All reviews oyster bar eco gym water wings playa linda lobby bar waterpark area kids club italian buffet a la carte restaurants crocodile reserve seafood canadian money kayak tour water taxi kids pool pesos per person life guards
Reviewed 4 February 2016

Had a wonderful week at azul ixtapa Jan. 21-28. Only a couple complaints...no wifi in room, pool was here and there, but definitely wasn't a deal breaker. We had requested a balcony thru our booking agent but weren't granted one...even after weekend visitors left. Apparently you have to book a balcony at time of booking trip, which we weren't given the option from redtag..but had talked to people who also hadn't booked balcony but were offered one...just cuz...when we asked, we had to pay an extra fee... Didn't want to pay that much more ...ANYWAY..was still a wonderful week..staff is unbelievable, stayed at the Grand last year and really preferred this to the Grand. The room was clean, bright, we had water supplied each day. We will definitely be back...only not book thru redtag so we can can have the option of getting a balcony. Loved, loved, loved it

Room Tip: Make sure when you are booking you BOOK a balcony room, or you will prob pay extra
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2016

We had an outstanding week at Azul Ixtapa with our boys aged 6 and 8, along with my brother and his family with kids, 7 and 9. Almost everything was just what we needed, but there are always a few things that could be improved.....hence the 4 out of 5.

Check-in took about 15 minutes after arriving from an easy 25 minute bus ride through Sun Wing. Our room was not ready but my brothers was, so we simply put our stuff there and got our room very soon after. The front desk staff speak english very well and were very helpful through the week.

On one note, about Sun Wing......make sure you book your seats on the plane together in advance. We arrived at original airport and our kids were not set to sit with us. $20 fee to sit together essentially.

After getting to the resort we went down to the Pizzeria/Snack Bar to grab a bite and then off to the pools. The snack bar is perfect for some quick food midday. Burgers, hot dogs, fries, chips/fresh salsa, chicken, pizza and more. It was a great choice for us and super convenient.

There are several pools available. we seemed to always end up by the activities pool nearest the ocean as it allowed us to keep an eye on the kids as they learned the resort. There is a great kids pool with small waterslides, which our kids did use occasionally, but I think they are ideal for kids younger than my 6 year old. Shallow pool and fun slides. There is also another kids/shallow pool up top by the other main pool. This is also great for young kids. We did check out the adults only area, but there was rarely anyone using it as the other pools was where all the fun was. The swim up bar is available but it actually seemed a little messy most often and we generally stayed away. The pool bar nearest the gym and kids pool was the best. Fili was always ready to find the next best drink for us, or get some great options for the kids. He is the best and works very hard, amidst the wasps. Yes, wasps. There are tons of them around the pool bars (sugar from drinks) and some around the pools, but I never saw anyone complain of bites/stings. There were also activities going on all day from exercise groups at gym or pool, to bingo around the pool and water polo or volleyball. They work hard to give everyone an option to enjoy. The other thing is there are always people around cleaning up or mopping up water to keep it nice, clean and safe.

There are many activities included in your all-inclusive package. My brother and I enjoyed the kayaking tour as you kayak out to the nearby Ixtapa Island and then go for a short snorkeling session. There are also bike tours available daily and much more. We also rented boogie boards, and jet-skis one day. This was all fun but I do wish the boogie boards were included in your package. Also, it would have been great to be able to take out kayaks whenever you wish, but they only have the tours (several times a day). There are also ping-pong tables, basketball net, and outdoor gym which you have access. In the evenings there is a games area with ping-pong, pool tables, board games, foose ball to keep the family entertained.

The beach, is just ok. Everyone has said it here. It is not a white sand beautiful beach, but, we had a great time with the kids. The water is warm, the waves are big enough to have a lot of fun in, but not too dangerous. We were pleasantly surprised compared to most reviews we have read. we were swimming in the ocean every day usually more than once.

From the beach is a short walk down to the pier where you can hop on the water taxi for only 40 pesos each over to Ixtapa Island. You must do this. Amazing views, very nice beaches, cheap beer and fresh food options. This is at additional costs, but I wish we would have went more than once. I could easily spend a couple days over there. No resorts on this island, just small vendors. Also a good spot for "ok" snorkeling. The kids and I enjoyed it.

Restaurants. I should start by saying this is one of the reasons I say it is a 4 out of 5. The food was "ok." I would never starve but it is not amazing. Several buffets all very similar. Breakfast is available at Mexican, Italian, and Colores. All have omelette stations and a selection of hot and cold foods. For lunch we always hit the snack bar. Dinner, we had the few a la Cartes and other days was buffets. The best a la carte in our opinion was Costa Azul (mediterranean). They had the best food and the best service. You got to try the fresh made/table side caesar salad. We were able to bring the kids here as well which was nice. My wife and I went to Oyster Bar and thought it was very average. The view is amazing, the food was just ok. We found often through the week, fish is always under-cooked, and steak/beef is either under or over-cooked. But.....our expectation was not 5 star, so no real complaints. we also went to the buffet/steak house on Wednesday night. This was unique as it is cooked to order meat and you should go, but again don't go with too high of expectations. I believe this is only once a week, so get your reservation.

The buffets were always alright. walk in, have a look around and see if you like what you see. You will get enough to eat.

We also ordered spaghetti from room service several times as I have a very fussy son. He liked it and it was always very quick.

It has been mentioned they cater to Mexican tourists. That is probably true....I think more than half of the people there were local tourists. This was never a problem, but there is definitely a more Mexican/Spanish feel. Much of the entertainment is also in Spanish. Very funny when the knock off Disney show was on.

One more thing I have to talk about is the Kids Club. My kids (especially my 6 year old) loved this. The people in there were always great. Tons of fun stuff to do and it changed every day. Mini-golf, crafts, cooking, soccer, pool games, tennis, meeting iguanas, and much more. My 6 year old spent an entire day once. You can feel very confident your kids are in good hands, safe, and will have a ton of fun. They also have a huge playground inside the kids club area which is shaded from the sun as well.

The sun was ever present. Hot, every day. The weather was amazing for an entire week (end of January 2016).

The room was a very normal hotel room. Everything we needed. Air conditioning worked well. I found the bed too soft (is that possible?). Only disappointed we couldn't get a balcony.....sold out. Request a balcony and request high up. Have heard it can be loud down low. We were in 1723. good location.

Also, take a left outside of the resort for a 10 minute walk to the Oxo (7-11 essentially) and across the street is the Crocodile viewing, and a complete Mexican market for all your souvenirs. We didn't go into Ixtapa and I wish we would have known about this market earlier. If coming from the beach side it is just to the right of the pier (apparently) off of Playa Lynda (large public beach).

This is the first time I wrote a review as it was the first time at an all-inclusive with my kids. I think this is a great choice. Great price, great weather, great staff, great fun and I would go back......and recommend you do to.

Room Tip: Choose higher floors, ask for balcony. all face the ocean.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
13  Thank Grant G
Reviewed 31 January 2016

We flew through a Sunwing/Signature Vacations charter. Getting through the airport was very quick, and then about 20 minutes on an AC bus to the resort.

The resort itself is very well maintained, we got checked in within a few minutes. The room was excellent - small desk, flat screen tv (never used), double beds, and a breathtaking view of Ixtapa island. Best ocean view we've ever had at any resort.

The resort is very compact - within 5 minutes you're at one of two pools, and then another few minutes you're in the ocean.

Definitely a family oriented resort. Lots of kids everywhere. It's also a resort where many locals go - in fact, we've never been at a resort with such a high population of locals - very cool.

The beach itself doesn't compare to others like Punta Cana or Huatulco. Dark, wet sand, and the ocean water right off the beach is dark (lots of silt in the water).

However, you can take a (40 peso, round trip) water taxi to Ixtapa island - and that's where you're find the gorgeous clear water, with snorkeling right off the beach. Lots of beach restaurants, snorkel rental, etc. Awesome.

The food at the resort is (I believe) geared for the locals, so if you like "real" Mexican food, you'll be very pleased.

Staff were super friendly. Remembered you, spoke English very well.

Considering some other resorts a little south can be twice as much, I would strongly recommend this one for family trips. A great experience! (PS: It's not a good location for singles wanting to meet other singles.)

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
8  Thank DanBelhassen
Reviewed 31 January 2016 via mobile

I travel 3-5 weeks a year south to Mexico and Cuba... this hotel has many weird quirks where it could be Soooooo much better if they just tweaked a few things. Example... it is sometimes nice to sit in a lobby bar in the morning or afternoon and have a drink or coffee... here the lobby bar opens at 5pm and closes at 12am. Crazy no place to get a drink... think you'll head to your room and pull a beer out of the fridge... nope think again the fridge is empty, only in the rooms for "medication"... what??? Anyway rooms are nice and very clean... unfortunately I would not recommend this place for anyone that is awake after midnight or doesn't swim all day in the cool pool! LOL so not a 4* carful about all the happy reviews... if you are one that doesn't like to follow the "heard" Look elsewhere.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank suzy d
Reviewed 30 January 2016

This hotel has a good location with amazing a-la-carte restaurants. Lots of staff to keep it clean and efficient. Ample washrooms throughout the property. Wonderful views from pretty much any of the large, well appointed rooms. Definitely would return here.

Room Tip: The higher up, the better
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple