity pool. Very clean everywhere and the resort workers were very friendly. The snack bar at the infinity pool and the buffet was okay. Not a lot of variety, but I would go back !!

Date of stay: March 2018

Dear Guest:

Reviewed 11 April 2018 via mobile

Came here for a wedding and have not been pleased at all. The food options are horrible, the buffet has themed nights, one of which was french. Not exactly what I expect in Mexico. The beach itself is not great, you need to pay an extra fee to take a boat to another beach. They will nickel and dime you for EVERYTHING. We had a friend come join us for the afternoon, we had to pay a full night even though they wouldn’t let him stay in my room, which had an extra bed because it needs to be approved by the hotel “coordinator”. For dinner they just recycle the lunch leftovers and call them tacos now. Not to mention most of the rooms and hallways smell like sewage. The beer is warm, and piña coladas are liquid. The staff is pretty rude and arrogant.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Consuelo_calidad, Manager at Azul Ixtapa Beach Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2018

Dear client:

We will follow up on the observations mentioned.
We hope that in a near future you will consider giving us the opportunity to provide you with the service you deserve.
Please contac us to calidad@azulixtapa.com.mx

Reviewed 8 April 2018

My mom and I go on a trip every year now, this would be our third time going to Mexico. To get right to the point, I found this hotel and the staff here to be very welcoming, and warming. They remembered my mom and I, greeted us daily, took great care of us even after I had an incident with someone on the beach. I'd like to personally thank and acknowledge the manager of the hotel, he was very accommodating and I really appreciated that. Delfino and the rest of the crew behind the counter were amazing. Bernardo Marin in particular, with the rest of the friends/staff there, were so nice to me and my mom. I will never forget the staff there, I call you my friends and I thank you for our experience. I look forward to coming back and visiting.

Date of stay: February 2018